Domestic Helpers

Old Jul 10th 2012, 11:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Domestic Helpers

Originally Posted by Ethos83
Yes...the British expats who sneer at people for having maids, yet who have no qualms driving fancy cars or wearing expensive clothes and watches/jewelry or spending a thousand AED on a single night out. A maid can be a status symbol but so can lots of other things. It's just easier to pick on maids.
British Expats...Like crabs in a basket .....
Old Jul 10th 2012, 11:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

LaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britexpat76
I think the point is not about a maid as a status symbol but people using them to quite frankly do the work they should do with their children.

Lets pop a few rugrats out, the maid will look after them whilst we head off to saffron for brunch, sit by the pool etc etc.....
But that isn't the reality for everyone. Many, many families out here rely on maids to look after the children whilst the mothers work. Not everyone's husband earns enough for the mother to stay at home.

Or is anyone suggesting that children should be the preserve of the rich, where the wife doesn't have to work?
Old Jul 10th 2012, 11:22 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LaLaLayla
But that isn't the reality for everyone. Many, many families out here rely on maids to look after the children whilst the mothers work. Not everyone's husband earns enough for the mother to stay at home.

Or is anyone suggesting that children should be the preserve of the rich, where the wife doesn't have to work?
I think some people forget that moving overseas can mean you leave behind a support structure of family and friends who are happy to help out.

I also don't see why having children means you have to spend all your spare time with them. It's healthy for a couple to have time together, without the children. Doesn't mean parents love them less, just that they realise that they have a life too.
Old Jul 10th 2012, 11:27 pm
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LaLaLayla

Now that wouldn't be a bad thing in the UK. Though Jeremy Kyle's career would be screwed.

I was not talking day to day, the point was that people take their maids to the pools, restaurants even home with them. These are times the family should be together as a unit and the parents being parents. I fully understand during a working week with 2 working parents a maid is a necessity without the help of family around, but people still have stay at home mums and a Maid!
Old Jul 11th 2012, 12:34 am
BE Enthusiast

the_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond repute

I have no issue with a nanny looking after the children whilst both parents are out to work, and of course couples should have some non-children time together (that's what babysitters are for). My issue is where parents devolve responsibility to the nanny almost entirely.

Stay at home mums with one child and a full time nanny (I know of at least one), that's just silly. And, if parents are too tired to look after their children when they get home from work or at weekends they're still to tired or their priorities are elsewhere, then I question both their work-life balance and also their commitment to true parenthood.
Old Jul 11th 2012, 1:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

my idea of easy parenthood..
artificial insemination
surrogate mother
nanny til 6
boarding school until old enough to go and earn a living
Old Jul 11th 2012, 1:03 am
BE Forum Addict

al dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned
my idea of easy parenthood..
artificial insemination
surrogate mother
nanny til 6
boarding school until old enough to go and earn a living
You missed out the school hols with grandparents.
Old Jul 11th 2012, 1:15 am

Welivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
I think some people forget that moving overseas can mean you leave behind a support structure of family and friends who are happy to help out.

I also don't see why having children means you have to spend all your spare time with them. It's healthy for a couple to have time together, without the children. Doesn't mean parents love them less, just that they realise that they have a life too.
+1
Old Jul 11th 2012, 1:25 am
BE Enthusiast

the_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by al dente
And, final checking you into a care home and making ever shorter and increasingly disgruntled weekly visits.
Old Jul 11th 2012, 1:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by al dente
they can stay at the school during holidays darling

Originally Posted by abz_to_dbx
And, final checking you into a care home and making ever shorter and increasingly disgruntled weekly visits.
Fortunately I don't have children, I will be checking myself out when the time comes, no care home for me darling
Old Jul 11th 2012, 2:40 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

biggest myth ever...spending time with your kids is 'fun'...
Old Jul 11th 2012, 3:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by MataHari
Old Jul 11th 2012, 3:11 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Heretic!

It is supposed to be THE most wonderful thing in the world, ever. All children are angels, as are all mothers. I know it's true - I read it on EW.

Old Jul 11th 2012, 5:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
I was at Atlantis the other day, I was shocked at the amount of Maids that were in the foyer with their families checking in. Can people not even look after their kids when they are on holiday?
Do the kids who are raised by maids respect the maids? Do they see them as part of the family (assuming the maid essentially was their mother) ?
Old Jul 11th 2012, 5:29 am
Perky but sarky

lullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond repute

Really?You must be kidding right? Good trolling...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.