Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Does the sand pit cover Sinai Egypt!!

Does the sand pit cover Sinai Egypt!!

Old Sep 8th 2012, 11:16 am
Forum Regular

taz60-annie62 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Does the sand pit cover Sinai Egypt!!

Does the SandPit site cover expats living in Sinai, Egypt?. Have looked on Africa and cannot see any threads from our neck of the woods.

What do any UK expats think of the rubbish ruling from HMRC = we only get S.R.P. flat rate. That means without any annual index linking, or the winter fuel allowance of 200UKP, or the Christmas bonus of 12 UKP that other expats who reside in EU countries or a "few other countries" are able to receive. Heat is as much a problem as the cold for pensioners. So we out here in the Middle East have to pay for aircon expenses. Also for 3 months it is very cold here so we have heating on anyway end November - start of March. The lucky expats who get the winter fuel allowance in Spain Portugal Cyprus etc.live in climates that can reach 40 degrees and have mild winters. As for the Christmas bonus I presume the HMRC & government think we don't celebrate it just because we happen to retire to a non-christian country!!!

Personally I think it's disraceful double standards by our government - are not all pensioners the same - we paid into the country in tax's & N/I contributions all our lives as our EU counterparts did yet we are penalised by penny pinching beaurocratics.
Old Sep 8th 2012, 11:40 am
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Does the sand pit cover Sinai Egypt!!

This has got to be a wind up - you should write a letter to 7days, in fact.....
Old Sep 8th 2012, 5:32 pm
Forum Regular

taz60-annie62 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Kix - nice of you to read my thread & place a response which seems to give some advice but then justs ...... off. So I don't get the point of what your trying to say to me. Also who should I write a letter to?. Would appreciate any help and support. My question is definately not a wind up and I posted it because I would be grateful to know 2 things.
1) do I post in The Sanpit if I live in Sinai? - if not can anyone advise where I post a thread for expats in my neck of the woods please.
2) can any UK expats in receipt of SRP confirm if they also lose out on some of the add-on benefits pensioners in UK or EU or 'certain other countries' get without any blocking, because there's a get-out clause which means the UK powers can save a few quid. If we are all entitled then I will argue the point with HMRC. If not entitled can anyone give advice as to why we are excluded X
Old Sep 8th 2012, 10:49 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by taz60-annie62
Does the SandPit site cover expats living in Sinai, Egypt?. Have looked on Africa and cannot see any threads from our neck of the woods.

What do any UK expats think of the rubbish ruling from HMRC = we only get S.R.P. flat rate. That means without any annual index linking, or the winter fuel allowance of 200UKP, or the Christmas bonus of 12 UKP that other expats who reside in EU countries or a "few other countries" are able to receive. Heat is as much a problem as the cold for pensioners. So we out here in the Middle East have to pay for aircon expenses. Also for 3 months it is very cold here so we have heating on anyway end November - start of March. The lucky expats who get the winter fuel allowance in Spain Portugal Cyprus etc.live in climates that can reach 40 degrees and have mild winters. As for the Christmas bonus I presume the HMRC & government think we don't celebrate it just because we happen to retire to a non-christian country!!!

Personally I think it's disraceful double standards by our government - are not all pensioners the same - we paid into the country in tax's & N/I contributions all our lives as our EU counterparts did yet we are penalised by penny pinching beaurocratics.

You cannot post here unless you have an EIDA card..
Old Sep 8th 2012, 11:10 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

My last post was kind of tongue in cheek .... however...you appear to be retired but researched little about your designated Nirvana?
Anyway,regardless of your reside,you have happened upon a forum wherein one of the most senior
(in terms of forum membership),regular,current &kindest(she freely provides advice - which would cost you plenty from other companies) and will probably help you out of your dilemma for the price of a please and thank you..

Send Meow a pm.

Last edited by Eva; Sep 8th 2012 at 11:14 pm.
Old Sep 8th 2012, 11:19 pm
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Eva
My last post was kind of tongue in cheek .... however...you appear to be retired but researched little about your designated Nirvana?
Anyway,regardless of your reside,you have happened upon a forum wherein one of the most senior
(in terms of forum membership),regular,current &kindest(she freely provides advice - which would cost you plenty from other companies) and will probably help you out of your dilemma for the price of a please and thank you..

Send Meow a pm.
Eva, I love you!
Old Sep 8th 2012, 11:48 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Kix
Eva, I love you!
Really?
You can call me Evie then....