British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Do you consider yourself to be European? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/do-you-consider-yourself-european-716113/)

weasel central May 8th 2011 12:52 pm

Re: Do you consider yourself to be European?

Originally Posted by Ethos83 (Post 9350633)
Britain is in Europe but not of Europe.

If pressed back into a corner I'd have to admit that yes, the British are Europeans, but it would be like confessing to a dirty little truth better kept in secrecy. The odd thing is that like most Brits I admire and value the immense cultural heritage of the continent, but at the same time I don't consider myself European at all.

The thinking is wholly the British versus the Europeans. Island mentality and our geography also allowed for the evolution of a quite distinct history and even culture.

The Scottish devolution movement could make for some very interesting times - as Britain is forced to openly discuss what it means to be British versus English/Scottish/Welsh - which could make us even more aware of our keen distinctness from the continent.

(By the way, I don't think devolution will actually happen. It'll come close as the Bloc Quebecois did in Canada in the mid-1990s, but they'll never quite succeed).

Why do you think its a loss of Britishness to be European? Old history and culture is that..history. Being European is just a wider category above nation status and wont change what history or culture existed from before.
Its not like we will be seeing roadsigns in German in the UK anytime soon.

Unless being British comes down to very simple things like having the Queen's head on your coins?
I just find the attitude curious that to be European detracts from being British somehow.

Hello.Kitty May 8th 2011 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by weasel central (Post 9350667)
Why do you think its a loss of Britishness to be European? Old history and culture is that..history. Being European is just a wider category above nation status and wont change what history or culture existed from before.
Its not like we will be seeing roadsigns in German in the UK anytime soon.

Unless being British comes down to very simple things like having the Queen's head on your coins?
I just find the attitude curious that to be European detracts from being British somehow.

I find it highly ironic since many Brits have very little idea of how European the UK population actually is. The Angles and Britons have long since been intermingled with Norse, Saxons, Franks, Celts (er, who else?! Join the queue!) and our whole country has been shaped for the last 1000 years by our tit-for-tat dealings with France... they invaded us (imposed their nobility on us, changed our language and some customs - Dover Castle = French... Tower of London = haha French!) and then we took over 1/3 of France... in fact, Richard the Lionheart, King of England, apparently spent most of his life in France (who wouldn't?!) and spoke very little English.

I love "state you ethnic origin" forms for this exact reason.

Paracletus May 8th 2011 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by norsk (Post 9350538)
Anyway what do I know? I am foreigner talking out of turn...:rofl:

Out of interest, do you feel decidely Norwegian or European? I always found that the Danes were quite European in mentality versus the Norwegians and Swedes having a more coherent Scandinavian identity. A Scandinavian super state could be interesting.

shiftdelete May 8th 2011 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty (Post 9350695)
I find it highly ironic since many Brits have very little idea of how European the UK population actually is. The Angles and Britons have long since been intermingled with Norse, Saxons, Franks, Celts (er, who else?! Join the queue!) and our whole country has been shaped for the last 1000 years by our tit-for-tat dealings with France... they invaded us (imposed their nobility on us, changed our language and some customs - Dover Castle = French... Tower of London = haha French!) and then we took over 1/3 of France... in fact, Richard the Lionheart, King of England, apparently spent most of his life in France (who wouldn't?!) and spoke very little English.

I love "state you ethnic origin" forms for this exact reason.

Don’t forget the Dutch
If the Turks are allowed to join the EU (as Cameron seems to want) then no I won't feel european.

weescot May 8th 2011 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 9350630)
But the question is about feeling European or part of Europe, not are you European geographically or politically.

Personally, I can see how you can separate out the emotional, geographical and political affinity/connection that makes up or identifies "Europe". For me all elements influence each other. (Religion can be added in there for a really lively debate).

As has been said, Europe is a continent which we are geographically part of, but we are not physically connected to - this is relevant to me as the island mentality is connected to how we "feel", IMHO.

The story that you referenced with your question relates to a day celebrating a political union of 27 European countries - of course it is connected as the whloe EU thing has indeed effected how people "feel" about being European, and it seems, making us feel more British than European from some of the responses posted..

typical May 8th 2011 2:18 pm

I feel European - Britain is very connected to Europe, so much of our history comes from dealings with Europe (including the race to Empire), and our economy depends on Europe.

I think the SNP will need Ireland (in particular) to pull itself out of the hole its in before it has any chance making a good claim for independence.

Spugsy May 8th 2011 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 9350462)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-13321460 It's Europe Day tomorow...

This article got me thinking. As a Brit do you consider yourself to be fully part of Europe? Or is it still a case of 'fog in channel, continent cut off' ?

I don't even consider myself a Brit. I'm English. In fact bollocks, I'm a Geordie.

Chris_m May 8th 2011 3:57 pm

I agree with the above, am not british am scottish :D

norsk May 8th 2011 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by weescot (Post 9350550)
Sweetie - the question is asked on the back of a press report posted about the EU - I read the article first before posting my reply...

I haven't been called sweetie for years..feels kind of like I've just been told off by my gran :D (by the way I have no idea how old you are and mean no disrespect)

anyway i read the article as well, but interpreted the question as more general..

norsk May 8th 2011 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by Paracletus (Post 9350704)
Out of interest, do you feel decidely Norwegian or European? I always found that the Danes were quite European in mentality versus the Norwegians and Swedes having a more coherent Scandinavian identity. A Scandinavian super state could be interesting.

I am Norwegian, Scandinavian, and then European. Scandinavians are proud of their Norse heritage and tend to have more in common with each other than people further down on the continent (except for England of course where I saw research some years ago that up to 30% of people in the East and North-East are of Norwegian and Danish heritage).

The Danes tend to be more European due to their geographical location.

shiftdelete May 8th 2011 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by norsk (Post 9351023)
I haven't been called sweetie for years..feels kind of like I've just been told off by my gran :D (by the way I have no idea how old you are and mean no disrespect)

anyway i read the article as well, but interpreted the question as more general..

:rofl: don't be daft mate, its the ultimate put (or should that be pat)-down- its even worse than a 'girl' calling you cute.

weescot May 8th 2011 6:08 pm

Youhoo - granny here (that did make me laugh)

Originally Posted by norsk (Post 9351023)

I thinki I was the only poster that read the question a bit too deeply. Practicing for PhD I suppose ...

Originally Posted by norsk (Post 9351037)
I am Norwegian, Scandinavian, and then European. Scandinavians are proud of their Norse heritage and tend to have more in common with each other than people further down on the continent (except for England of course where I saw research some years ago that up to 30% of people in the East and North-East are of Norwegian and Danish heritage).

The Danes tend to be more European due to their geographical location.

Err - some posters might remind you about the Viking invasion ;) You also will find quite a few Scots that have some Norwegian ancestry.

norsk May 8th 2011 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by weescot (Post 9351061)
Err - some posters might remind you about the Viking invasion ;) You also will find quite a few Scots that have some Norwegian ancestry.

Which is what I was referring to..

norsk May 8th 2011 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by shiftdelete (Post 9351046)
:rofl: don't be daft mate, its the ultimate put (or should that be pat)-down- its even worse than a 'girl' calling you cute.

i am aware of that but can't be bothered to get upset about it..

The Dean May 8th 2011 7:46 pm

1 Attachment(s)
http://www.eupledge.com/sign_up_now.html

http://www.ukip.org/helpukip