Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

do expats drink more than they did in uk and if so, why?

Wikiposts

do expats drink more than they did in uk and if so, why?

Old Aug 13th 2009, 10:01 pm
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: do expats drink more than they did in uk and if so, why?

Originally Posted by MataHari
I certainly drink more pepsi...
I thought you were en route to Phuket or are you already there ?
Old Aug 13th 2009, 10:55 pm
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Having recently been back in Gods Country, I would love to know where you can drink cheaper than the UK, in Dubai...

Even with the discount cards etc, I can't get a pint of my preferred foaming ale for under 28dhs, which equates to over 4 quid a pint..

I get my monthly delivery from Centaurus and a case of the stuff costs over 220dhs. Granted, that means under 2 quid a can, but I can buy a case of the stuff back in the UK for less than 1 pound a can....

You sure you aint chuggin' back the sid?????
Old Aug 13th 2009, 11:02 pm
Forum Regular

Danajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really nice

Well that explains it - the difference between the UK and specifically Gods Country - good ol Yorkshire Ale - can't beat it and price is right aswell for our moth ridden wallets. Take me to the Black Sheep Brewery anyday in Masham - I better stop doing this to myself - it's not helping and I'm only one week into Riyadh living!!!
Old Aug 13th 2009, 11:12 pm
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danajj
Well that explains it - the difference between the UK and specifically Gods Country - good ol Yorkshire Ale - can't beat it and price is right aswell for our moth ridden wallets. Take me to the Black Sheep Brewery anyday in Masham - I better stop doing this to myself - it's not helping and I'm only one week into Riyadh living!!!
Surely an oxymoron.......
Old Aug 13th 2009, 11:56 pm
Forum Regular

Danajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really nice

Who you calling Shirley?? I'm sorry I couldn't help it...it's the sun...
Old Aug 14th 2009, 12:21 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

Who you calling Shirley?? I'm sorry I couldn't help it...it's the sun...
S'funny.. I cant access the Sun from work.....
Old Aug 14th 2009, 12:24 am
Forum Regular

Well - look on the bright side - at least you have access to BritishExpats to help whittle down the hours at work. In a way I wish I was at work also instead of being stuck in a hotel room on my tod.
Old Aug 14th 2009, 12:28 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

Well - look on the bright side - at least you have access to BritishExpats to help whittle down the hours at work. In a way I wish I was at work also instead of being stuck in a hotel room on my tod.
I am stuck in the Northern Sahara for another week yet, having to put up with my employers medieval views of what is, and what is not acceptable to access on the World Wide Intersphere.....
Old Aug 14th 2009, 1:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=TGFKASE;7842829]Having recently been back in Gods Country, I would love to know where you can drink cheaper than the UK, in Dubai...
QUOTE]

are you from Kerala?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Gods_own_country.jpg
Old Aug 14th 2009, 1:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MataHari
I certainly drink more pepsi...
Well, I can't shake my habit of Coke/Pepsi...Even though lately I'm drinking more glasses of milk/week than soft drinks/week...
Old Aug 14th 2009, 1:40 am
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=EmiratesMillhouse;7843179]
Originally Posted by TGFKASE
Having recently been back in Gods Country, I would love to know where you can drink cheaper than the UK, in Dubai...
QUOTE]

are you from Kerala?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Gods_own_country.jpg
Looks like there's a few places picked by God

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God's_Own_Country
Old Aug 14th 2009, 3:04 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

John Angus, who lived in Glen Esk, just south of Aberdeenshire, and died about the mid 1980s, wrote a poem about this glen ....

Genesis

They say, when god the father made the earth,

He rolled between His palms its rocks and clays

Then breathed upon it to give life a birth.

And it was done, and set into its place.

But ere he sent it spinning into space

he gave it one last little pat in love.

And there the mark remains, upon the face

of Angus - the thumb the Tay, and then above,

Glens Isla, Prosen, Clova, Esk, these four

God's fingers fashioned, and his palm, Strathmore.

Four fair green glens reach far into the west,

And of them all, the loveliest and best

In Esk - Glen Esk by loving gesture given,

God's little finger left the mark of heaven.
Old Aug 14th 2009, 4:21 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

When you come from angus, and your name has angus in it...and your father was a pioneer of safe hillwalking in the very areas you mention...

Tear in the eye moment...

Our dogs were called corrie and fee...

Jings I'm blessed...
Old Aug 14th 2009, 4:25 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Incidently, I still have mIchael, the current earl of strathmore's hat in my house here.

He was a wee lad when he gave it to my dad.

Glamis castle, edzil. Etc etc is scotlands forgotten treasure, and coming from there, I'm glad
Old Aug 14th 2009, 4:30 am
Account Closed

ceres is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Timmy Molloy - London Boy
LOL, imagine going to Sharjah looking for booze.
There is a place that he calls the 'hole in the wall'. I have never been, but apparently worth the trip as it is much cheaper than the place at MOE.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.