British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Discovery Gardens (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/discovery-gardens-620859/)

Spugsy Jul 18th 2009 1:32 pm

Discovery Gardens

Ok we need somewhere cheapish to live, just found this great place at Discovery Gardens, 1 bed place, 100k sq ft, brand new, AED 60k with 12 cheques and then 13th month free - thats half what we're paying now, went to Ibn Butta mall which is 5 mins away and that was ok.

It seems great to be honest, quite quiet and near the marina (ish),

so....any bad points about living there?

:unsure:

Blue Cat Jul 18th 2009 2:07 pm

Re: Discovery Gardens

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 7763604)
Ok we need somewhere cheapish to live, just found this great place at Discovery Gardens, 1 bed place, 100k sq ft, brand new, AED 60k with 12 cheques and then 13th month free - thats half what we're paying now, went to Ibn Butta mall which is 5 mins away and that was ok.

It seems great to be honest, quite quiet and near the marina (ish),

it's quite a way out of town further from your office than Mirdif, it can be a nightmare to get out of during term time, but the road systems are getting better. Mrs Spugsy will be spend a fortune on salik, apart from that it is a nice enough area :) 60k is well cheap!!

Spugsy Jul 18th 2009 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 7763664)
it's quite a way out of town further from your office than Mirdif, it can be a nightmare to get out of during term time, but the road systems are getting better. Mrs Spugsy will be spend a fortune on salik, apart from that it is a nice enough area :) 60k is well cheap!!

it seems spot on to me, I'm closer to the marina, some lads I work with live there.

Think we'll go for it.

Oh aye, and a ground floor so Santi can go out from time to time.

Blue Cat Jul 18th 2009 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 7763713)
it seems spot on to me, I'm closer to the marina, some lads I work with live there.

Think we'll go for it.

Oh aye, and a ground floor so Santi can go out from time to time.

that is one thing I do like about Disco Gardens is the landscaping, it looks really nice :)

Foxes Jul 18th 2009 2:48 pm

I would make a few inquries about this issue with your landlord and make sure they do not try and pass on such costs to you ?!

http://www.thenational.ae/apps/pbcs....707179811/1041

Spugsy Jul 18th 2009 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by Foxes (Post 7763723)
I would make a few inquries about this issue with your landlord and make sure they do not try and pass on such costs to you ?!

http://www.thenational.ae/apps/pbcs....707179811/1041

yeah we looked into hidden fees, but these seem for homeowners, we're renting.

Razzy Jul 20th 2009 4:34 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 7763730)
yeah we looked into hidden fees, but these seem for homeowners, we're renting.

If you didnt already ask - I recommend that you check about the charging for consumption of Chilled Water for the A/C. I believe that there are no individual meters and thats why the service charges to owners looks so horrendous. The rent sounds fab if your landlord is paying for the chilled water. If you have to pay it, you might just get an apportioned bill which is clearly unfair as you have no control over these costs.

Spugsy Jul 20th 2009 6:49 am

Originally Posted by Razzy (Post 7766953)
If you didnt already ask - I recommend that you check about the charging for consumption of Chilled Water for the A/C. I believe that there are no individual meters and thats why the service charges to owners looks so horrendous. The rent sounds fab if your landlord is paying for the chilled water. If you have to pay it, you might just get an apportioned bill which is clearly unfair as you have no control over these costs.

hmmmm this is the one thing, apparently you don't pay, but it does say in the contract they can start charging you at any time, he reckons as its the government they won't charge - I'll speak to him more this afternoon.

lionheart Jul 20th 2009 11:03 am

Are Discovery Gardens the 3-4 storey blocks in walking distance of Ibn Battuta Mall or those pink tower blocks further away? The Metro should be useful for you when it opens. Why not go for something bigger?

Spugsy Jul 20th 2009 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 7767563)
Are Discovery Gardens the 3-4 storey blocks in walking distance of Ibn Battuta Mall or those pink tower blocks further away? The Metro should be useful for you when it opens. Why not go for something bigger?

thats them (not the pink ones).

lionheart Jul 20th 2009 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 7767811)
thats them (not the pink ones).

Very nice but personally I would go for a 2-bed version so you can accommodate guests. One word of caution. Get yourself House Contents Insurance with a Tenants Liability section as Nakheel (the owners) are bastards when it comes to fire damage. I dealt with a fire there and the poor tenant got stuck with a AED75,000 bill for structural damage because the Civil Defence said it was his lamp which was faulty. He had insurance for his contents (barely enough) but had not requested Tenants Liability cover so AXA refused to pay for the structural damage. Nakheel wouldn't let him back into the apartment until he had paid for everything and they didn't offer him alternative housing while his place was being repaired.

Purdey Jul 21st 2009 7:43 am

Spugsy, interested in your Disco Gardens adventure! I'm also looking for a "cheaper" option this side of town - can you advise a contact number to set up a viewing appointment?
Thanks.

Spugsy Jul 21st 2009 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by Sessou (Post 7769898)
Spugsy, interested in your Disco Gardens adventure! I'm also looking for a "cheaper" option this side of town - can you advise a contact number to set up a viewing appointment?
Thanks.

speak to Neal at colliers 040 335 8676 or mob: 050 811 4805

grapefruit Jul 21st 2009 9:46 pm

found this great place at Discovery Gardens, 1 bed place, 100k sq ft,

You meant 1k sq ft (or 1000 sq ft)? Still good for 1 brm but will be disappointing if you really were expecting 100,000 sq ft ;).

No undercover carparks, no water in the swimming pools. Or have they sorted that out now?

Spugsy Jul 22nd 2009 4:07 am

Originally Posted by grapefruit (Post 7772180)
You meant 1k sq ft (or 1000 sq ft)? Still good for 1 brm but will be disappointing if you really were expecting 100,000 sq ft ;).

No undercover carparks, no water in the swimming pools. Or have they sorted that out now?

pools almost finished, we shall see though.