Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Ding Dong the witch is dead

Ding Dong the witch is dead

Old Apr 13th 2013, 5:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Ding Dong the witch is dead

In true British tradition, this song is expected to reach number 3 in the UK charts this Sunday due to downloads.

I think the BBC have made the right decision.
Old Apr 13th 2013, 7:21 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ding Dong the witch is dead

Originally Posted by Millhouse
In true British tradition, this song is expected to reach number 3 in the UK charts this Sunday due to downloads.

By not playing it? It has nothing to do with her, doesn't mention her, is maybe in bad taste but I think it's not right that they aren't playing it.
Old Apr 13th 2013, 7:52 am
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Why do you think this?
Old Apr 13th 2013, 8:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Autonomy
Why do you think this?
cos it's a shit song
Old Apr 13th 2013, 9:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Sandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond repute

First song I've ever legally downloaded
Old Apr 13th 2013, 9:13 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spugsy
By not playing it? It has nothing to do with her, doesn't mention her, is maybe in bad taste but I think it's not right that they aren't playing it.
They aren't playing it in full, but will play part of the track in a sort of news presentation at the required part of the show.
Old Apr 13th 2013, 9:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Sandboy
First song I've ever legally downloaded
Old Apr 13th 2013, 9:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Sandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
They aren't playing it in full, but will play part of the track in a sort of news presentation at the required part of the show.
4 seconds, pathetic

When the general public make a tiny protest by buying a 30 second song the BBC censor it and the papers explode with moral outrage

When the chancellor of the exchequer makes an outrageous link between benefits and the murder of six children they put it on the front page

something wrong
Old Apr 13th 2013, 10:49 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

I hadn't realised that the charts had turned into some sort of biased political lesson. Will the BBC be doing this with every other song with a political reference, or perhaps explaining what the latest Justin Beiber wail really means? I assume they think the British public are such morons that they cannot work anything out for themselves and make their own minds up?

Old Apr 13th 2013, 10:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
I hadn't realised that the charts had turned into some sort of biased political lesson. Will the BBC be doing this with every other song with a political reference, or perhaps explaining what the latest Justin Beiber wail really means? I assume they think the British public are such morons that they cannot work anything out for themselves and make their own minds up?

It makes you wonder what the BBC would make of a re-release of that Specials classic 'Ghost Town'....
Old Apr 13th 2013, 11:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I hadn't realised that the charts had turned into some sort of biased political lesson.
That's the point. It isn't. They are stuck between a rock and a hard place - the song isn't political, it's effectively an attack on a person. If the BBC play it they get slammed, if they don't they will get slammed. So, the four/five seconds seems a good way out (which was my first point about them making a good decision).

The BBC was hardly ever pro-thatcher or pro-right.

Last edited by Millhouse; Apr 13th 2013 at 11:06 am.
Old Apr 13th 2013, 11:07 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OleJanx
It makes you wonder what the BBC would make of a re-release of that Specials classic 'Ghost Town'....
Exactly. There are loads of others too

UB40 - 1 in 10
Tom Robinson - Glad to be gay
The Special AKA - Free Nelson Mandela
US - Sunday Bloody Sunday
OMD - Enola Gay
Elvis Costello - Shipbuilding

That's just off the top of my head, but there must be hundreds.
Old Apr 13th 2013, 11:45 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

UB40 - 1 in 10
OMD - Enola Gay

6 months ago the BBC would have just playd the song, no problems, it's just that it has been downloaded so that it charted as a specific anti-Thatcher comment, in 6 months if it charts again then there will be no problems, also the funeral is still to be held, and, although I'm certainly not a Thatcher supporter in any way, I have to agree with the way the BBC is handling a very delicate situation.
Old Apr 13th 2013, 11:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

UB40 - 1 in 10
OMD - Enola Gay

Indeed! 'Belfast Child' by Simple Minds would no doubt cause some head scratching.
Old Apr 13th 2013, 11:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Beakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to behold

We have Rights to Freedom of Speech or Expression with limits. Does this track breach that limit legally? To play 4-5 seconds of it is more than playing none of it, so it kind of suggests it's not illegal to play it in England. Legal, or moral this decision?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.