British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Did anyone else feel an earth tremor a few minutes ago? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/did-anyone-else-feel-earth-tremor-few-minutes-ago-793442/)

Bahtatboy Apr 9th 2013 5:35 pm

Re: Did anyone else feel an earth tremor a few minutes ago?
 
And for all those who evacuated / were evacuated, where did you gather? Far more dangerous to be outside and near a building (especially a tall one with lots of windows) than inside one when a quake hits. It takes a pretty large earthquake to bring a building down (especially a modern one), but not a very big one to break windows...

TheShed Apr 9th 2013 5:42 pm

Re: Did anyone else feel an earth tremor a few minutes ago?
 
I have no prior knowledge of these things BT I got evacuated from the 7th floor of a client building in Doha and wondered about the logic of keeping us close to the building. (Apart from ensuring that we were shaded and did not get too hot!! I kid you not. )

gottheTshirt Apr 9th 2013 5:52 pm

Re: Did anyone else feel an earth tremor a few minutes ago?
 

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 10649437)
And for all those who evacuated / were evacuated, where did you gather? Far more dangerous to be outside and near a building (especially a tall one with lots of windows) than inside one when a quake hits. It takes a pretty large earthquake to bring a building down (especially a modern one), but not a very big one to break windows...

I went home to my 20th floor apartment and had a beer. If i am going to wobble i need a reason.

Millhouse Apr 9th 2013 6:37 pm

Re: Did anyone else feel an earth tremor a few minutes ago?
 

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 10649437)
And for all those who evacuated / were evacuated, where did you gather? Far more dangerous to be outside and near a building (especially a tall one with lots of windows) than inside one when a quake hits. It takes a pretty large earthquake to bring a building down (especially a modern one), but not a very big one to break windows...

I'm not sure that this perfectly logical argument stands in Dubai

hnd Apr 9th 2013 10:31 pm

Re: Did anyone else feel an earth tremor a few minutes ago?
 
Lived at AR until June last year and never, ever felt even the slightest tremor - unless we were were leaving our neighbour's home after a weekend party or a non-weekend, let's just have a fun evening type thing. DT's are very different - having visitors here in Muscat at the moment a couple of us have tremors in the morning!

OleJanx Apr 9th 2013 10:41 pm

Re: Did anyone else feel an earth tremor a few minutes ago?
 

Originally Posted by hnd (Post 10650069)
Lived at AR until June last year and never, ever felt even the slightest tremor - unless we were were leaving our neighbour's home after a weekend party or a non-weekend, let's just have a fun evening type thing. DT's are very different - having visitors here in Muscat at the moment a couple of us have tremors in the morning!

AR?

hnd Apr 9th 2013 11:03 pm

Re: Did anyone else feel an earth tremor a few minutes ago?
 
Oh, come on ... Arabian Ranches.

It's as commonly referred to as AR (on various forums) as is, say, DSO, DIFC, JVT, JBR etc.

Norm_uk Apr 10th 2013 9:04 am

Re: Did anyone else feel an earth tremor a few minutes ago?
 

Originally Posted by gottheTshirt (Post 10649492)
I went home to my 20th floor apartment and had a beer. If i am going to wobble i need a reason.

Better to have several reasons :)

N.

co durham boy Apr 10th 2013 10:37 am

Re: Did anyone else feel an earth tremor a few minutes ago?
 
1 Attachment(s)
Sums it up quite well

jam25mack Apr 10th 2013 11:25 am

Re: Did anyone else feel an earth tremor a few minutes ago?
 

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 10649609)
I'm not sure that this perfectly logical argument stands in Dubai

Buildings in Dubai (as per DM) are generally designed to a seismic zone 2A, which is far more conservative than the seismic conditions encountered in Dubai (probably Zone 1 at best), so there is nothing to worry about I would say.

Tall building especially are some of the safest to be in when a quake hits as the wavelengths generated by a quake a far different to that of a tall building. They are, however, much more similar to that of a 3 story building.... where unfortunately seismic conditions are often overlooked in the design. These are the buildings that are seen to pancake.

As such, tall building = good & 3 story buildings = bad.

I recently wrote a report on the seismic conditions of the region for a major tunnelling project....... i'm still half asleep now!

mentalist Apr 10th 2013 11:30 am

Re: Did anyone else feel an earth tremor a few minutes ago?
 
Had to smile when a female radio presenter revealed what an Emirati girlfriend of hers told her at a dinner party last night. Whilst watching hundreds of Indians and Filipinos fleeing her 34 storey office block in panic when the earth tremor struck, she said that she would not be leaving her office until the Europeans started leaving. Needless to say, that never happened.:)

Dumbo Apr 10th 2013 1:08 pm

Re: Did anyone else feel an earth tremor a few minutes ago?
 

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10648964)
Company building in Tecom evacuated, but didn't feel a thing in Umm Sequim.

I'm not used to the earth moving anyway. I'm married.

Ever considered having an affair?

Scamp Apr 10th 2013 2:54 pm

Re: Did anyone else feel an earth tremor a few minutes ago?
 

Originally Posted by britexpat76 (Post 10648881)
Scamp got wind?

I'm in Greece!

Bahtatboy Apr 10th 2013 5:21 pm

Re: Did anyone else feel an earth tremor a few minutes ago?
 

Originally Posted by mentalist (Post 10651036)
Had to smile when a female radio presenter revealed what an Emirati girlfriend of hers told her at a dinner party last night. Whilst watching hundreds of Indians and Filipinos fleeing her 34 storey office block in panic when the earth tremor struck, she said that she would not be leaving her office until the Europeans started leaving. Needless to say, that never happened.:)

No Italians, then?

britexpat76 Apr 10th 2013 5:39 pm

Re: Did anyone else feel an earth tremor a few minutes ago?
 

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 10651720)
No Italians, then?

Closely followed by the french


All times are GMT. The time now is 4:46 am.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.