British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Define Dubai (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/define-dubai-772836/)

The_Citizen Sep 27th 2012 9:55 am

Re: Define Dubai

Is it really that rare that people use day to day manners when speaking to the locals etc?

I really can't imagine people not holding a door open for someone or just saying thank you!

Meow Sep 27th 2012 10:11 am

Originally Posted by Manchester_QS (Post 10302573)
Is it really that rare that people use day to day manners when speaking to the locals etc?

I really can't imagine people not holding a door open for someone or just saying thank you!

"locals etc" - a big difference between the two...

The lack of manners shown by many people here is breathtaking. Some is cultural, but mostly arrogance or ignorance.

The_Citizen Sep 27th 2012 10:13 am

Is there a problem of some people think they are better than them and don't need to even acknowledge that they exist!

Meow Sep 27th 2012 10:14 am

Originally Posted by Manchester_QS (Post 10302602)
Is there a problem of some people think they are better than them and don't need to even acknowledge that they exist!

Massive problem.

Out of curiousity, which 'they' are you referring to?

The_Citizen Sep 27th 2012 10:19 am

the people that don't acknowledge anybody else :) whomever that may be!

Bahtatboy Sep 27th 2012 11:04 am

Originally Posted by Autonomy (Post 10301441)
Been thinking about it for while and I hate to say it, but it's unavoidable.

Money is what defines Dubai.

At every level, more than other cities.

A city that will forever be trying to find its own identity and on the whole failing to do so.

And yes, I am currently in a decent situation and still like it here, so...

Can't add much to that. +1

Meow Sep 27th 2012 3:12 pm

Judging by today's posts on here the main arseholes are in Doha...

scrubbedexpat141 Sep 28th 2012 6:11 am

Dubai is defined by who you are.

To me its opportunity; to save money.

To my Mrs; it's a fun place with sunshine.

To an the Filipinos that work with my mrs or me or you; it's money for family back home, it's school fees for your younger brothers etc.

Depends on where you look at this place from. I like it here, it's got plenty of plus points to balance out the shit stuff.

kittycat1 Sep 28th 2012 6:24 am

'New Money', sums it up for me, no class, no style, brash and excessive. And a city of contradictions.

scrubbedexpat141 Sep 28th 2012 6:28 am

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 10304081)
'New Money', sums it up for me, no class, no style, brash and excessive. And a city of contradictions.

New Money shouts
Old Money whispers

soukie Sep 28th 2012 6:38 am

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 10304081)

:thumbup: Fur coat no knickers sums it up!

Fossildog Sep 28th 2012 6:49 am

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned (Post 10301303)
I have been here for almost 10 years, I train about 60 people a week from all nationalities .... men and women including Emirati, Lebanese, Palestinian, American, British, Indian blah,blah and all of them are living normal lives working, playing, bringing up families etc. None of them are w**kers, none of them are rude or arrogant, they all seem to be very genuine and caring people.
I live in a local area, I have friends of different nationalities, my life here is not that much different from the other countries that I have lived in,(except the brunches are better :D).
Dubai is better than some cities, worse than others.
I really get fed up with people who think that the UAE is full of false people.
There are false people everywhere. I love living in Dubai, I love my job and I love and respect the culturally differences of the people that I meet.

So you really are Patsy Stone from Ab Fab and live a life full of parties, brunches and free flowing champagne?

Well I never.

kittycat1 Sep 28th 2012 7:01 am

[QUOTE]I have been here for almost 10 years, I train about 60 people a week from all nationalities .... men and women including Emirati, Lebanese, Palestinian, American, British, Indian blah,blah and all of them are living normal lives working, playing, bringing up families etc. None of them are w**kers, none of them are rude or arrogant, they all seem to be very genuine and caring people.
/QUOTE]

Patsy, you would have to be a complete idiot to be a wanker to your personal trainer!

OleJanx Sep 28th 2012 7:19 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10304088)
New Money shouts
Old Money whispers

New money rarely sticks around for it to become Old money...

soukie Sep 28th 2012 8:15 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10304088)
New Money shouts
Old Money whispers

Love it and so true.