British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Define Dubai (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/define-dubai-772836/)

shiva Sep 26th 2012 12:07 pm

Define Dubai

OK folks I have a project coming up where this random question could help enormously.

What is it that defines Dubai for you?

things like the two Burj's, the creek, malls etc but what for you defines Dubai, what is it that would instantly bring Dubai to your mind. Brunches? Khandooras, Blacked out Patrols?

I ask because I know what defines dubai for me and the life I live in the city but i have no idea what for example defines dubai for a 20 something single or an older married couple close to retirement.

weasel decentral Sep 26th 2012 12:19 pm

Re: Define Dubai

Chock-a-block with wankers. :thumbup:

mwaaaaaaaahahaaaaaa

shiva Sep 26th 2012 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by weasel decentral (Post 10300797)
Chock-a-block with wankers. :thumbup:

mwaaaaaaaahahaaaaaa

that i'll grant you but then in my experience most cities suffer from that these days

weasel decentral Sep 26th 2012 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 10300801)
that i'll grant you but then in my experience most cities suffer from that these days

Serious answer would be seeing a seriously over the top, blinged out supercar or ridiculous 4x4.

britexpat76 Sep 26th 2012 1:03 pm

False City, False People made with dog turd and gold plated.

Kix Sep 26th 2012 1:04 pm

Disneyland for adults is oft quoted, a film set where nothing is as it seems? A cultural centre for islamic art and theology?

OK, was joking about the last bit...

OleJanx Sep 26th 2012 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by britexpat76 (Post 10300865)

You forgot to add false hopes.

Kix Sep 26th 2012 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by OleJanx (Post 10300867)

And mountains of toxic debt!

Anyone got anything good to say?

OK then

Jockeys Bar, the best bar in the world. Ever.

Britmal Sep 26th 2012 1:23 pm

It's just a place to earn money.

Take your two buckets and try your best to fill the cash one, then get out of the place.

shiva Sep 26th 2012 1:30 pm

yes yes and also full of unhelpful wankers i was more driving at things like the blinged cars

shiva Sep 26th 2012 1:31 pm

why are you in doha then

Meow Sep 26th 2012 1:32 pm

How to win friends...

britexpat76 Sep 26th 2012 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 10300914)
why are you in doha then

The dog turd isn't gold plated here.

co durham boy Sep 26th 2012 1:34 pm

Excess

britexpat76 Sep 26th 2012 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10300916)
How to win friends...

Don't assume I am talking about all ex pats. 'Locals' and the Crowd that used to holiday in Benidorm that now call it home.

Edit,
The ones that I see buying stupidly large bottles of Vodka on their credit card whilst trying to woo over the Emirates trolley Dollys.

The ones that spend more that 60% of their income on a car

The ones that borrow up to their tits to pay for their accommodation instead of something smaller to keep up with the Jones's

The_Citizen Sep 26th 2012 1:43 pm

I would have thought that anybody who moves to Dubai is going for one reason only, and that is to make money.

Yes you can have a big car and a nice villa but I would have thought it was more about living a good but not extravagant live and saving money to come back to the UK (or somewhere else) for a better quality of life!

Meow Sep 26th 2012 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by britexpat76 (Post 10300921)
Don't assume I am talking about all ex pats. 'Locals' and the Crowd that used to holiday in Benidorm that now call it home.

You find chavy types pretty much everywhere, but I also loathe those who think Dubai is just about tall towers, overpriced bars and think they have 'made it' because they went to the Cavalli Club once.

Right now, Dubai is defined by idiocy and lazy bastards, but it's been a rough couple of weeks. Otherwise, Pinoys walking with umbrellas in August; 'gardeners' in pyjamas riding bicycles on the wrong side of the road pulling lawnmowers; Lebos with slicked back hair, overly tight trousers, too much aftershave and wearing sunglasses at night; "yes mam/sir"; fancy cars without indicators and people with a cavalier attitude to meeting times.

britexpat76 Sep 26th 2012 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by Manchester_QS (Post 10300934)
I would have thought that anybody who moves to Dubai is going for one reason only, and that is to make money.

Yes you can have a big car and a nice villa but I would have thought it was more about living a good but not extravagant live and saving money to come back to the UK (or somewhere else) for a better quality of life!

Is the correct answer.

The sunshine bakes certain peoples brains though and they completely forget why they are there/here.

Kix Sep 26th 2012 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10300938)
You find chavy types pretty much everywhere, but I also loathe those who think Dubai is just about tall towers, overpriced bars and think they have 'made it' because they went to the Cavalli Club once.

Right now, Dubai is defined by idiocy and lazy bastards, but it's been a rough couple of weeks. Otherwise, Pinoys walking with umbrellas in August; 'gardeners' in pyjamas riding bicycles on the wrong side of the road pulling lawnmowers; Lebos with slicked back hair, overly tight trousers, too much aftershave and wearing sunglasses at night; "yes mam/sir"; fancy cars without indicators and people with a cavalier attitude to meeting times.

That's been royally pissing you off for a few days hasn't it Meow :nod:

britexpat76 Sep 26th 2012 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10300938)

Dubai and its very nature attracts a far higher number of those sorts though. Having lived there, AD and Doha I find Doha just edges AD on a lower number of Pricks per 100.

co durham boy Sep 26th 2012 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by Manchester_QS (Post 10300934)

Exactly , i wouldn't have stepped foot in the Middle East if it wasn't for work .

The_Citizen Sep 26th 2012 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by britexpat76 (Post 10300942)
Is the correct answer.

The sunshine bakes certain peoples brains though and they completely forget why they are there/here.

I will be in Dubai from next week. And I am there to save money! I will obviously want to have a good time and see sights etc but I suppose everyone has a different outlook on life and how they want to live!

Millhouse Sep 26th 2012 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by OleJanx (Post 10300867)

... and fake tits

The_Citizen Sep 26th 2012 1:52 pm

Don't get me wrong I can't wait to move to Dubai. I'm a 24 year old man, of course I can't wait to be move to Dubai. But if it wasn't for the work and the tax free allowance I wouldn't be anywhere near the desert!

britexpat76 Sep 26th 2012 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 10300963)
... and fake tits

That's a negative?

The_Citizen Sep 26th 2012 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by britexpat76 (Post 10300969)
That's a negative?

I would defiantly say its a positive :)

littlejimmy Sep 26th 2012 1:57 pm

One word: Insha'allah.

Meow Sep 26th 2012 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by Manchester_QS (Post 10300967)
Don't get me wrong I can't wait to move to Dubai. I'm a 24 year old man, of course I can't wait to be move to Dubai. But if it wasn't for the work and the tax free allowance I wouldn't be anywhere near the desert!

Have you been here before? Life here is simply what you make of it and many of us live what you would consider a relatively normal life.

The_Citizen Sep 26th 2012 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10300985)
Have you been here before? Life here is simply what you make of it and many of us live what you would consider a relatively normal life.

No, it will be my first visit to the ME, which some people have found it shocking that I have never visited. But what is life without an adventure!

I do think that to many people move to the ME and just expect it to be the UK with sunshine and tax free allowance.

I do plan on living a relatively normal life, but the main reason for the move is due to the step up in my career that the job was able to offer.

britexpat76 Sep 26th 2012 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by Kix (Post 10300882)
And mountains of toxic debt!

Anyone got anything good to say?

OK then

Jockeys Bar, the best bar in the world. Ever.

When I went out to Dubai in 08 I asked my mate to put me in a hotel for a month while I searched for a job and he put me in the Pano.

I arrived thinking I wouldn't have Strongbow or women in my life for a while, 6 hours later...............

Meow Sep 26th 2012 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by Manchester_QS (Post 10300990)
No, it will be my first visit to the ME, which some people have found it shocking that I have never visited. But what is life without an adventure!

I do think that to many people move to the ME and just expect it to be the UK with sunshine and tax free allowance.

I do plan on living a relatively normal life, but the main reason for the move is due to the step up in my career that the job was able to offer.

The UK with sunshine etc - that's The Springs for you!

You can have fun and a good life without being a w****r ;)

The_Citizen Sep 26th 2012 2:09 pm

I will be living in Tecom and commuting to Abu Dhabi 3-4 days a week.

Kix Sep 26th 2012 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by britexpat76 (Post 10300992)
When I went out to Dubai in 08 I asked my mate to put me in a hotel for a month while I searched for a job and he put me in the Pano.

I arrived thinking I wouldn't have Strongbow or women in my life for a while, 6 hours later...............

PMSL, been there, done that!

commander Sep 26th 2012 3:30 pm

Really poor people who are genuinely touched when you do something 'normal' towards them, like say please and thank you, or open a door for them.

Somethings most locals and Jumeriah Jane's no nothing about.

auzdafluff Sep 26th 2012 3:57 pm

On the way back from a business trip to the UK in 2011 (about 10 months into my time here), I was in the airport duty free at Manchester buying some Raybans. When the girl went to check my boarding pass, she said oooh, you're going to Dubai! Is it for a holiday?

When I said no, I live there, she asked if I could only describe Dubai in one word, what would it be?

You could tell from her reactions she wasn't expecting me to say 'racist' but I stand by that assertion to this day.

Patsy Stoned Sep 26th 2012 4:27 pm

I have been here for almost 10 years, I train about 60 people a week from all nationalities .... men and women including Emirati, Lebanese, Palestinian, American, British, Indian blah,blah and all of them are living normal lives working, playing, bringing up families etc. None of them are w**kers, none of them are rude or arrogant, they all seem to be very genuine and caring people.
I live in a local area, I have friends of different nationalities, my life here is not that much different from the other countries that I have lived in,(except the brunches are better :D).
Dubai is better than some cities, worse than others.
I really get fed up with people who think that the UAE is full of false people.
There are false people everywhere. I love living in Dubai, I love my job and I love and respect the culturally differences of the people that I meet.

shiva Sep 26th 2012 4:35 pm

Thx meow. In terms of visual images the August umbrella and suicidal gardners are ones that will stick with me for life I think, along now I come to think of it with people hiding in the shadow of lamp posts. Regarding defending Dubai the longer I'm here the more I realise that the wankers are actually the smallest part of the population and that most just lead normal lives. I think that's what gets me is that the Dubai ill remember is completely different from the one that gets talked about.

The Dean Sep 26th 2012 4:35 pm

If I say that I hate Dubai with a passion, but I still enjoy living here, does that make sense? :unsure:

shiva Sep 26th 2012 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 10301323)
If I say that I hate Dubai with a passion, but I still enjoy living here, does that make sense? :unsure:

Completely

Jammy_Dodgers Sep 26th 2012 5:08 pm

Having spent the last 2 years in Singapore I can see a distinct similarity with dubai.

In both places it would seem the worst kind of people are the Middle/Senior management that arrive on a transfer or secondment...they treat the posting as a holiday.

Like most people that go on holiday, these people push the limits of drinking, partying and generally being w*****rs.

I have seen many decent people poisoned by the Dubai lifestyle.For example, because they get their pictures in Ahlan or Hello they suddenly think they are the next best thing, and because they can afford a nice car and champagne brunches...that they are suddenly a class above the rest.

So how would I define Dubai ? I would say "Morally Toxic" ... on sooo many levels

Dont get me wrong, I love the place...cant wait to come back!