Deerfields Abu Dhabi

Old Jan 31st 2010, 1:16 pm
  #1  
Powered by cows
Thread Starter
 
Autonomy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: currently Dubai, ex UK
Posts: 4,581
Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Deerfields Abu Dhabi

Any one heard of this development? What is the location like?

It's near to Hydra Village if that helps?

I'm not too clued up on Abu Dhabi - is this a good location for a shopping center?

http://www.deerfieldstownsquare.com/eng/Default.aspx

Thanks!
Autonomy is offline  
Old Jan 31st 2010, 1:23 pm
  #2  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
shakh your bootie's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: By the old canal...
Posts: 7,715
shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Deerfields Abu Dhabi

Originally Posted by Autonomy View Post
Any one heard of this development? What is the location like?

It's near to Hydra Village if that helps?

I'm not too clued up on Abu Dhabi - is this a good location for a shopping center?

http://www.deerfieldstownsquare.com/eng/Default.aspx

Thanks!
Their website shows the location as being close to the Airport after Al-Raha beach - no doubt it is part of the plans to extend the off-island conurbation zone to a continuous stretch.

Weescott is probably your best bet to ask about whether this is a savvy strategic decision.

What is puzzzling me is why the newly-AD-owned Arabtec has been awarded a $100M+ contract to build a new development on SZR in Dubai by another AD owned company. What on earth are they thinking????
shakh your bootie is offline  
Old Jan 31st 2010, 1:57 pm
  #3  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 5,125
busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Deerfields Abu Dhabi

Originally Posted by Autonomy View Post
Any one heard of this development? What is the location like?

It's near to Hydra Village if that helps?

I'm not too clued up on Abu Dhabi - is this a good location for a shopping center?

http://www.deerfieldstownsquare.com/eng/Default.aspx

Thanks!
if you drive up channel st up opp shahama thats where the big signs are. so on the way out to dubai, past raha beach/saadiyat bridge turnoff and then you come across al bahia and al shahama its there i believe. but nothing but the sign.
busybee2 is offline  
Old Jan 31st 2010, 3:54 pm
  #4  
BE Forum Addict
 
flares's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 2,968
flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Deerfields Abu Dhabi

I for one think the fields should be left undeveloped for the deers to live in their natural habitat...what?
flares is offline  
Old Jan 31st 2010, 4:44 pm
  #5  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 5,125
busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Deerfields Abu Dhabi

Originally Posted by saudiflares View Post
I for one think the fields should be left undeveloped for the deers to live in their natural habitat...what?
well the kids park is across the other side of the road...
busybee2 is offline  
Old Jan 31st 2010, 5:02 pm
  #6  
Powered by cows
Thread Starter
 
Autonomy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: currently Dubai, ex UK
Posts: 4,581
Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Deerfields Abu Dhabi

Originally Posted by busybee2 View Post
if you drive up channel st up opp shahama thats where the big signs are. so on the way out to dubai, past raha beach/saadiyat bridge turnoff and then you come across al bahia and al shahama its there i believe. but nothing but the sign.
ok - remember I have been in AD for all of 1 day since being here - what with all the developments - do you consider this as a commercially sound place for a mall?

Actual development progress to date is not an issue, just more interested in the location.

Thanks!
Autonomy is offline  
Old Jan 31st 2010, 6:59 pm
  #7  
Millhouse is not a meme
 
Millhouse's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Disneyland, Dubai
Posts: 14,624
Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Deerfields Abu Dhabi

Originally Posted by Autonomy View Post
ok - remember I have been in AD for all of 1 day since being here - what with all the developments - do you consider this as a commercially sound place for a mall?

Actual development progress to date is not an issue, just more interested in the location.

Thanks!
over what time horizon?
1 year - no
2 years - no
3 years - no
4 years - no
5+ years - maybe
20+ years - yes
90+ years - no oil. get out.

It's an area where they put the identikit local (council) housing estates. Probably money out that way all the time the oil flows. I doubt you will find many rich expats that way for a while though.
Millhouse is offline  
Old Feb 1st 2010, 8:56 am
  #8  
BE Enthusiast
 
weescot's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: The city of many visions - and fast performance cars
Posts: 887
weescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Deerfields Abu Dhabi

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie View Post
Their website shows the location as being close to the Airport after Al-Raha beach - no doubt it is part of the plans to extend the off-island conurbation zone to a continuous stretch.

Weescott is probably your best bet to ask about whether this is a savvy strategic decision.

What is puzzzling me is why the newly-AD-owned Arabtec has been awarded a $100M+ contract to build a new development on SZR in Dubai by another AD owned company. What on earth are they thinking????
Och, I am flattered..... so here is my 2 fils worth...

I think this development is probably going up to replace the inevitable and eventual demolition of those 3-4 storey ramshakle "shoppies" and sub-standard accomodation/apartments at Shahmha. These are a real eyesore, if you look at the emerging landscape in Abu Dhabi and all the iconic buildings that are part of that. The Urban development Council will have a better idea though... it may well be on their revised plan 2030.

However, Shahama is an estabished community (not rich expats... ) so I think this community will just re-locate somewhere else, with the land left re-developed for other commercial purposes. It is in a good position between two highways and the economic diversification in Abu Dhabi is not going to slow down any time soon..... so maybe Deerfields across the road will be supporting this and the surrounding area. At present there is very little out that way that provides decent housing, shopping and entertaininment - although that will in some way be mitigated by Al Reef and the Yas Mall (biggest in AD .. MOE+ size) that is planned.
weescot is offline  
Old Feb 1st 2010, 9:12 am
  #9  
Powered by cows
Thread Starter
 
Autonomy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: currently Dubai, ex UK
Posts: 4,581
Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Deerfields Abu Dhabi

Originally Posted by weescot View Post
Och, I am flattered..... so here is my 2 fils worth...

I think this development is probably going up to replace the inevitable and eventual demolition of those 3-4 storey ramshakle "shoppies" and sub-standard accomodation/apartments at Shahmha. These are a real eyesore, if you look at the emerging landscape in Abu Dhabi and all the iconic buildings that are part of that. The Urban development Council will have a better idea though... it may well be on their revised plan 2030.

However, Shahama is an estabished community (not rich expats... ) so I think this community will just re-locate somewhere else, with the land left re-developed for other commercial purposes. It is in a good position between two highways and the economic diversification in Abu Dhabi is not going to slow down any time soon..... so maybe Deerfields across the road will be supporting this and the surrounding area. At present there is very little out that way that provides decent housing, shopping and entertaininment - although that will in some way be mitigated by Al Reef and the Yas Mall (biggest in AD .. MOE+ size) that is planned.
Brilliant - thank you!

You wouldn't know the developers of Yas Mall would you?

You're a star!
Autonomy is offline  
Old Feb 1st 2010, 9:31 am
  #10  
BE Enthusiast
 
weescot's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: The city of many visions - and fast performance cars
Posts: 887
weescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Deerfields Abu Dhabi

[QUOTE=Autonomy;8300424]Brilliant - thank you!

You wouldn't know the developers of Yas Mall would you?

QUOTE]
Err, I suppose I should know ... Aldar I think (should have paid more attention at the preso....) It is a while off I seem to recall. If you drive past it I am sure it will be on the building site singage somewhere... the yas mall road signs are already up...
weescot is offline  
Old Feb 1st 2010, 9:49 am
  #11  
BE Forum Addict
 
benzonar's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Utopia
Posts: 1,631
benzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Deerfields Abu Dhabi

Deerfields, if I remember rightly it has something to do with Dr Fahim (not a real Dr btw). Was supposedly tied up with the strategy of Hydra and the fact that they owned a lot of the spare land around Shahama (a portion of which was sold to Manazel for Al Reef). Seeing as the Hydra developments don't appear to be going anywhere and the investors are up in arms I can't see Deerfields happening anytime soon.

Yas Mall is a Aldar development and is ticking along, the first part of it to be ready will be the largest Ikea store in the ME. Completion of the main Mall is slated to be some time in 2012.
benzonar is offline  
Old Feb 1st 2010, 11:49 am
  #12  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 5,125
busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Deerfields Abu Dhabi

Originally Posted by Autonomy View Post
ok - remember I have been in AD for all of 1 day since being here - what with all the developments - do you consider this as a commercially sound place for a mall?

Actual development progress to date is not an issue, just more interested in the location.

Thanks!
it depends on what they put in it.... up in the areas of al shahama, local housing areas around etc, there are no shops. perhaps they are thinking of raha beach, hyrda (when its finished) and al reef (when its finished) will be its expat clients etc.
busybee2 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.