Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Death of one of my musical heroes...

Death of one of my musical heroes...

Old Apr 18th 2008, 4:31 pm
Hammer for Life

BangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Death of one of my musical heroes...

As a life long Bruce Springsteen fan, I feel very sad today, due to the untimely death of one of the E Street Band's founder members.....

Danny Federici

Keybordist, accordion player, founding member of the E Street Band, and friend of Bruce Springsteen passed away last night after a three-year battle with melanoma cancer. He was 58 years of age.

In an official statement Bruce states: "Danny and I worked together for 40 years - he was the most wonderfully fluid keyboard player and a pure natural musician. I loved him very much...we grew up together."

Federici was born in Flemington, N.J., a long car ride from the Jersey shore haunts where he first met kindred musical spirit Springsteen in the late 1960s. The pair often jammed at the Upstage Club in Asbury Park, N.J., a now-defunct after-hours club that hosted the best musicians in the state.

It was Federici, along with original E Street Band drummer Vini Lopez, who first invited Springsteen to join their band.

By 1969, the self-effacing Federici - often introduced in concert by Springsteen as "Phantom Dan" - was playing with the Boss in a band called Child. Over the years, Federici joined his friend in acclaimed shore bands Steel Mill, Dr. Zoom and the Sonic Boom and the Bruce Springsteen Band.

Federici became a stalwart in the E Street Band as Springsteen rocketed from the boardwalk to international stardom. Springsteen split from the E Streeters in the late '80s, but they reunited for a hugely successful tour in 1999.

"Bruce has been supportive throughout my life," Federici said in a recent interview with Backstreets magazine. "I've had my ups and downs, and I've certainly given him a run for his money, and he's always been there for me."

Federici played accordion on the wistful "4th Of July, Asbury Park (Sandy)" from Springsteen's second album, and his organ solo was a highlight of Springsteen's first top 10 hit, "Hungry Heart." His organ coda on the 9/11-inspired Springsteen song "You're Missing" provided one of the more heart-wrenching moments on "The Rising" in 2002.

In a band with larger-than-life characters such as saxophonist Clarence Clemons and bandana-wrapped guitarist "Little" Steven Van Zandt, Federici was content to play in his familiar position to the side of the stage. But his playing was as vital to Springsteen's live show as any instrument in the band.

Federici had taken a leave of absence during the band's tour in November 2007 to pursue treatment for melanoma, and was temporarily replaced by veteran musician Charles Giordano.

At the time, Springsteen described Federici as "one of the pillars of our sound and has played beside me as a great friend for more than 40 years. We all eagerly await his healthy and speedy return."

The death of Danny Federici is not only a terrible loss to his family, friends and colleagues. He will also be sorely missed by millions of E Street Band fans all of the world, his sound and stage presence were integral parts of the band and it will never be the same without him

+++
Old Apr 18th 2008, 5:14 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Death of one of my musical heroes...

I am so not going to read all that...
Old Apr 18th 2008, 5:15 pm
Hammer for Life

BangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MataHari
I am so not going to read all that...
Bet you would if it was about Karen Carpenter !!!!!!!
Old Apr 18th 2008, 5:18 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BangleMan
Bet you would if it was about Karen Carpenter !!!!!!!
Old Apr 18th 2008, 5:20 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1D8CkVeDB4

What a shame-still a great excuse to look at da Boss,man he is still hot!
Not the dead guy obviously.
Old Apr 18th 2008, 5:21 pm
Hammer for Life

lol.....You'll be telling me you like Robin Gibb or Neil Diamond next !!!..
Old Apr 18th 2008, 5:21 pm
Hammer for Life

Originally Posted by Eva
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1D8CkVeDB4

What a shame-still a great excuse to look at da Boss,man he is still hot!
Not the dead guy obviously.
I can honestly say he does nothing for me sexually, but have had sex many times with him singing in the background....lol
Old Apr 18th 2008, 5:24 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

I can honestly say he does nothing for me sexually, but have had sex many times with him singing in the background....lol

Eh, that's nice-Happy for you.
Old Apr 18th 2008, 5:24 pm
hmmmm...nice

lol.....You'll be telling me you like Robin Gibb or Neil Diamond next !!!..
as if they are in the same league...
Old Apr 18th 2008, 5:25 pm
hmmmm...nice

Originally Posted by Eva
Eh, that's nice-Happy for you.
I thought it bordered a bit on the gross side...
Old Apr 18th 2008, 5:26 pm
Hammer for Life

Oh pleeeaaazzzee.....
Old Apr 18th 2008, 5:28 pm
hmmmm...nice

Oh pleeeaaazzzee.....
what do you want...
Old Apr 18th 2008, 5:30 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hahaahahahahaa-each to their own I suppose.
Once I heard Lou Reed.
Old Apr 18th 2008, 5:30 pm
Hammer for Life

what do you want...
Less of the Saint MH....and more of the nasty bone !
Old Apr 18th 2008, 5:31 pm
Hammer for Life

Originally Posted by Eva
Hahaahahahahaa-each to their own I suppose.
Once I heard Lou Reed.
Heard him do what ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.