Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Dangers of too much internet / screen exposure

Dangers of too much internet / screen exposure

Old Sep 30th 2018, 8:26 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dangers of too much internet / screen exposure

Anyone have thoughts about the long term implications of too much time spent online, on our mobiles or glued to the laptop screens?

A pretty good article below. I sent it to my sister who's also concerned about how to manage her kids' exposure as they age.
https://www.spectator.co.uk/2018/09/...nes-heres-why/

I know I've been working on cutting back my exposure to screen time once I realised I was wasting too much time on random surfing or random WhatsApp conversations. I've been doing it for a while and it's pretty manageable outside the office. I won't look at the mobile when in a taxi, unless to take a call from a critical number. I've stopped casually surfing the net on the mobile while watching TV or even at the gym, I take a book instead. The real problem is at work, the constant flitting between work and internet for 9-10 hours straight.

What about you all?
Old Sep 30th 2018, 11:26 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: Dangers of too much internet / screen exposure

Other than the Mrs and the insides of my eyelids, the first and last thing I look at is the phone.

I'm very good at not looking at it when engaged with someone important. Dinner with a parent or the mrs, it stays in my pocket. Out with friends less restrictive with myself unless we're stacking them up - the first to cave in pays.

I've tried to replace phone usage when watching TV with something equally mind numbing - we both noticed we could just scroll and watch TV at the same time. Not all night, but habitually you'd pick it up and look at something. I now do Sudoku's. I've nearly finished the book actually, need to buy another.

Similarly, I've exited a Whatsapp group that on a busy day could be upwards of 500 messages. Quiet days about 20-30. Since being out of that, particularly at the weekend when the football is on has meant my phone usage has plummeted to just checking the bets.

I think about this quite a lot. I really try not to restrict myself from things but provide alternatives. I'm not banned from using phone on sofa but I do a sudoku or think of something else or just look at what I wanted to look at. The only time I'm really restrictive is in the company of someone genuinely important.
Old Nov 1st 2018, 2:49 pm
Banned

Pops Piedmont is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Dangers of too much internet / screen exposure

when I pick up my phone in the middle of the night while sleeping and look at it...It burns my eyes- That can't be good