"Dangerous Minerals"

Old Feb 26th 2011, 4:58 pm
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Dangerous Minerals"

Originally Posted by fezzer
Ok this is one thing that's caught me out a few times here. I've just been stopped from filling the kettle up with water from the tap as i should apparently be using water from the cooler. When pressed as to why the tap water was unsafe even after boiling, I was given a strange look and just told "dangerous minerals"! Is it just my office being random?
Tap water in Dubai meets the WHO drinking water quality guidelines. So, no problem.
Old Feb 26th 2011, 5:41 pm
Banned

Bijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty
Saying that, I have heard that boiling and re-boiling the same water in the kettle can condense whatever minerals (logical) to "dangerous levels" (sceptical)
Probably right to be sceptical. Mineral water does contain minerals though and the 'dangerous' bit is them forming kidney stones which you don't want. Kidney stones are exacerbated by dehydration which is common to certain degrees in the middle east.

If the tap water has the same mineral content then the difference is irrelevant.

Some mineral waters have less minerals than others but no need to go there.
Old Feb 27th 2011, 4:28 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kim67
Yep, and you can't get fluoride tablets in the UAE either to make up for the lack of it in bottled water so everyone gets problems with their teeth and those dentists on Jumeirah Beach Road get to drive their Maserati's.
I believe you can get them from some doctors/dentists...however using a good fluoride toothpaste and mouth wash twice a day will help keep those dentists in Corollas instead of Maserati's

N.
Old Feb 27th 2011, 7:15 am
BE Enthusiast

CeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of light

I think there are a lot of soft people in this country. It will be the same band of people that constantly cover their faces in the sun, wear jumpers during the summer, believe that when you start up your car you should hold your breath because the air in the vents give you cancer and all this other mumbo jumbo you read on the emails.

I use tap water in the kettle and also for boiling stuff. There's no flaky scales in my kettle and i'm never ill (unless its self inflicted).

I believe that a bit of bad stuff can help your immune system which is why i think all this is a load of old tosh.

Oh, and as for the bottled 'spring water' you get? I'd hazard a guess that a lot of that stuff is largely the same as the stuff in your taps - only processed better. Masafi is the only one i'd trust to be actual spring water.
Old Feb 27th 2011, 8:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
I believe you can get them from some doctors/dentists...however using a good fluoride toothpaste and mouth wash twice a day will help keep those dentists in Corollas instead of Maserati's

N.
It was the dentist that told me you couldn't get them in the UAE, should have gone and checked the garage to see what she was driving!
Old Feb 27th 2011, 8:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CeeBee
I think there are a lot of soft people in this country. It will be the same band of people that constantly cover their faces in the sun, wear jumpers during the summer, believe that when you start up your car you should hold your breath because the air in the vents give you cancer and all this other mumbo jumbo you read on the emails.

I use tap water in the kettle and also for boiling stuff. There's no flaky scales in my kettle and i'm never ill (unless its self inflicted).

I believe that a bit of bad stuff can help your immune system which is why i think all this is a load of old tosh.

Oh, and as for the bottled 'spring water' you get? I'd hazard a guess that a lot of that stuff is largely the same as the stuff in your taps - only processed better. Masafi is the only one i'd trust to be actual spring water.
Nothing soft about covering your face in the sun. I'm in my early 40's and have already seen people my age long in the grave from melanoma cancer. A lot of those people covering their faces in the sun are probably just from countries that are a little more educated about the risks of sun exposure than some other expats.
Old Feb 27th 2011, 8:54 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing soft about covering your face in the sun. I'm in my early 40's and have already seen people my age long in the grave from melanoma cancer. A lot of those people covering their faces in the sun are probably just from countries that are a little more educated about the risks of sun exposure than some other expats.
I think he means the ones who freak if their sunhat tips an inch. I wear factor fck off on the face at all times once it heats up
Old Feb 27th 2011, 9:27 am
BE Enthusiast

CeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of light

Educated....paranoid....its a fine line.

I'm not stupid enough to ignore the risks but its the ones that step outside for a matter of 3 minutes that gets me. Having said that, i'm also referring to those nationalities that wear whitening make-up so maybe that has something to do with it.

I'm a sun lover so maybe i just don't get it.
Old Feb 27th 2011, 10:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by CeeBee
Educated....paranoid....its a fine line.

I'm not stupid enough to ignore the risks but its the ones that step outside for a matter of 3 minutes that gets me. Having said that, i'm also referring to those nationalities that wear whitening make-up so maybe that has something to do with it.

I'm a sun lover so maybe i just don't get it.
You can still be a sun lover and cover up. It's funny how the nationalities known for their sun and surf lifestyles are also the one's that wear a long sleeved rashy, boardies and hat and zink to go to the beach.
Old Feb 27th 2011, 10:12 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

You can still be a sun lover and cover up. It's funny how the nationalities known for their sun and surf lifestyles are also the one's that wear a long sleeved rashy, boardies and hat and zink to go to the beach.
but it is the Law in Oz is it not?
Old Feb 27th 2011, 10:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
but it is the Law in Oz is it not?
No, we don't have the sunscreen patrol on the beach - but all schools adhere to the sunsmart policy and children are not allowed to play without hats or do swimming lessons without sunshirts etc.
Old Feb 27th 2011, 10:26 am
Concierge

No, we don't have the sunscreen patrol on the beach - but all schools adhere to the sunsmart policy and children are not allowed to play without hats or do swimming lessons without sunshirts etc.
and compulsory sun screen in school? it's a good thing.
Old Feb 27th 2011, 10:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
and compulsory sun screen in school? it's a good thing.
Yeah, it does mean however we've gone from being the sun bronzed beach babes to nation to a nation of lilly white girls. Not good for the image in Dubai when the Aussies are the pasty and everyone else is bronze.
Old Feb 27th 2011, 10:47 am
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, it does mean however we've gone from being the sun bronzed beach babes to nation to a nation of lilly white girls. Not good for the image in Dubai when the Aussies are the pasty and everyone else is bronze.
yup, but better than that having to deal with skin cancer.
Old Feb 27th 2011, 11:40 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Isn't Australia directly under the ozone hole? Which means the sun rays are stronger down under than in Dubai?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.