Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Could have been dead today

Could have been dead today

Old Jun 14th 2009, 12:21 pm
Forum Regular

Abu Andy is just really niceAbu Andy is just really niceAbu Andy is just really niceAbu Andy is just really niceAbu Andy is just really niceAbu Andy is just really niceAbu Andy is just really niceAbu Andy is just really niceAbu Andy is just really nice
Default Re: Could have been dead today

Hi Grace,

I am glad to hear your OK.

I was reading at the weekend that the are enforcing a tyre clampdown over the summer, directing their attentions at the taxis apparantly.

I have not driven here yet but I can imagine how bad the tyres can get with the heat and sand. Even more so for the maniac locals who drive at extreme speeds and break hard at the last minute.

A.A.
Old Jun 14th 2009, 12:56 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
Glad you are okay. The quality of tyres in this country is something of a lottery.
I see whole tyres shredded into one long piece 3 or 4 times a day on the way home.
Old Jun 14th 2009, 1:08 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grace O Malley
My Tyre, which is one month old, blew on the ICAD highway, shite, i thought i was a gonna.
glad all is well...must have been a few horrible minutes for you...
and yes, people here are very helpful, that's a fact, for all the moaning that is being done about them, they won't let you stand stranded at the side of the road.
Old Jun 14th 2009, 4:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
Glad you are okay. The quality of tyres in this country is something of a lottery.
I really never thought about this before and wish I hadn't read this thread as it's another reason to hate the driving ! Glad you're alright Grace.....
Old Jun 14th 2009, 4:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

My Tyre, which is one month old, blew on the ICAD highway, shite, i thought i was a gonna.
omg, monsieur medusa had that on the way to ad a couple of months ago...nightmare, so glad to hear you're ok...

MM, xx
Old Jun 14th 2009, 4:51 pm
Banned

J0nah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by commander
Glad your okay..a lot of interesting points though re 2 hands on the wheel..

How does this work for the young emiratis who use their knees to steer with as they are eating a burger with one hand and talking on their mobile with the other..
How many times on SZR have you seen an Arab couple driving along with their seatbelts on with a toddler on their lap, even the drivers lap sometimes, then drive like idiots cutting everyone up! In Sha Allah
Old Jun 15th 2009, 1:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by J0nah
How many times on SZR have you seen an Arab couple driving along with their seatbelts on with a toddler on their lap, even the drivers lap sometimes, then drive like idiots cutting everyone up! In Sha Allah
its ok. they have insurance by Allah!
Old Jun 15th 2009, 1:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spugsy
I see whole tyres shredded into one long piece 3 or 4 times a day on the way home.
you should see the Emirates Road going out towards RAK. covered in shredded truck tyres.
Old Jun 15th 2009, 4:11 am
BE Enthusiast

seraphnina is a glorious beacon of lightseraphnina is a glorious beacon of lightseraphnina is a glorious beacon of lightseraphnina is a glorious beacon of lightseraphnina is a glorious beacon of lightseraphnina is a glorious beacon of lightseraphnina is a glorious beacon of lightseraphnina is a glorious beacon of lightseraphnina is a glorious beacon of lightseraphnina is a glorious beacon of lightseraphnina is a glorious beacon of light

omg thank goodness you are alright.
Old Jun 15th 2009, 9:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Smoochy Girl has much to be proud ofSmoochy Girl has much to be proud ofSmoochy Girl has much to be proud ofSmoochy Girl has much to be proud ofSmoochy Girl has much to be proud ofSmoochy Girl has much to be proud ofSmoochy Girl has much to be proud ofSmoochy Girl has much to be proud ofSmoochy Girl has much to be proud ofSmoochy Girl has much to be proud ofSmoochy Girl has much to be proud of

SO glad you're OK Grace - only just saw this; I would have pimp (peed in my pants!!) for the next 5 minutes after stopping. Did you damage the car badly or did you manage to pull up nicely at the side? I am sure I would just panic and scream and let the damned thing do whatever it wants which scares me to death!!
Old Jun 15th 2009, 10:32 am
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Could have been worse, you might just have collected a take away for Sharjah.

Glad all is well.
Old Jun 15th 2009, 10:49 am
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute

...nice to see that people are ready to stop and help...
Yeah that is pretty standard. Makes a refreshing change from getting threatened by two chavs on a BR train while a carriageful of commuters fail to notice anything.

Well done for keeping the car under control and stopping safely.
Old Jun 15th 2009, 11:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Smoochy Girl
SO glad you're OK Grace - only just saw this; I would have pimp (peed in my pants!!) for the next 5 minutes after stopping. Did you damage the car badly or did you manage to pull up nicely at the side? I am sure I would just panic and scream and let the damned thing do whatever it wants which scares me to death!!
ha ha , I was extremely calm actually when it happened, it was after, the knees went. The car needs a new wheel/tyre so not so bad, but today I am in agony, think I pulled a muscle in my arm.
Old Jun 15th 2009, 12:16 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

ha ha , I was extremely calm actually when it happened, it was after, the knees went. The car needs a new wheel/tyre so not so bad, but today I am in agony, think I pulled a muscle in my arm.
Thank goodness you are still in one piece girl.
I rather suspect,like myself -when your number is called
you would much rather have summit more interesting in
your hands than a steering wheel

You see .....you just haveto test that new handle that'swhat it was all about me thinks.......but for the 'Grace' of God and all

Keep safe

x
Old Jun 15th 2009, 1:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Karlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond repute

Get plenty of Stella down your neck, it will either fix your arm or you will be that pissed you will forget about it!

Glad your OK Grace ! x