Cobone refund problem

Old May 6th 2012, 1:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Cobone refund problem

Around a month ago 07/04 I saw this offer on Cobone (one of the Groupon type discounters) for an iPad 3 64Gb wifi for 2,789 Dhs, a saving of around 1,000 Dhs. I received the voucher and emailed it off to the supplier, a company called MultiMinds in Dubai. The voucher specified delivery within 4-5 working days.

A week later and nothing had arrived, so I call MultiMinds who tell me various stories like "tomorrow", "this week" "waiting for stock" depending on who I spoke to.

After getting totally pissed off with MultiMinds, I contacted Cobone for a refund. They were less than helpful but finally on 26/04 I received an email from someone called Ali at MultiMinds asking for my bank details so that they can refund me.

That was almost 2 weeks ago and no refund has come. And as usual, no one at MultiMinds gives me a straight answer when I call them (If they can be bothered to take the call in the first place).

So, my question is

- How do I get my refund?

- Who should make the refund, Cobone (from whom I bought the voucher), or from Multiminds themselves?

I received an email today from Cobone basically washing their hands of it and telling me I should deal directly with MultiMinds.
Old May 6th 2012, 1:16 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cobone refund problem

Do you want me to help?

I can speak to the CEO of Cobone (whose details I have) about it with my press hat on. That usually gets results.

Last edited by Meow; May 6th 2012 at 1:20 pm.
Old May 6th 2012, 1:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
Do you want me to help?

I can speak to the CEO of Cobone (whose details I have) about it with my press hat on. That usually gets results.
Thanks Meow, I was hoping you'd be along!

What information would you like from me?
Old May 6th 2012, 1:30 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oyibopeppeh
Thanks Meow, I was hoping you'd be along!

What information would you like from me?
PM'ing you now
Old May 6th 2012, 1:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Cobone refund problem

This is why I stopped using cobone etc- after some rather unflexible hotel vouchers which basically equated to pissing my money up the wall i decided not to bother again. Utter shit in my opinion!
Old May 6th 2012, 5:21 pm
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute

The same the world over - Groupon is in the shit in the US for much the same. The explosion of UAE copycat sites are not going to really step up in this regard.

That said I think Cobone and Livingsocial are the only 2 worth anything here.

And knowing the CEO's history at Cobone he'll jump to make sure any crappy stories don't hit social media - that is after all their medium of choice...

Bet this is resolved asap.

Also - shitty little stores abuse the group discount buying idea and don't deliver, is it the store or the voucher provider at fault. The small print will indicate the supplier I'd guess...
Old May 6th 2012, 5:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Autonomy
The small print will indicate the supplier I'd guess...
I imagine you're right Auto...but don't these agreements work only on the basis of the supplier only being paid by the voucher intermediary after the goods have been supplied?

In other words, if a voucher buyer doesn't actually use the voucher, then the voucher intermediary gets to keep the money?

I don't know of any case law (in the real world at least) on this, but I'm sure that they'd come down on the side of the contract being between the buyer and the voucher intermediary rather than the supplier.
Old May 6th 2012, 9:35 pm
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.cobone.com/static/terms

Refunds
Cobone loves happy customers! We realise that sometimes things aren’t quite right for you or even for us. We do the upmost to ensure we have researched the business and the deal itself and at all times try to be transparent and clear in the specific conditions and terms related to the deal.

We do rely on you, the customer to choose carefully and ensure when you buy from us online, that the deal suits your needs, requirements, timing and redemption ability. If your purchase is time dependant or based on availability of others or even the weather we at Cobone.com are unable to control the outcome of your schedule or nature! If you decide over time that the voucher is no longer of interest please gift it to a friend or family member. Share some of the group buying love.

Refunds will not be given
We value your business and whilst we aren’t responsible for the quality of the service provided by the merchant or the experience itself we will do everything we can to act as a liaison that can assist to find the most favourable outcome for you. So, if something major has let you down Contact Us and we’ll do all we can. If a refund is the only option, Cobone reserves the right to offer all monies as store credit.

If you don't get a good response in 48 hours start hitting them via twitter and facebook comments....
Old May 7th 2012, 11:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Meow....I don't know what you said to these people, and I hope I never ever piss you off myself!

The MD from MultiMinds has called me several times today to apologise/confirm the refund would be made today/apologise some more....he was petrified that this was going to made public in the press!

All now resolved and the refund just reached my bank account!

K+ and a big thanks for your help!
Old May 7th 2012, 11:12 am
Bored liberal

My pleasure.

Next week: global domination
Old May 7th 2012, 12:55 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

My pleasure.

Next week: global domination

I have stopped all of the emails I used to get from these companies apart from Living Social, I trust them as I know the owner and his partner and know if there was any issues it would be sorted immediately.,
Old Jun 21st 2012, 9:06 am
Just Joined

0304Dubai is an unknown quantity at this point

Do you want me to help?

Hi Meow,

We are also having issues with a Cobone Deal from Multiminds. We've been calling Multiminds to get a specific and reliable update on when the item we have purchased thru cobone will be delivered to us - the SAMSUNG GALAXY SIII. I've been calling Multiminds number and was told several delivery dates which never happened. I purchased and sent the cobone voucher last June 5. The advertisement says it is due for delivery June 6 and 7. It is now June 21 and still I haven't got a decent answer from both Cobone and Multiminds Trading. I was promised on my call last Tuesday that it'll be delivered by their driver today in my office in Internet City and that the driver will call my mobile. It's already 1pm and no one called from Multiminds, got hold of their number just now and they are delaying the call by asking me to repeat my details several times, spelling out the name VINCENT several times and then keeping me on hold for long. Telling me again a different delivery date, 12:37pm - saying it'll be delivered SUNDAY after few minutes on hold again at 12:40pm she promised a delivery date of Saturday? what an amazing customer service.
The call ended up with the multimind lady on the other end on mute. Sorry for the long rant but now I would like to be refunded and do not know to whom should I contact directly from cobone and multiminds. Can you please help me on this?

Thank You!
Old Jun 21st 2012, 9:18 am
Just Joined

0304Dubai is an unknown quantity at this point

Meow....I don't know what you said to these people, and I hope I never ever piss you off myself!

The MD from MultiMinds has called me several times today to apologise/confirm the refund would be made today/apologise some more....he was petrified that this was going to made public in the press!

All now resolved and the refund just reached my bank account!

K+ and a big thanks for your help!
Hi Oyi, thank you for this thread, can you please help us in getting in touch with the MD of multiminds?
Old Jun 21st 2012, 9:27 am
Bored liberal

Originally Posted by 0304Dubai
Hi Meow,

We are also having issues with a Cobone Deal from Multiminds. We've been calling Multiminds to get a specific and reliable update on when the item we have purchased thru cobone will be delivered to us - the SAMSUNG GALAXY SIII. I've been calling Multiminds number and was told several delivery dates which never happened. I purchased and sent the cobone voucher last June 5. The advertisement says it is due for delivery June 6 and 7. It is now June 21 and still I haven't got a decent answer from both Cobone and Multiminds Trading. I was promised on my call last Tuesday that it'll be delivered by their driver today in my office in Internet City and that the driver will call my mobile. It's already 1pm and no one called from Multiminds, got hold of their number just now and they are delaying the call by asking me to repeat my details several times, spelling out the name VINCENT several times and then keeping me on hold for long. Telling me again a different delivery date, 12:37pm - saying it'll be delivered SUNDAY after few minutes on hold again at 12:40pm she promised a delivery date of Saturday? what an amazing customer service.
The call ended up with the multimind lady on the other end on mute. Sorry for the long rant but now I would like to be refunded and do not know to whom should I contact directly from cobone and multiminds. Can you please help me on this?

Thank You!
Yes, but please email me. Info in link below.
Old Jun 21st 2012, 2:10 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

I imagine you're right Auto...but don't these agreements work only on the basis of the supplier only being paid by the voucher intermediary after the goods have been supplied?

In other words, if a voucher buyer doesn't actually use the voucher, then the voucher intermediary gets to keep the money?

I don't know of any case law (in the real world at least) on this, but I'm sure that they'd come down on the side of the contract being between the buyer and the voucher intermediary rather than the supplier.
Interesting. Cobone's terms and conditions (available on their website) state that they are acting as agent for the voucher issuer. The nature of agency is that the agent facilitates the making of a contract between the customer (in this situation, you) and the principal (in this situation, the voucher issuer, ie the shop). In the normal course of events an agent has no liability to a customer provided that he has conducted himself properly. Any failure by a principal to fulfil his end of the bargain gives the customer the right to take an action only against the principal, and not against the agent. If the customer pays the agent (as is the case here, and is not uncommon in agency arrangements) but does not pay the principal, the principal must still perform his end of the bargain with the customer, and the principal will have a right of action against the agent.

Provided that it is made clear the the agent is acting as an agent, and not as a re-seller, then any deal will be between the customer and the principal.

That's agency law (under English law) in a very small nutshell for you. I don't know what the situation is under UAE law, and there are potential complications in respect of the fact that this is a consumer sale, and that the principal's voucher has Cobone's name and logo on it.

However, regardless of the legal aspect, shout loud enough and in the right ears, and the situation is likely to get resolved. I had a similar situation with an ignorant slob doing jet-ski sessions, and Cobone quickly gave me a refund (well, a credit note in effect, but close enough). Good luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.