British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Close to Hitler (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/close-hitler-767279/)

Bahtatboy Aug 5th 2012 7:59 am

Close to Hitler

According to my 17-year-old son, you can reach an article on Wikipedia that mentions Hitler within 4 links from any other article. Haven't tested the theory yet, but I'll give Brussel Sprouts a go at lunchtime.

Bahtatboy Aug 5th 2012 8:01 am

Re: Close to Hitler

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 10211083)
According to my 17-year-old son, you can reach an article on Wikipedia that mentions Hitler within 4 links from any other article. Haven't tested the theory yet, but I'll give Brussel Sprouts a go at lunchtime.

1 click :(

Cypselos Aug 5th 2012 9:47 am

You only really need to get to Europe or Germany which is easy in a couple of clicks from most things

Millhouse Aug 5th 2012 10:27 am

You can do the same on BE. I believe it's three clicks to get to a Norm post :rofl:

The Dean Aug 5th 2012 11:13 am

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 10211083)

That's a variation on the 'Six Degrees of Separation' thing, where you can find links to/between anyone in the world in six steps (Bolivian roadsweeper to Bangalore schoolteacher, etc).

They did a Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon a while back - any actor, however obscure, can be linked back to Kevin Bacon (or anyone else) in six steps (in fact it's usually no more than four) based on films they've been in........

Bahtatboy Aug 5th 2012 11:34 am

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 10211315)
That's a variation on the 'Six Degrees of Separation' thing, where you can find links to/between anyone in the world in six steps (Bolivian roadsweeper to Bangalore schoolteacher, etc).

Yep, and in my lunchtime research (mainly using Wikipedia's Random Articles (and you can **** off, Jack, the italics are valid)), most got to Hitler within 2 or 3 links, and it was only the really obscure entries (eg a long-extinct bony fish, with only two hyperlinks in the one-sentence entry) that actually took 4.

Cypselos Aug 5th 2012 11:45 am

I was struggling with Inferior mesenteric artery, but Mel Gibson's Horseshoe Kidney came to the rescue.

Norm_uk Aug 5th 2012 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 10211250)
You can do the same on BE. I believe it's three clicks to get to a Norm post :rofl:

Would be funny but Hitler praised most of the things I have spoken against.

I'd be three steps from Churchill not Hitler mate.

N.

The Dean Aug 5th 2012 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by Norm_uk (Post 10211474)
Would be funny but Hitler praised most of the things I have spoken against.

I'd be three steps from Churchill not Hitler mate.

N.

I'm two steps from Churchill, following the handshake principle (if you have shaken hands, you have him in one, if you have shaken hands with someone he has shaken hands with, you have him in two, etc).

I have shaken hands with the late Edward Heath (I didn't inhale, so leave me alone) who shook hands with Churchill.

The Handshake Game is great fun, in fact............

Paracletus Aug 6th 2012 1:41 am

Wow..you guys never played the hitler wiki game? Its hilarious..and shows your knowledge too..I did romania in 3.

The rules are go to random wiki article, then get to hitler asap.

Cypselos Aug 6th 2012 4:50 am

Romania is an easy 1.

Miss Anne Thrope Aug 6th 2012 8:19 am

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 10211835)
I'm two steps from Churchill, following the handshake principle (if you have shaken hands, you have him in one, if you have shaken hands with someone he has shaken hands with, you have him in two, etc).

I have shaken hands with the late Edward Heath (I didn't inhale, so leave me alone) who shook hands with Churchill.

I was on a Concorde flight from Washington in the early '90s that Heath was on. Christ he was a miserable bastard, gruff and unpleasant to the stewardess who was assigned to look after him on the ground. And the Dulles BA staff were among the best in the network (partly why I got to blag onto Concorde regularly).

[See how I did that? Millhouse, are you watching?]

Norm_uk Aug 6th 2012 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 10211835)

I have photos my grandfather took of him when he came out to visit the boys in North Africa who were giving Rommell a good thrashing...don't think he got a handshake but one of his brothers was a senior RAF officer so he might have.

N.