Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

The climate change apocalypse draws nearer.....

The climate change apocalypse draws nearer.....

Old Nov 22nd 2007, 6:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The climate change apocalypse draws nearer.....

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
ohhh...i do recycle since the kids schools have started offering the facility...must say it was much easier at home cos the council were really hot on recycling and we had all sorts of recycling bins and boxes which were collected every week...

MM, xx
Yep - it's another area where the UAE could really improve its act. Some government funding to subsidize the costs of recylcing facilities & investment into a better garbage disposal system than the road-side hoppers currently used would not be that expensive, and would be in-line with international best practice.

I don't even know whether the Abu D Spinneys offers recycling, to be honest....
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 7:21 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie
Peak oil in itself can actually be a helpful factor; with the oil price as it is, it makes fossil fuel alternatives financially attractive. There is no conceptual reason why you could not supply energy needs through a mix of nuclear, ethanol fuels, solar produced H2 fuel cells, geothermal, wind power etc etc... There are good reasons why 4 nations are sending probes to the moon over the next 12 months - or more correctly, one good reason which is Helium 3 - sufficient supply of which would fuel a tokamak-geometry fusion reactor industry, which is a measure of the growing level of confidence that the Euro-Japanese tokamak fusion reactor project will finally realise the dream of sustainable fusion.

There are sufficient alternatives to the energy suply problem to both sustain humanity and mitigate the need to produce energy through carbon-chain combustion that produces CO2 - the question is whether collective humanity has the intelligence to fundamentally change its behaviour, or whether market forces and short sighted political interest will continue to determine our decision making and lead us down a destructive path.

Nature is fundamentally self-regulating; if you simplify it down to a simple predator-prey model, if we overuse our resources we will eventually reach a tipping point where the population is significantly reduced, or wiped out all together (depending on the parameters - it is a non-linear feed-back system, so has sensitivity to parametric variation). Given that we have the intelligence to understand our own condition, it then becomes a question of whether we then have the intellect and wisdom to make strategic decisions, or charge lemming like into an uncertain future...

{Shaks removes his spectacles and wanders from the lectern}
Unfortunately, I think the world is addicted to the latter - growth at all costs. The reduction in demand will be forced upon us, and the alternatives are neither sufficient in quantity (bi0fuel - drive or eat, your choice) nor currently viable (nuclear fusion remains a nice theory), and whilst the world's greatest Empire is spending trillions securing its oil sources, it is spending a relative pittance on research into viable alternatives.

People really should think about how oil is the basis for absolutely everything they do, not just in terms of filling their petrol tanks. Think about how oil is used in agriculture, both as a fertiliser and as a means of transport. Think about medicines and goods that rely on oil. Do you think that it is a coincidence that the world's population is nearly 7 billion today and was less than a billion in 1750, and 2.5 billion in 1950? The industrialised world exists on a massive energy deficit, especially places like Dubai, and it may well end up as a ghost town in a decade - a monument to mankind's hubris.

Nighty night!

Last edited by littlejimmy; Nov 22nd 2007 at 7:34 pm.
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 7:35 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

You are fairly generous in your prediction.Guess you are a Geordie from the south side of Hadrian's.Seriously,v interesting points-however....'the throw money at it' mentality is the norm here.....
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 7:45 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eva
You are fairly generous in your prediction.Guess you are a Geordie from the south side of Hadrian's.Seriously,v interesting points-however....'the throw money at it' mentality is the norm here.....
Well, I was born North of Hadrian's wall, but just on the English side, but I now live in North Yorks. I was in Dubai for a year up until July.
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 7:47 pm
Banned

Big Geezer has a brilliant futureBig Geezer has a brilliant futureBig Geezer has a brilliant futureBig Geezer has a brilliant futureBig Geezer has a brilliant futureBig Geezer has a brilliant futureBig Geezer has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by littlejimmy
Well, I was born North of Hadrian's wall, but just on the English side, but I now live in North Yorks. I was in Dubai for a year up until July.
Guess you are a bit confused then ? hahaha

Just messing mate.
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 7:50 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Never mind....worse things coulda happened
Do you do the mad Northumbrian Music Festival....?

So are ye back on the Tyne canny lad?You recently had a wee cherub yes/no?......mean your wife had anOther babe......nothing to do with your short lived career in DXB
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 7:52 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Big Geezer
Guess you are a bit confused then ? hahaha

Just messing mate.

Shut it for a mo..we all not as dexterous as you....My Dell keyboard is falling apart too and most of my vowels aren't working.....vowels so don't tell me about fibre
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 7:55 pm
Excess Baggage

Originally Posted by Eva

So are ye back on the Tyne canny lad?You recently had a wee cherub yes/no?......mean your wife had anOther babe......nothing to do with your short lived career in DXB
Think you have me mixed up with someone else. I'm no Geordie.
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 8:01 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sorry, I have....but hey betcha you've been called worse...
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 8:02 pm
Banned

Big Geezer has a brilliant futureBig Geezer has a brilliant futureBig Geezer has a brilliant futureBig Geezer has a brilliant futureBig Geezer has a brilliant futureBig Geezer has a brilliant futureBig Geezer has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by The Dean
Nobody will do anything until they actually FEEL the effects...... by which time it will of course be too late.

I have never met anyone who, in polite company, admits to worrying about 'global warming', 'climate change' etc.

As one of my intelligent (......er, well Eton and Oxford actually, but in theory.... well, you know) friends once said to me: "Greenhouse effect? Warmer winters and drier summers?? Yes please!!"

We are doomed.

And what's worse - as the problem intensifies, there will be more of Al Gore on the telly........
Could be worse Dean, Tone could make a return. Yeah but let's go back a few billion years - everything ok ( except the fact you could be swallowed whole at any moment by some lizard thing ( mmm nothings changed then lads ? hahaha ) ) and then a BLOODY GREAT BIG PIECE OF ROCK ( caps lock, sorry ) hits planet earth and then who gave a shite it all changed and here we are worrying about the day to day crap.

Dont get me wrong but I think it is a bit bigger than some chinese underarm anti sweat spray ! Tell me I am wrong ? hit me ! hahahaha
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 8:05 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Eva

What the fe ck?
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 8:09 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Big Geezer....you are all over this place like an outbreak of chickenpox....
What bit of the last post; not that it was posted to you are you having trouble with......
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 8:19 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Eva
Big Geezer....you are all over this place like an outbreak of chickenpox....
What bit of the last post; not that it was posted to you are you having trouble with......
Just getting a bit involved quickly ! Chickenpox is a bit toxic though - UNFAIR !

No trouble with the posting - just stirring the pot a little ????

Eva ?? ? ??
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 8:24 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva??? what ..? Why are you having trouble with it?

Big Geeser? ...Antipodean?
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 8:28 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Eva
Eva??? what ..? Why are you having trouble with it?

Big Geeser? ...Antipodean?
No probs. You misunderstand my ??? just poking a bit of fun ! -apologies if you misunderstood my meaning.

Not down under at all ....... miles away!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.