Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Christmas presents you don't get anymore

Christmas presents you don't get anymore

Old Dec 22nd 2010, 12:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Christmas presents you don't get anymore

Oh how present giving has changed-I've decided to stop giving pressier to my nephews and am just saving cash for them for when they turn 18 and will give tham a lump sum so they can go and buy a car or have a hell of a weekend as they seem to have everything they want already and their house is pretty much like a toy shop.

I remember being little and every year i would get a jigsaw puzzle- would keep me occupied all xmas morning, a terrys chocolate orange- would be eaten by 10 am (half by my brother as he would have scoffed his before 6am), a 5 pack of knickers (really mum why would you give a kid a 5 pack of knickers in their stocking?), a little teddy and something artycrafty- which would keep me occupied all afternoon and something along the lines of a bike/barbie house/hamster as big present- all in all I used to think i did pretty well- but compared to kids today i was shafted! always got a couple of duff pressies from my mad auntie but that used to be quite funny. Apart from when I became newly single at the age of 27 after an 8 year relationship and got a cookery book entitled hotpots for one.

Is it me or do kids have awesome pressies these days? And what has been your worst pressie of all times?

Kittycat
xxx
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 12:21 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Christmas presents you don't get anymore

kids are spoilt these days not that I didn't do without as a kid but it was on a much smaller scale, got the chocolate orange, bought Mitten one this year too!! we always had new pyjamas on Christmas Eve, a bubble bath and an early night for Santa coming. My brother got action man stuff and played for hours and hours on end with it. It's a generation thing Kitty, the kids today are into technology and hence it costs more.
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 12:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Ha I used to love action man and his blue plastic pants- by boxing day he would be married to my Barbie- Ken was just to gay for her! Funny how I now go for men who are a bit of rough and REAL men and have loads of gay friends...

Should just point out my brother used to get action man not me!
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 12:34 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kittycat1
Ha I used to love action man and his blue plastic pants- by boxing day he would be married to my Barbie- Ken was just to gay for her! Funny how I now go for men who are a bit of rough and REAL men and have loads of gay friends...

lol same here! I got a tiny tears one year, I thought I had died and gone to heaven!
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 12:45 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

For years I was thrilled to have a Jackie annual and a Terry's Chocolate Orange in my stocking. It was only years later that I realised these were designed to keep me occupied and quiet for hours!

I know I sound like a bitter old cow, but children have so much these days and seem to get gifts throughout the year, not just at birthdays and Christmas. Don't they end up taking it all for granted?

Oh, and if I don't get a Chocolate Orange wrapped up every year, I'll complain. It's traditional!!
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 12:48 pm
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Beano Annual, every year from my Aunty Ivy, bless her. Always the most used present.
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 1:07 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Meow
For years I was thrilled to have a Jackie annual and a Terry's Chocolate Orange in my stocking. It was only years later that I realised these were designed to keep me occupied and quiet for hours!

I know I sound like a bitter old cow, but children have so much these days and seem to get gifts throughout the year, not just at birthdays and Christmas. Don't they end up taking it all for granted?

Oh, and if I don't get a Chocolate Orange wrapped up every year, I'll complain. It's traditional!!
I used to love the Jackie!
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 2:39 pm
Banned

Le Man is an unknown quantity at this point

I remember getting books for christmas, books I never read and had no interest in reading.
Old Dec 23rd 2010, 6:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kittycat1

Blimey, you've reminded me of that old joke:

Little Girl: "Mummy, can I have Barbie and Ken for Christmas please?"
Mummy: "Barbie AND Ken?? I didn't realise Barbie came with Ken."
Little Girl: " She doesn't, Mummy, she comes with Action Man - she fakes it with Ken..........."