British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Christmas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/christmas-868940/)

scrubbedexpat141 Dec 8th 2015 7:10 am

Christmas

Further from Meow's questionnaire, what are the esteemed members of the bored doing for Christmas this year? Will you stay? Will you go?

al dente Dec 8th 2015 8:03 am

Re: Christmas

We are here. We get to stay every second year and i love it. Beautiful weather, easy access to a perfectly roasted turkey and lots of mingling with waifs and strays. My mum and her husband are coming and there will be high excitement from our littlies for Father Christmas and their enthusiasm is infectious. Two friends houses for drinks in the morning, pick up lunch on the way home and then I've ordered two massive hams and we have 6 families coming over from 5 for drinks and sandwiches.

One thing has surprised me this year; how many of our friends that are going to church. We are not.

scrubbedexpat141 Dec 8th 2015 8:26 am

Originally Posted by al dente (Post 11809984)
We are here. We get to stay every second year and i love it. Beautiful weather, easy access to a perfectly roasted turkey and lots of mingling with waifs and strays. My mum and her husband are coming and there will be high excitement from our littlies for Father Christmas and their enthusiasm is infectious. Two friends houses for drinks in the morning, pick up lunch on the way home and then I've ordered two massive hams and we have 6 families coming over from 5 for drinks and sandwiches.

One thing has surprised me this year; how many of our friends that are going to church. We are not.

Interesting.

I've never stayed, this will be my fifth Xmas travelling home. I do enjoy it and enjoy going to the UK at a 'nice' time (like if it's sunny in August).

Next year I want to stay here though and avoid all the family drama completely.

Two massive hams sounds incredible. :thumbup:

DXBtoDOH Dec 8th 2015 9:03 am

Well, it's bloody cold today so I might as well go home if it's going to be like this over Christmas here!

But I like Christmas in the UK. Seeing mates in London first, then home for Christmas with a full dinner (burp), little nephews and nieces running around and long walks in the countryside. It's relaxing.

Inselaffen Dec 8th 2015 9:16 am

usually go back but staying this year. booked into a hotel for 25th-26th just to get away a little bit

mentalist Dec 8th 2015 9:40 am

We always stay but this will be our last Xmas here. If anyone needs any second hand household furniture, books and stuff, please drop me a line.

UKCityGent Dec 8th 2015 9:45 am

ME as a base - It will be the first Xmas as a couple - dreading all the activities she has planned like visiting friends, lunches, dinners etc.

al dente Dec 8th 2015 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 11809989)
Interesting.

Two massive hams sounds incredible. :thumbup:

2 x 5 kg. Soaked for 3 days and then boiled with orange juice, water, spices and pepercorns. Then glazed with mustard and marmalade.

Makes christmas!

I've had my share of family drama, best was when my divorced parents decided to put their diffrences aside and my dad brought a kenyan prostitute as his date.

scrubbedexpat141 Dec 8th 2015 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by al dente (Post 11810105)
2 x 5 kg. Soaked for 3 days and then boiled with orange juice, water, spices and pepercorns. Then glazed with mustard and marmalade.

Makes christmas!

I've had my share of family drama, best was when my divorced parents decided to put their diffrences aside and my dad brought a kenyan prostitute as his date.

Your Dad sounds ****ing hilarious.

My Mum insists on burying cloves into any gammon / ham. Eurgh.

al dente Dec 8th 2015 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 11810115)
Your Dad sounds ****ing hilarious.

He agrees with you 😉

Johnnyboy11 Dec 8th 2015 2:43 pm

I will go, to Scotland and be with the family. Not sure how Qatar Airways will get through the Sinai/Iraq/Syria/Turkey funk, but I'll be looking out for F16s and SAMs, if I get a window seat. Then there's the zombie apocalypse in Fife that I need to circumnavigate before I arrive home...

scot47 Dec 8th 2015 2:49 pm

The Zombie Apocalypse mentioned above is the Almighty's way of telling us that we all travel too much. Stay where you are and life will be a lot easier.

TGFKASE Dec 9th 2015 1:58 am

Heading back to Scotland tonight.. First Christmas and New Year at home for over 12 years. AUH - EDI tonight, pick up the hire car and take the Stirling detour, since they have closed the Forth Rd Bridge, and home in time for butteries and a cuppie mid morning..

BEVS Dec 9th 2015 2:17 am

Sounds wonderful Have a great Christmas and New Year

Millhouse Dec 9th 2015 7:01 am

Originally Posted by al dente (Post 11810105)

Makes christmas!

What did she give him for Christmas?