British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Chevy Tahoe LTZ (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/chevy-tahoe-ltz-755787/)

Desert Dubliner Apr 22nd 2012 12:48 pm

Chevy Tahoe LTZ

Have mulled over several SUV vehicles available in KSA with 180kSAR budget:

- Sequoia - don't fancy the interior, plastics look like they're made from recycled insides of a chocolate box
- Land Cruizer - only crappy spec within budget with weedy 4.0V6
- Prado - 4.0V6 would do but KSA Toyota made a stupid decision not to sell VXR any more to push people to Lexus GX so only basic spec available so no leather and no curtain airbags
- Lexus GX - only second hand within budget - expensive service / parts, also I feel it is too much money for a pimped Prado
- Grand Cherokee - love it in Overland spec but no third row of seats
- Armada - liked it but now I cooled off, crappy dealer helped

I have now settled for Tahoe in LTZ spec. So any reason not to?

Millhouse Apr 22nd 2012 12:59 pm

Re: Chevy Tahoe LTZ

Originally Posted by Desert Dubliner (Post 10019501)

It's been designed by an american using the mind boggling imperial measurement system and built by a Spanish speaking Mexican who understands metric.

Desert Dubliner Apr 22nd 2012 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 10019514)
It's been designed by an american using the mind boggling imperial measurement system and built by a Spanish speaking Mexican who understands metric.

Fair enough. The resulting issue might be reliability but it is scoring not much worse than other similar cars. Ok nobody beats Toyota but Toyota's look like shit and interior feels crap except top spec Land Cruiser.

flares Apr 22nd 2012 1:13 pm

Jeep Grand Cherokee?

Millhouse Apr 22nd 2012 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by Desert Dubliner (Post 10019527)
Fair enough. The resulting issue might be reliability but it is scoring not much worse than other similar cars. Ok nobody beats Toyota but Toyota's look like shit and interior feels crap except top spec Land Cruiser.

Is the summer AC shit like the Ford Explorers?

It'll also depreciate in value faster than a take away curry. Other than that, if you are buying new I'm sure they are great. You see many saudi registered ones on UAE roads.

Desert Dubliner Apr 22nd 2012 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by saudiflares (Post 10019538)
Jeep Grand Cherokee?

I have once before bought an SUV w/o a third row of seats thinking that with two kids I won't need it. I have come to regret this on many occasions.

Desert Dubliner Apr 22nd 2012 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 10019545)
Is the summer AC shit like the Ford Explorers?

It'll also depreciate in value faster than a take away curry. Other than that, if you are buying new I'm sure they are great. You see many saudi registered ones on UAE roads.

What you mean, AC is not strong enough? Never came across a comment like that but I will check. I have had issues with a weedy AC on Toyota Camry. It was like an asthmatic blowing through a 20 miles long straw.

Re depreciation, it does depreciate faster than Toyota but still you can't find many second hand Tahoes in KSA which have fallen in price much more than other similar cars.

weasel decentral Apr 22nd 2012 1:23 pm

Had a Tahoe in Saudi, and i have to say it was a piece of shit.

Big comfortable seats were a plus but otherwise it was a wallowing ship on the road and bizarrely big bumps made the suspension feel very hard, the electrics were crap, the windows stopped working a few times, and the AC was average.

Needless to say I got to know every petrol pump attendant by name, this was a 2 year old company vehicle.

edit to say this was the normal version not the extra long one. Also the front had bench seats so you could get 3 in the front and 4 in the back easily

flares Apr 22nd 2012 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by Desert Dubliner (Post 10019548)
I have once before bought an SUV w/o a third row of seats thinking that with two kids I won't need it. I have come to regret this on many occasions.

Yep. My mate who works for Al Fahim in Abu Dhabi reliably informs me there a new 7 seater Jeep called a Wagoneer or something coming out.

Howsabout a Dodge Durango? New model supposed to be a marked improvement. Cheap as chips relatively speaking

Oyibopeppeh Apr 22nd 2012 1:51 pm

Build quality and performance is pants and handles like the leviathan which it is.

The only good thing in it's favour is the remote starter, meaning the inside isn't quite at furnace temperature when you're ready to drive off. It also has an AC blower under the seat to keep your arse cool after a minging hot ruby.

Desert Dubliner Apr 22nd 2012 1:54 pm

I don't know why they made Durango smaller or at least it looks smaller. It lacks road presence of Tahoe, Yukon, Sequoia. It's similar size to Jeep Grand Cherokee - compact SUV (speaking in USA/ME terms).

Bahtatboy Apr 22nd 2012 1:57 pm

Not that it matters, but what the hell does LTZ stand for? GX and VXR at least sound kinda sexy and macho, but LTZ: sort of Lazy-er-what-the-****-lets-just-pick-a-couple-or-random-letters-yeah-T-and-Z-don't-mean-much-that'll-confuse-the-punters.

Bahtatboy Apr 22nd 2012 1:58 pm

Just thought of one: Lake Tahoe Zombie?

Oyibopeppeh Apr 22nd 2012 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 10019608)
Not that it matters, but what the hell does LTZ stand for? GX and VXR at least sound kinda sexy and macho, but LTZ: sort of Lazy-er-what-the-****-lets-just-pick-a-couple-or-random-letters-yeah-T-and-Z-don't-mean-much-that'll-confuse-the-punters.

Doesn't stand for anything - it just denotes the spec level.

LS
LT
LTZ

Bahtatboy Apr 22nd 2012 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by Oyibopeppeh (Post 10019619)
Doesn't stand for anything - it just denotes the spec level.

LS
LT
LTZ

US IQ Test 2012

Complete the sequence: LS LT LTZ ____

Tockalosh Apr 22nd 2012 2:30 pm

I'll be the third to say they wallow hideously

Also fold up 3rd row seats eat up the boot space when folded.

Ford expedition is cheaper and inside feels cheaper but drives much better and third row folds flat

Boomhauer Apr 22nd 2012 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by Desert Dubliner (Post 10019501)
Have mulled over several SUV vehicles available in KSA with 180kSAR budget:

- Sequoia - don't fancy the interior, plastics look like they're made from recycled insides of a chocolate box
- Land Cruizer - only crappy spec within budget with weedy 4.0V6
- Prado - 4.0V6 would do but KSA Toyota made a stupid decision not to sell VXR any more to push people to Lexus GX so only basic spec available so no leather and no curtain airbags
- Lexus GX - only second hand within budget - expensive service / parts, also I feel it is too much money for a pimped Prado
- Grand Cherokee - love it in Overland spec but no third row of seats
- Armada - liked it but now I cooled off, crappy dealer helped

A used G-Wagon or GL class? My sis bought a 1.5 year old GL450, and I drove it during winter in the MidWest. Feels pretty solid and interior is not cheapo looking like soo many Japanese vehicles. Biggest passenger vehicle Merc makes.

Desert Dubliner Apr 22nd 2012 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by Boomhauer (Post 10019664)
A used G-Wagon or GL class? My sis bought a 1.5 year old GL450, and I drove it during winter in the MidWest. Feels pretty solid and interior is not cheapo looking like soo many Japanese vehicles. Biggest passenger vehicle Merc makes.

Very few on the market. I have seen a year old top spec GL for 250kSAR which is blowing an already overblown budget. I was supposed to import my GCC spec XC90 which is in a perfect nick and has only 45k km on the clock but the assholes here pretend they will increase the quality of vehicles by imposing a 5 year limit on import cars. All they do is help their second-hand and new car dealership buddies. By the time I sorted out the IQAMA the Volvo turned 5 and that was it. And you should see the bangers on the streets of Jeddah while my perfect car is sitting in Ireland and being taxed to oblivion by those moronic Greens. Can't sell it, nobody will buy a LHD 2.5L Turbo with the price of petrol closing in on E2 per liter so I am using it as 'when we go to Dublin' car. Blah.

And G-wagens are normally bought in top spec and are therefore hideously expensive. I used to drive one, during my army career - great piece of kit.

flares Apr 23rd 2012 4:45 am

[QUOTE=Desert Dubliner;10020019] I was supposed to import my GCC spec XC90 which is in a perfect nick and has only 45k km on the clock but the assholes here pretend they will increase the quality of vehicles by imposing a 5 year limit on import cars.QUOTE]

Has anyone heard of this rule being bent at all? I've a 5 1/2 year old Jeep Commander with only 70k on the clock that has been very good (bar AC glitch) and has a good few years left in it that I'd love to take with me.

Desert Dubliner Apr 23rd 2012 9:07 am

All this talk about handling, guys we're buying truck based kit here, what do you expect?

britexpat76 Apr 23rd 2012 11:50 am

I export to Saudi and I dont know anyone (locals) that have taken a car over 5 years in. We sell a lot into KSA, I dont know what the dealers are like or prices there though?

weasel decentral Apr 23rd 2012 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by Desert Dubliner (Post 10020647)
All this talk about handling, guys we're buying truck based kit here, what do you expect?

only to wallow as much as the other manufacturers jeeps do.

mine wallowed so much it felt like i was driving one of those monster trucks with 2 metres of suspension travel

OleJanx Apr 23rd 2012 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by weasel decentral (Post 10020865)

mine wallowed so much it felt like i was driving one of those monster trucks with 2 metres of suspension travel

The best quote on 4x4 handling was "..like sitting on a bar stool, placed on a waterbed." Sadly, this was discribing how old Range Rovers handle, and is perfectly true.

Meow Apr 23rd 2012 2:05 pm

Unless you have six children or have to transport large items, why do people want vehicles the size of a small bus as their main car?

Bahtatboy Apr 23rd 2012 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10021016)
Unless you have six children or have to transport large items, why do people want vehicles the size of a small bus as their main car?

To swing the odds in your favour when the inevitable happens. Especially if you travel frequently between AD and Dubai.

Meow Apr 23rd 2012 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 10021022)
To swing the odds in your favour when the inevitable happens. Especially if you travel frequently between AD and Dubai.

Then what's wrong with a normal sized SUV? The Armada is ridiculously big.

Desert Dubliner Apr 23rd 2012 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10021016)

You're a woman, you won't understand.

Meow Apr 23rd 2012 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by Desert Dubliner (Post 10021110)
You're a woman, you won't understand.

*goes back to thinking about kittens*

It's because I don't need a penis extension, isn't it? :nod:

OleJanx Apr 23rd 2012 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10021125)
*goes back to thinking about kittens*

It's because I don't need a penis extension, isn't it? :nod:

are you sure you're not thinking of claws?

Desert Dubliner Apr 23rd 2012 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by OleJanx (Post 10021130)
are you sure you're not thinking of claws?

I have always maintained that women generally fit into two groups: kittens and castrators.

Meow Apr 23rd 2012 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by Desert Dubliner (Post 10021148)
I have always maintained that women generally fit into two groups: kittens and castrators.

Don't be silly. That's like saying that men are either twats or chauvinists.

Oh...

;)

Desert Dubliner Apr 23rd 2012 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10021160)
Don't be silly. That's like saying that men are either twats or chauvinists.

Oh...

;)

At least it is clear whether you belong to the 'kittens' or 'claws' category. :D

Desert Dubliner May 9th 2012 10:34 am

Originally Posted by weasel decentral (Post 10020865)

Got it yesterday, first impressions are good. Whether it's wallowing or not I have a friend's Sequoia as benchmark and not much difference. Used to drive XC90 but not much comparison there as this is based on a car platform.

AC is good and all stuff works, no sueeks or rattles seems well built both inside and outside. First 200 km the engine is loosening up nicely. Looks very good in black with some chrome on it not too much.

I know Sequoia is a better car at similar price but I just could not get excited about the looks and the dash is crap like on most Toyotas.

Overall I am very happy with purchase.

Dumbo May 10th 2012 3:44 am

Originally Posted by Desert Dubliner (Post 10049918)
Got it yesterday, first impressions are good. Whether it's wallowing or not I have a friend's Sequoia as benchmark and not much difference. Used to drive XC90 but not much comparison there as this is based on a car platform.

AC is good and all stuff works, no sueeks or rattles seems well built both inside and outside. First 200 km the engine is loosening up nicely. Looks very good in black with some chrome on it not too much.

I know Sequoia is a better car at similar price but I just could not get excited about the looks and the dash is crap like on most Toyotas.

Overall I am very happy with purchase.

Are you a short man desert?

Desert Dubliner May 10th 2012 4:44 am

Originally Posted by Dumbo (Post 10051783)
Are you a short man desert?

I'm 6'3". Why?

Dumbo May 10th 2012 6:59 am

Originally Posted by Desert Dubliner (Post 10051858)
I'm 6'3". Why?

I guess I am surprised that a man of your stature would want such a large vehicle. I can understand women wanting a bit of security and short men wanting a leg up.

Desert Dubliner May 10th 2012 7:42 am

Originally Posted by Dumbo (Post 10052009)
I guess I am surprised that a man of your stature would want such a large vehicle. I can understand women wanting a bit of security and short men wanting a leg up.

On my own I would have gone for A8 but the way Saudis drive I wanted to enclose my kids into as much metal as possible. Having said that, I do enjoy the vehicles with road presence.

Desert Dubliner Jul 29th 2012 9:45 pm

So let me take this opportunity to update you on the first three months with my Chevy.

The handling is great for a car (or rather a truck as yanks say) of that size. Perhaps the previous models had issues with wallowing suspension but this generation is definitely well sorted.

It ain't an Audi inside but it is actually easy to look at and, unless you finger it, the dash looks good. Happy with the vented seats and particularly with remote engine start which cools it down quite nicely (its black so it heats up like an oven out in the open) by the time I get from the 12th floor of our office building. Loads of space for me at the front and kids in the back. Can lower the seat for a nap (not me the passenger seat, Mrs Gekko takes a nap going back from the beach) and still space in the back for child in a car seat.

The V8 is a joy and it accelerates with urgency when floored which is a great feeling in a 3 tone car. The fuel economy (so to speak) is actually better then expected. Continuous city drive gives me 18l/100km which isn't at all bad from a 5.3l engine compared to my '06 volvo Xc90 which does 15l/100 in town with 2.5l turbo.

Love it so far.

Ronnie Biggs Jul 30th 2012 7:04 am

Originally Posted by Desert Dubliner (Post 10200023)
So let me take this opportunity to update you on the first three months with my Chevy.

The handling is great for a car (or rather a truck as yanks say) of that size. Perhaps the previous models had issues with wallowing suspension but this generation is definitely well sorted.

It ain't an Audi inside but it is actually easy to look at and, unless you finger it, the dash looks good. Happy with the vented seats and particularly with remote engine start which cools it down quite nicely (its black so it heats up like an oven out in the open) by the time I get from the 12th floor of our office building. Loads of space for me at the front and kids in the back. Can lower the seat for a nap (not me the passenger seat, Mrs Gekko takes a nap going back from the beach) and still space in the back for child in a car seat.

The V8 is a joy and it accelerates with urgency when floored which is a great feeling in a 3 tone car. The fuel economy (so to speak) is actually better then expected. Continuous city drive gives me 18l/100km which isn't at all bad from a 5.3l engine compared to my '06 volvo Xc90 which does 15l/100 in town with 2.5l turbo.

Love it so far.

Cheers for the update. I'm eyeing the Dodge Durango (crew model) at the moment and a big part of that is for the remote start. If you don't mind me asking, what did you pay in the end?

Millhouse Jul 30th 2012 7:33 am

Originally Posted by Ronnie Biggs (Post 10200491)
Cheers for the update. I'm eyeing the Dodge Durango (crew model) at the moment and a big part of that is for the remote start. If you don't mind me asking, what did you pay in the end?

Can't you get a remote start fitted to any car? We had a Clifford alarm on the hot hatch in the UK and that would do remote start and remote lights.

Also made a cool noise when the alarm went off. If anyone has ever heard a Clifford you will know exactly what I mean.