Chemists over here

Old Dec 15th 2008, 4:47 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Chemists over here

They proper try to 'upsell' don't they?

Just went in as I have a cough and a bad chest, he tried to sell me FOUR different things, one for sneezing, on for a cough, one for my chest and then something to make me sleep, all for about AED120. Then I asked him if they were sleeping tablets and he said no, so I said 'well what's the point of that?', he didn't really have an answer....
Old Dec 15th 2008, 4:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

MissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chemists over here

Originally Posted by Spugsy
They proper try to 'upsell' don't they?

Just went in as I have a cough and a bad chest, he tried to sell me FOUR different things, one for sneezing, on for a cough, one for my chest and then something to make me sleep, all for about AED120. Then I asked him if they were sleeping tablets and he said no, so I said 'well what's the point of that?', he didn't really have an answer....
Most of the time down my chemists they try throwing anti-biotics at you.That is their answer to everything!!
Old Dec 15th 2008, 4:51 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MissDemeanor
Most of the time down my chemists they try throwing anti-biotics at you.That is their answer to everything!!
actually I bought some prescription only slimming tablets last week, talked him into it, take one a day, they stop you getting hungey but apparently are a bit dodgy, give you moodswings, stop you sleeping sometimes, a bit like you (),

anyway not sure if I should take them now as they have only been tested for a year and are illegal in the US, but may give them a go after xmas...
Old Dec 15th 2008, 4:55 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

actually I bought some prescription only slimming tablets last week, talked him into it, take one a day, they stop you getting hungey but apparently are a bit dodgy, give you moodswings, stop you sleeping sometimes, a bit like you (),

anyway not sure if I should take them now as they have only been tested for a year and are illegal in the US, but may give them a go after xmas...
Why on earth is a man in the prime of his youth like you taking slimming tablets, eh fatty? Personally I find Pharmacists here very helpful and save me hundreds of Dirhams in doctor's bills, but be mindful that they invariably try to sell the top brand drugs to us Europeans, whereas the cheaper Asian versions are often equally effective.
Old Dec 15th 2008, 5:02 am
why ayeeeee man!

Originally Posted by lionheart
Why on earth is a man in the prime of his youth like you taking slimming tablets, eh fatty? Personally I find Pharmacists here very helpful and save me hundreds of Dirhams in doctor's bills, but be mindful that they invariably try to sell the top brand drugs to us Europeans, whereas the cheaper Asian versions are often equally effective.
just tryoing an easy option to lose weight fella.
Old Dec 15th 2008, 6:33 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Chemists over here

Taking more antibiotics than is strictly required is probably a bad idea. With many bacteria by the time you have a physical reaction your body is already dealing with the situation so although you may get better soon after taking XYZ it often doesn't have much to do with XYZ. All you are doing is creating more situations for resistant bacteria to spread within the human population .
Old Dec 15th 2008, 6:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

MissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Charismatic
Taking more antibiotics than is strictly required is probably a bad idea. With many bacteria by the time you have a physical reaction your body is already dealing with the situation so although you may get better soon after taking XYZ it often doesn't have much to do with XYZ. All you are doing is creating more situations for resistant bacteria to spread within the human population .
yes...that is why i always tell them to bugger off.
Old Dec 15th 2008, 6:45 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Chemists over here

yes...that is why i always tell them to bugger off.
Do you not think it's a little unwise to be unkind to people with access to both tablets you'll put inside your mouth and laxatives?
Old Dec 15th 2008, 7:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Do you not think it's a little unwise to be unkind to people with access to both tablets you'll put inside your mouth and laxatives?
Im not unkind...i just dont like people who try and give me medication when they arent doctors and know nothing about it!

apart from my drug dealer obviously!
Old Dec 15th 2008, 7:38 am
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

GPs in the UK seem to have a thing for anti-biotics too, you know. That and a new-found trend of Googling any ailment right in front of you and after perusing a few websites, coming to a rather vague conclusion like "hmmm... it seems like it's nothing to worry about". Thank goodness I don't then hand over good money (yeah, yeah, taxes...) and thank him for his Intarweb Skillz.

Everyone here seems to over-medicalise. I think it's a symptom of a private system - it's the same thing in France - and therefore they equate a decent prescription with "value for money".
Old Dec 15th 2008, 8:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Bambi in Abu Dhabi is a splendid one to beholdBambi in Abu Dhabi is a splendid one to beholdBambi in Abu Dhabi is a splendid one to beholdBambi in Abu Dhabi is a splendid one to beholdBambi in Abu Dhabi is a splendid one to beholdBambi in Abu Dhabi is a splendid one to beholdBambi in Abu Dhabi is a splendid one to beholdBambi in Abu Dhabi is a splendid one to beholdBambi in Abu Dhabi is a splendid one to beholdBambi in Abu Dhabi is a splendid one to beholdBambi in Abu Dhabi is a splendid one to behold

This is true. Antibiotics work like a form of 'saturation bombing', and considering that 40% of the bacteria in our bodies are there to protect us, it makes sense to avoid antiobiotics where at all possible. The only time I would ever consider taking antibiotics is if I were suffering from Bacterial Meningitis. Or something similar. And then I wouldn't hesitate.

just tryoing an easy option to lose weight fella.
Spugsy, man - isn't there an easier way???
Old Dec 15th 2008, 8:22 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Im not unkind...i just dont like people who try and give me medication when they arent doctors and know nothing about it!

apart from my drug dealer obviously!

Depends who you are dealing with. A qualified pharmacist will know rather a lot and it is easier to speak to one of them about minor common ailments.

No comment on your dealer, although I have met a few with chemistry degrees if that helps.

-