The change in Dubai

Old May 8th 2011, 9:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The change in Dubai

Ok well we all know that I hated it here when I arrived here, but now I am actually quite enjoying myself. I still miss London terribly but I know that if I was back there I would be struggling at the moment financially, with everyone moaning about the same thing. I've made a great circle of friends here and one of the things I really like here is that everyone is a bit more positive- you take away the stress of money and everyone is much happier. I do find it somewhat shallow sometimes, but having said that I was working in the fashion industry in London so its just a different level of shallow.

and as much as I love London I know a lot of people who have had enough of a big bustling city and are moving out to the countryside. You can have enough of wherever you are. For me at the moment here is a good option for now. I'm certain i won't be here forever but whilst im getting what i need here- ie security and money, then I shall be here, when something else comes along then I'll go wherever the tide takes me. For me Im in a happy place for now.
Old May 8th 2011, 10:14 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=kittycat1;9350422I've made a great circle of friends here and one of the things I really like here is that everyone is a bit more positive- [/QUOTE]Oih! wash your mouth out, please. Not everyone is a bit more positive.
Old May 8th 2011, 10:38 am
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
I didn't realise that you had met my wife

If you want to see something really interesting watch how the women interact with each other in a school car park where the cars are a bit too big and the spaces a bit too small. I love doing the school run just for this. It's like some kind of ****ed up social experiment.

The best one was the 'lady' going nuts as us as she wanted us to pull forward into the road so she could get the explorer in. We didn't, but she still managed to get it in the space. Lots of banging on the steering wheel screaming etc. so we waited for her to get out and asked her if she was OK. Funny to see her back down and 'oh it's, OK, really, no problem'...
Are you sure you are not still in AD - it sounds just like our school except substitute explorer for hummer. I find that the Brits are the worst and sorry to say this but you can spot the ones who have nothing at home as they have everything here.... many of the "happy" ones do not have much to go back to so live the high life here and I suppose you can't blame them as you only have one life. It really depends on you as an individual and sometimes I wake up in the morning and think they are right - it would be great to have the latest this and that and spend spend spend but having been in the region for various stints since the early 90's I am always cautious as things change so quickly here and it's only 4 weeks notice for most. I have to say that I have no problems with locals but I have noticed that the younger generation are a lot more arrogant so can understand the issues Scamp faces as he is nearer their age and is then seen as a competitor for the females!
Old May 8th 2011, 10:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE]lionheart
Originally Posted by kittycat1;9350422I've made a great circle of friends here and one of the things I really like here is that everyone is a bit more positive- [/QUOTE
Oih! wash your mouth out, please. Not everyone is a bit more positive.
Sorry everyone I have met apart from Lionheart....
Old May 8th 2011, 11:04 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by soukie
Are you sure you are not still in AD - it sounds just like our school except substitute explorer for hummer. I find that the Brits are the worst and sorry to say this but you can spot the ones who have nothing at home as they have everything here.... many of the "happy" ones do not have much to go back to so live the high life here and I suppose you can't blame them as you only have one life. It really depends on you as an individual and sometimes I wake up in the morning and think they are right - it would be great to have the latest this and that and spend spend spend but having been in the region for various stints since the early 90's I am always cautious as things change so quickly here and it's only 4 weeks notice for most. I have to say that I have no problems with locals but I have noticed that the younger generation are a lot more arrogant so can understand the issues Scamp faces as he is nearer their age and is then seen as a competitor for the females!
I agree with the above , it can be difficult living with looking over your shoulder but it makes you sharp . Companies basically care nothing for you as most of us are a high cost burden to their payroll .

I also never have anything i can't leave if i got a months notice and i never have debt in this part of the world , it's a fatal mistake if you find yourself on the wrong side of the tracks.

Preconceptions of people are a funny thing , i once met the nastiest most obnoxious Lebanese guy at a contractors meeting in Dubai around 5 years ago . If i could have got across the table at him i think i would have bit a hole in his nose.

The same guy was best man at my wedding a few years ago , it just goes to show you that there's always something that you get wrong.

Last edited by co durham boy; May 8th 2011 at 11:06 am.
Old May 8th 2011, 5:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MataHari
you know, it's almost like there must be something wrong with you if you are having an ok time here in Dubai, you must either be a rich spoiled housewife, or be really thick or a loser who couldn't make it back home and therefore reinvented themselves here...
I know a lot of perfectly normal people/families, that live fairly normal lives here, the men go to work, the kids go to school and the wifes either work or don't (is that really relevant), they come home, have dinner, watch a bit of telly, spend an hour on the computer, go to the gym whatever and go to bed...in the weekend they will do a bit of shopping, have a bbq with friends, go to the beach, go to the movies etc...nothing weird or wacky, but they enjoy their lives, the fact that they don't have to wash their cars, that they can afford a maid, that they can afford a nicer car than they would have back home etc...really can't see a problem with it all.
that's my life summed up nicely - it's some of the people I meet through work that grind me down. Had a meeting with an oustanding arsehole this afternoon, a new low after 8 years.... be back tomorrow for more though
Old May 12th 2011, 5:22 am
Forum Regular

Dumyat is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by soukie
I think the differences in peoples perceptions on Dubai are based a lot on how long you've been here. Anything over 3-5 years and you've pretty much decided that Dubai is a good fit. I've met quite a lot of people who have been here for 10, 15 even 25 years and they talk about 'the lifestyle' a lot.

I've been here for 2.5 years but only see a terrific sameness about the place - the malls, the hotels, the apartment blocks, the weekend routine etc. I'm not moaning about it, I'm only saying that within the next 6 months I will be heading home as staying longer would make it harder to leave, because it is clearly very easy to get trapped here where life chugs along a bit like groundhog day. It just never feels like a real city to me.
Old May 12th 2011, 5:32 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

There are some nuggets in the National today - its morph into Gulf News is nearly complete.

Burj suicide case was grieving brother and not in dispute with company over holiday time (although both possibly linked)

http://www.thenational.ae/news/uae-n...r-dead-brother

Yank to get 5 years for stealing hand cuffs from police station

http://www.thenational.ae/news/uae-n...lice-handcuffs

and

couple arrested for having sex in blacked out car behind MoE. A 20 year old Ruskie lady and a 34 year old Iraqi - they are in love and will marry

http://www.thenational.ae/news/uae-n...rosecutors-say
Old May 12th 2011, 6:05 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dumyat
I think the differences in peoples perceptions on Dubai are based a lot on how long you've been here. Anything over 3-5 years and you've pretty much decided that Dubai is a good fit. I've met quite a lot of people who have been here for 10, 15 even 25 years and they talk about 'the lifestyle' a lot.

I've been here for 2.5 years but only see a terrific sameness about the place - the malls, the hotels, the apartment blocks, the weekend routine etc. I'm not moaning about it, I'm only saying that within the next 6 months I will be heading home as staying longer would make it harder to leave, because it is clearly very easy to get trapped here where life chugs along a bit like groundhog day. It just never feels like a real city to me.
Have you considered that those who have been here longer have discovered things other than apartment blocks and shopping malls? That some of us live genuine rounded lives? There are numerous independent shops of all kinds and there is little need to go to any mall if you don't want to. The lifestyle is what you make it. If all people see is the shiny buildings then that is their loss. There is loads more to Dubai, but you do have to make the effort to find it.

I've been thinking about it and one of the things I dislike is people who don't make any effort with others on the premise they won't be here long so they can just take advantage and leave. I'm tired of those who just skim the surface of life.

Last edited by Meow; May 12th 2011 at 6:11 am.
Old May 12th 2011, 6:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Mogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to all

There was someone on the radio talking about this new website where people upload videos about things to see and do in Dubai....not looked yet, but might be quite good.

www.mydubaimycity.com