The change in Dubai

Old May 8th 2011, 7:48 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: The change in Dubai

Originally Posted by MataHari
no...this is not directed at you...hence I didn't quote your post.

it's what seems to me to be the way the people that don't like it here categorise the people that do like it here in...

read it again...I am saying that I know lots of people here that do have an ok time...and I am one of them and I don't really like to feel like I am stupid/spoiled/thick etc because of that...
Sorry. I'm with you now.

I'm enjoying it here without doubt. I find these things annoying but it's still a decent place to be and have some fun whilst saving cash
Old May 8th 2011, 7:51 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

you know, it's almost like there must be something wrong with you if you are having an ok time here in Dubai, you must either be a rich spoiled housewife, or be really thick or a loser who couldn't make it back home and therefore reinvented themselves here...
I know a lot of perfectly normal people/families, that live fairly normal lives here, the men go to work, the kids go to school and the wifes either work or don't (is that really relevant), they come home, have dinner, watch a bit of telly, spend an hour on the computer, go to the gym whatever and go to bed...in the weekend they will do a bit of shopping, have a bbq with friends, go to the beach, go to the movies etc...nothing weird or wacky, but they enjoy their lives, the fact that they don't have to wash their cars, that they can afford a maid, that they can afford a nicer car than they would have back home etc...really can't see a problem with it all.
I think most people live like that and lead normal steady lives , the main difference in this part of the world is that you basically have to ostracize yourself from certain situations and you need to plan even the minutest task because it will inevitably turn bad if you don't , after a lot of years that can become weary and tiresome to say the least .

We will all return to base eventually , that's one thing that is nailed on . How some people will cope with washing their own car and filling their own petrol remains to be seen....
Old May 8th 2011, 7:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

you know, it's almost like there must be something wrong with you if you are having an ok time here in Dubai, you must either be a rich spoiled housewife, or be really thick or a loser who couldn't make it back home and therefore reinvented themselves here...
I know a lot of perfectly normal people/families, that live fairly normal lives here, the men go to work, the kids go to school and the wifes either work or don't (is that really relevant), they come home, have dinner, watch a bit of telly, spend an hour on the computer, go to the gym whatever and go to bed...in the weekend they will do a bit of shopping, have a bbq with friends, go to the beach, go to the movies etc...nothing weird or wacky, but they enjoy their lives, the fact that they don't have to wash their cars, that they can afford a maid, that they can afford a nicer car than they would have back home etc...really can't see a problem with it all.
I wash my own cars. Did them both this weekend.

I find that the maid dusting them every day just isn't enough.
Old May 8th 2011, 8:04 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Millhouse
I wash my own cars. Did them both this weekend.

I find that the maid dusting them every day just isn't enough.
Would you believe I had to come home to an un-made bed yesterday?
Old May 8th 2011, 8:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Would you believe I had to come home to an un-made bed yesterday?
nothing wrong with that as long as the maid was in it waiting for you.
Old May 8th 2011, 8:16 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Millhouse
nothing wrong with that as long as the maid was in it waiting for you.
you've not seen her.
Old May 8th 2011, 8:40 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with you MH. My friends and I live pretty normal lives really. We all work hard, sometimes play hard too and we try and look at the positives of livig in the UAE, of which there are quite a few. I see nothing wrong with paying for help, provided you treat everyone well.

Everywhere has its fair share of wankers (I worked in London for 12 years and there's plenty of them there), but we all do like to have a moan, don't we.
Old May 8th 2011, 8:50 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

It does say quite a bit, doesn't it?

That as long as life is comfortable and generally secure, then who/what/where the powers that be really doesn't matter. Democracy, dictatorship, oligarchy, none of that really matters. Injustice doesn't matter. Corruption doesn't matter.

That's what I've learned from the UAE. Very, very few of us are actually willing to stand up for many of the principles we supposedly grew up with in the West. But it doesn't make us worse than the folks back home. Replace Parliament or Congress with a despot and as long as the quality of living remained the same and life feels secure enough, few would protest.
Old May 8th 2011, 8:56 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ethos83
It does say quite a bit, doesn't it?

That as long as life is comfortable and generally secure, then who/what/where the powers that be really doesn't matter. Democracy, dictatorship, oligarchy, none of that really matters. Injustice doesn't matter. Corruption doesn't matter.

That's what I've learned from the UAE. Very, very few of us are actually willing to stand up for many of the principles we supposedly grew up with in the West. But it doesn't make us worse than the folks back home. Replace Parliament or Congress with a despot and as long as the quality of living remained the same and life feels secure enough, few would protest.
I don't think anyone here really thinks that these things don't matter. There are also many expats who are involved in making things better for those that suffer. They just don't feel the need to shout about it.
Old May 8th 2011, 9:00 am
BE Forum Addict

al dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
I don't think anyone here really thinks that these things don't matter. There are also many expats who are involved in making things better for those that suffer. They just don't feel the need to shout about it.
Perhaps, but they possibly can't shout about it either as it needs to be kept under the radar in case it embarrasses the authorities. My opinion is that most people will dig deep when you have a fundraiser because of guilt at the cost of their OK lives.
Old May 8th 2011, 9:04 am
Bored liberal

Originally Posted by al dente
Perhaps, but they possibly can't shout about it either as it needs to be kept under the radar in case it embarrasses the authorities. My opinion is that most people will dig deep when you have a fundraiser because of guilt at the cost of their OK lives.
That's not such a bad thing. I think of it as a voluntary tax and good karma.

And there is no perhaps, many people are doing good things, although you are right in saying that in some caes you do have to be careful. Having been threatened myself, I am careful, but it doesn't mean you need to leave your conscience on the plane.

You can also make this country a better place by your daily actions.
Old May 8th 2011, 9:07 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

where as teenagers in the UK are all very well behaved and will never make you feel uncomfortable...

you've only been here a few weeks and already you 'hate the locals'...how does that happen....I've been here 6,5 years, and yes, there are wankers around of course, but of every nationality surely...the other day I totally accidentally brushed the bag of a lovely British woman while trying to push my trolley past her in a narrow bit at the veg and fruit at Spinneys and she went completely mad at me, up to the point where she went and brought her husband over to me, lol...and I am not making this up! I honestly have never had a bad run in with a local, and it's not like I am not dealing with them or that I never go outside, neither do I think I walk around with rose coloured glasses. I just go about my business, just as I would anywhere else.

yes, it's not all glitter and glamour here, if people come here thinking it is, they get disappointed....you will face problems here, just like anywhere else in the world, maybe/probably they will be a different kind of problems, but still....there is no paradise as far as I am concerned.

Not saying it doesn't concern me when locals use their power to get their way, cause it does, also cause I have teenage kids here, and I keep my fingers crossed that they stay out of trouble...
I believe you - I have had similar experiences....last week a charming English "lady" decided to try an argue with me in her car because I would not reverse to accommodate her decision to drive the wrong way down a one way street. The young “ladies” in the 5 start hotel bar last month who felt it was quite acceptable to walk past and take the bread off our table and even help themselves to a chair when my girlfriend went to the bathroom were also shining examples of how British manners are alive and well.

I actually despise Brits like this because they don’t have the excuse that say the locals do of being one step out of the desert and coming from a culture of arrogance, tribalism and under achievement (yes even people from Luton can't use this an excuse )

We have no sense of national shame or pride anymore though so I suppose the rise of the chavs is inevitable.

N.
Old May 8th 2011, 9:11 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
I believe you - I have had similar experiences....last week a charming English "lady" decided to try an argue with me in her car because I would not reverse to accommodate her decision to drive the wrong way down a one way street. The young “ladies” in the 5 start hotel bar last month who felt it was quite acceptable to walk past and take the bread off our table and even help themselves to a chair when my girlfriend went to the bathroom were also shining examples of how British manners are alive and well.

I actually despise Brits like this because they don’t have the excuse that say the locals do of being one step out of the desert and coming from a culture of arrogance, tribalism and under achievement (yes even people from Luton can't use this an excuse )

We have no sense of national shame or pride anymore though so I suppose the rise of the chavs is inevitable.

N.
You've spent too much time in places like Luton.

Go to Salisbury. Scumbag to good kids ratio is extremely good. I'm on the cusp of being included in what's labelled as the 'hoodie generation', and I can assure you that not all teens and young adults are chavs or lacking in any national pride.
Old May 8th 2011, 9:14 am
BE Forum Addict

al dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond repute

You just reminded me about a mzungu who went mad because i had let 5 cars out and traffic was building up behind me onto the main road, so decided to take my turn and move forward. She went Apeshit! I couldn't believe it as i thought she was actually waving me through and was waving my thanks to her before i realised she was having the tanty of tantrums.

It infuriates me that people go to the LCD of behaviour, as the moral highground gets lost!
Old May 8th 2011, 9:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
I believe you - I have had similar experiences....last week a charming English "lady" decided to try an argue with me in her car because I would not reverse to accommodate her decision to drive the wrong way down a one way street.
I didn't realise that you had met my wife

If you want to see something really interesting watch how the women interact with each other in a school car park where the cars are a bit too big and the spaces a bit too small. I love doing the school run just for this. It's like some kind of ****ed up social experiment.

The best one was the 'lady' going nuts as us as she wanted us to pull forward into the road so she could get the explorer in. We didn't, but she still managed to get it in the space. Lots of banging on the steering wheel screaming etc. so we waited for her to get out and asked her if she was OK. Funny to see her back down and 'oh it's, OK, really, no problem'...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.