Car impounding

Old Nov 12th 2018, 5:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Car impounding

Hello

I may have ran a red light and got flashed last night - it was that or get rear ended by a truck.

I've read online that this is 1000dh, 12 black points and 30 days impounding. I'm fairly OK with all of that given that I did this in the wife's car but I would like to know what the process is for impounding... do I have to take it in or is this something that just gets done during the registration process?
Old Nov 12th 2018, 5:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car impounding

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Hello

I may have ran a red light and got flashed last night - it was that or get rear ended by a truck.

I've read online that this is 1000dh, 12 black points and 30 days impounding. I'm fairly OK with all of that given that I did this in the wife's car but I would like to know what the process is for impounding... do I have to take it in or is this something that just gets done during the registration process?
I was able to leave it to registration time a few years ago (I actually phoned and asked them to make sure I wouldn't get into any problems. I was 2 x 1000DHS + 2 x 12 Black Points. So car away for 60 days and my driving license for 90. Same stretch of road, 72 hours apart and totally unaware the limit had been dropped!
Old Nov 12th 2018, 5:55 am
BE Enthusiast

archie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to behold

In Abu Dhabi (no idea whether it is the same in Dubai) one can ask to pay a fine in lieu of being impounded. A colleague did this a year or so ago - they checked his record, saw that it was a first offence for jumping lights, and allowed him this option. I think he had to ask first, however - they did not automatically offer it, and I don't know if they'd allow it for a second offence. If I remember, the fine was maybe a couple of thousand AED - I do recall it seemed pretty good value compared to a month's use of taxis.
Old Nov 12th 2018, 7:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Perfect - thank you. I'll wait for the SMS!

I've read you can now have it impounded at home, that seems like a decent option. I assume I can hire a car while it's impounded.
Old Nov 12th 2018, 8:41 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Hello

The Mrs did this, it was only 15 days impounding - maybe it's increased.

150dhs a day to not have it impounded, can't remember how we paid it if I'm honest. Might have been at registration or might have been part of the payment online when fines come through.

She wanted to pay because she'd read horror stories online about cars getting fines when impounded and the police just saying 'tough'.

Perfect - thank you. I'll wait for the SMS!

I've read you can now have it impounded at home, that seems like a decent option. I assume I can hire a car while it's impounded.
Impounded at home sounds perfect.