Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

This cannot be hidden in a Jimmy Savile thread

This cannot be hidden in a Jimmy Savile thread

Old Nov 2nd 2012, 11:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default This cannot be hidden in a Jimmy Savile thread

This is an extraordinary article - and not at all pleasant.......... powerful and compelling stuff............

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/culture...talking-about/
Old Nov 2nd 2012, 11:44 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: This cannot be hidden in a Jimmy Savile thread

Originally Posted by The Dean View Post
This is an extraordinary article - and not at all pleasant.......... powerful and compelling stuff............ http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/culture...talking-about/
Hardly many shocking revelations there. Haven't alot of us been abused or molested in some way or another during our childhood?
Old Nov 2nd 2012, 2:40 pm
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mentalist View Post
Hardly many shocking revelations there. Haven't alot of us been abused or molested in some way or another during our childhood?
Thankfully, no.
Old Nov 2nd 2012, 3:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Beakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to behold

At the cost of repeating myself in another thread, figures in the Western world suggest 1 in 4 girls, and 1 in 20 boys will have been molested in some way before adulthood.

Yes, the 'culture of celebrity' needs to die in our society. That is prominent on peoples minds right now. But underlying this is human behaviour in society (and figures suggest other, non-Western societies have similar figures)

Esther Ranzen kicked off the major campaigns to be watchful. In my view probably due to what she observed in celebrity circles. But this problem was always there, and may always be there.

Without becoming hysterical, and causing knee jerk reactions to surface, we need to ensure education of the subject is disseminated without ruining our childrens innocence.
Old Nov 2nd 2012, 4:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

I cannot believe Mentalist's dismissive response - I was trembling with anger as I read that. Very moving, and so brave to write it. I agree with Scamp - very few kids will have been through that. It wasn't just a bit of 'touching up'; that was something that would make my blood boil even if it had happened to an adult............

He draws some sensible conclusions and makes recommendations that would certainly improve matters. How dreadful that he had to go through that to get where he is now.
Old Nov 2nd 2012, 7:31 pm
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute

Did you read the article?

"When I was at school I was sexually abused. Let me clarify: I was serially raped when I was a child, between the ages of five and 10. At least one other teacher knew it was happening and even after voicing their concerns to the relevant authorities within the school, nothing was done and the horrors continued. "

Self-harm. Depression. Drug and alcohol abuse. Reparative surgery. OCD. Dissociation. Inability to maintain functional relationships. Marital breakdowns. Being forcefully institutionalised. Hallucinations (auditory and visual). Hypervigilance. PTSD. Sexual shame and confusion. Anorexia and other eating disorders. These are just a few of my symptoms (for want of a better word) of chronic sexual abuse. They have all been a part of my life in the very recent past and the abuse I went through was 30 years ago.

If you don't call that shocking - what do you?
Old Nov 3rd 2012, 3:31 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Being anally raped at the age of 5yrs old is hardly normal nor routine, thankfully.
Old Nov 3rd 2012, 3:54 pm
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Idiot.
Old Nov 3rd 2012, 4:02 pm
Forum Regular

Vanya is just really niceVanya is just really niceVanya is just really niceVanya is just really niceVanya is just really niceVanya is just really niceVanya is just really niceVanya is just really niceVanya is just really nice

I think we have to define terms here. What is acceptable 'touching' in one culture would be considered inappropriate in another. For example in many cultures you are expected to kiss everyone whom you meet and make a fuss of their children. In other societies one must keep a distance at all times.
We recently had visiting teachers from the UK over here and they were not comfortable with the open affection shown.
Old Nov 3rd 2012, 4:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Are you from Afghanistan?
Old Nov 4th 2012, 4:56 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Not shocking? You're not shocked to read a tale of a child that was regularly raped? That sickens me.
Old Nov 4th 2012, 5:06 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow View Post
Not shocking? You're not shocked to read a tale of a child that was regularly raped? That sickens me.
agree it makes me feel sick to the core
Old Nov 4th 2012, 5:09 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat View Post
agree it makes me feel sick to the core
I'm sickened both by the story and an adult saying it isn't shocking.
Old Nov 4th 2012, 5:11 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow View Post
I'm sickened both by the story and an adult saying it isn't shocking.
I am wondering whether he has been a victim of sexual abuse and this is how he handles it? blocking it, hardened?
Old Nov 4th 2012, 5:12 am
Bored liberal

Originally Posted by Blue Cat View Post
I am wondering whether he has been a victim of sexual abuse and this is how he handles it? blocking it, hardened?
You're too nice sometimes...

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.