Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Buying/investing in UK as a UK Expat

Buying/investing in UK as a UK Expat

Old Dec 5th 2022, 3:31 pm
  #16  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Oct 2022
Location: UK/UAE/SAUDI
Posts: 33
Duoduo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Buying/investing in UK as a UK Expat

Originally Posted by Scamp
I'd far rather put my money on black or red than a paid 'adviser' in this region - at least the odds are (almost) 50/50 in that instance.
Yes the region is one thing and a big region it is. I’m working in Saudi though with regulatory approval and that’s a big shift in credibility. Listen if you can’t stand financial advisers irrespective of the background, I’m certainly not going to try and change that opinion. But like I said earlier, we’re not all the same.

1 bad accountant, lawyer, sparky, plumber etc I’m sure doesn’t give you the same opinion. Other industries deserve respect too.

Duoduo is offline  
Old Dec 9th 2022, 10:32 am
  #17  
BE Forum Addict
 
csdf's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Abu Dhabi
Posts: 1,171
csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying/investing in UK as a UK Expat

Originally Posted by Duoduo
Can you elaborate on point one in your capacity to give such advice? Excuse me for being direct, but unless your qualified, then you’ve no place to say such a thing.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with offshore regular or lump sum savings plans, it’s the adviser that recommends it, that you have to be comfortable with. I’ve been advising these and never had one issue. As long as the adviser takes into consideration of future plans, these are as good as a UK ISA, but without the £20k per year restriction.
I'm qualified to read T&Cs and see that these plans have egregious management expenses and uncompetitive lock-in periods.
Originally Posted by Duoduo
Why would someone not want to invest their offshore tax free income into a tax free investment. Its an absolute no brainier!

Completely agree - and this is entirely possible, at low cost with zero lock-in, by buying ETFs or funds through an offshore broker.


Last edited by csdf; Dec 9th 2022 at 10:37 am.
csdf is offline  
Old Dec 9th 2022, 11:30 am
  #18  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Oct 2022
Location: UK/UAE/SAUDI
Posts: 33
Duoduo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Buying/investing in UK as a UK Expat

[QUOTE=csdf;13159313]I'm qualified to read T&Cs and see that these plans have egregious management expenses and uncompetitive lock-in periods.

Your not familiar with the new adviser charging model that's now available in the Middle East? The way advisers are paid is now in line with the same as the UK, commission based is still available too, but investors can choose which model suits them better.

I enjoy these objections, because I think I can educate others with the actual correct information.

I don't disagree that ETF's are a very efficient low cost model of investing, but you need to know what your doing and I very much doubt the majority unless qualified will. Whilst most are busy doing the jobs they are qualified to be doing, the markers are also working. So at what point during your busy working day are you meant to switch off, update yourself on the market and know what funds to switch into?

People might have no issue changing a plug socket or even a light fitting, but would you feel comfortable rewiring your home or get a professional in to do it? Your money your risk, I prefer to pay specialists that know what their doing that rather to try and wing it on the cheap.

Each to their own though.
Duoduo is offline  
Old Dec 9th 2022, 12:45 pm
  #19  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 0
scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: Buying/investing in UK as a UK Expat

[QUOTE=Duoduo;13159319]
Originally Posted by csdf
I'm qualified to read T&Cs and see that these plans have egregious management expenses and uncompetitive lock-in periods.

Your not familiar with the new adviser charging model that's now available in the Middle East? The way advisers are paid is now in line with the same as the UK, commission based is still available too, but investors can choose which model suits them better.

I enjoy these objections, because I think I can educate others with the actual correct information.

I don't disagree that ETF's are a very efficient low cost model of investing, but you need to know what your doing and I very much doubt the majority unless qualified will. Whilst most are busy doing the jobs they are qualified to be doing, the markers are also working. So at what point during your busy working day are you meant to switch off, update yourself on the market and know what funds to switch into?

People might have no issue changing a plug socket or even a light fitting, but would you feel comfortable rewiring your home or get a professional in to do it? Your money your risk, I prefer to pay specialists that know what their doing that rather to try and wing it on the cheap.

Each to their own though.
Problem with finance 'professionals' in this part of the world, is that most aren't. They're decent sales people, not money makers for others.

The other problem, in general, with investment advice is it's typically like the above, fear driven and rear-facing. You're too busy to keep doing things, whereas the reality, it's 15 minutes a month to plop it in and buy what's needed and an hour or two every year to rebalance.

I'm sure my Mother's FA spends at least 10 mins telling his assistant which colour bars to use in Excel to show the minimal growth (before fees deducted) for him doing the exact same thing.
scrubbedexpat141 is offline  
Old Dec 9th 2022, 12:59 pm
  #20  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Oct 2022
Location: UK/UAE/SAUDI
Posts: 33
Duoduo is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Buying/investing in UK as a UK Expat

[QUOTE=Scamp;13159326]
Originally Posted by Duoduo

Problem with finance 'professionals' in this part of the world, is that most aren't. They're decent sales people, not money makers for others.

The other problem, in general, with investment advice is it's typically like the above, fear driven and rear-facing. You're too busy to keep doing things, whereas the reality, it's 15 minutes a month to plop it in and buy what's needed and an hour or two every year to rebalance.

I'm sure my Mother's FA spends at least 10 mins telling his assistant which colour bars to use in Excel to show the minimal growth (before fees deducted) for him doing the exact same thing.
Scamp you are very funny, if only it was that easy. I can assure you one thing, taking the approach you highlighted above will end in disappointment! I'm 4 months off 18 years in the industry and seen so many mistakes by self made investors in that time.

Your entitled to your opinion/views but you are so very wrong my forum friend. I just hope that other members aren't reading this thread and agree with your strategy for their own.

I do agree with the sales man comment though, this is why for any investor, they need to do their thorough due diligence on the adviser and their qualifications.

Have a lovely weekend...
Duoduo is offline  
Old Dec 9th 2022, 8:05 pm
  #21  
 
nonthaburi's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Buraydah , Saudi Arabia
Posts: 2,863
nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying/investing in UK as a UK Expat

Just joined.

Dishing out financial advice from the goodness of his 💓💓💓....😆😆😆
nonthaburi is offline  
Old Dec 12th 2022, 8:45 am
  #22  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 0
scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: Buying/investing in UK as a UK Expat

Originally Posted by Duoduo

Scamp you are very funny, if only it was that easy. I can assure you one thing, taking the approach you highlighted above will end in disappointment! I'm 4 months off 18 years in the industry and seen so many mistakes by self made investors in that time.

Your entitled to your opinion/views but you are so very wrong my forum friend. I just hope that other members aren't reading this thread and agree with your strategy for their own.

I do agree with the sales man comment though, this is why for any investor, they need to do their thorough due diligence on the adviser and their qualifications.

Have a lovely weekend...
Thanks, I'm not trying to be funny though, just hoping that any new person to the world of NEOM doesn't get lured in by the unscrupulous financial product sellers this part of the world allows to thrive.

Whether you're included in that lot or not is largely irrelevant, as a community, these forums are here to help people. I'm sure when I first arrived to the region I was warned off the likes of DeV / G.Eye (etc) and it's only right to keep passing that information on.
scrubbedexpat141 is offline  
Old Dec 12th 2022, 9:22 am
  #23  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Oct 2022
Location: UK/UAE/SAUDI
Posts: 33
Duoduo is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Buying/investing in UK as a UK Expat

Originally Posted by Scamp
Thanks, I'm not trying to be funny though, just hoping that any new person to the world of NEOM doesn't get lured in by the unscrupulous financial product sellers this part of the world allows to thrive.

Whether you're included in that lot or not is largely irrelevant, as a community, these forums are here to help people. I'm sure when I first arrived to the region I was warned off the likes of DeV / G.Eye (etc) and it's only right to keep passing that information on.
No issue with that, I'm the voice of the ones who don't fit that model. Like I've said before, not all FA's are the same, there are also some very good ones in the ME. Rather than continually bash, why don't you mention to others too look for advisers who work on fee and commission basis, that way the client has a choice on how the adviser is remunerated. You'll find the best advisers will be the ones who offer a fee based service, just like in the UK. Absolutely no commission bias then.

Please take something from what I'm saying, you have every right to be more than disappointed if someone has done you wrong, but the industry although slow, is moving in a positive way offshore.
Duoduo is offline  
Old Dec 12th 2022, 10:01 am
  #24  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 0
scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: Buying/investing in UK as a UK Expat

Originally Posted by Duoduo
No issue with that, I'm the voice of the ones who don't fit that model. Like I've said before, not all FA's are the same, there are also some very good ones in the ME. Rather than continually bash, why don't you mention to others too look for advisers who work on fee and commission basis, that way the client has a choice on how the adviser is remunerated. You'll find the best advisers will be the ones who offer a fee based service, just like in the UK. Absolutely no commission bias then.

Please take something from what I'm saying, you have every right to be more than disappointed if someone has done you wrong, but the industry although slow, is moving in a positive way offshore.
I'm afraid I wouldn't recommend anything or anyone I don't believe in. I'd recommend people a book and to avoid wasting money.

Call it a fee, call it commission or even confuse the two and combine them, it's not sounding revolutionary.
scrubbedexpat141 is offline  
Old Dec 12th 2022, 10:51 am
  #25  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Oct 2022
Location: UK/UAE/SAUDI
Posts: 33
Duoduo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Buying/investing in UK as a UK Expat

Originally Posted by Scamp
I'm afraid I wouldn't recommend anything or anyone I don't believe in. I'd recommend people a book and to avoid wasting money.

Call it a fee, call it commission or even confuse the two and combine them, it's not sounding revolutionary.
Fee based financial planning takes any doubt out of provider bias, the onus is on the adviser. Remember, there's no commission lock in or unscrupulous exit fees on fee based advice. It's most definitely progress in the right direction.

An investor has he ability to switch off the ongoing advice fee, should they feel it's not value for money, like yourself.
Duoduo is offline  
Old Dec 16th 2022, 2:38 pm
  #26  
 
Pulaski's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2001
Location: Dixie, ex UK
Posts: 52,434
Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying/investing in UK as a UK Expat

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
.... There's an infamous well known company that is blocked on this forum after an endless stream of bad reviews. They are authorised in lots of countries, but apparently still utterly appalling. .....
You're being too generous. I will have to put it down to your Christmas spirit, good will to all men and wotnot.

I was called a couple of times by them - the upfront "advice" was not just misleading, it was incorrect. Luckily I was a lot better informed that the salesman thought I was, as his recommendation would have left me paying fees to his firm so that I would avoid taxes that I am not actually facing. I threatened to report the salesman to his Compliance Officer, and I never heard from him again!
Pulaski is offline  
Old Feb 6th 2023, 7:06 pm
  #27  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jan 2023
Location: London
Posts: 19
Dxbstu387 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Buying/investing in UK as a UK Expat

Originally Posted by Scamp
Thanks, I'm not trying to be funny though, just hoping that any new person to the world of NEOM doesn't get lured in by the unscrupulous financial product sellers this part of the world allows to thrive.

Whether you're included in that lot or not is largely irrelevant, as a community, these forums are here to help people. I'm sure when I first arrived to the region I was warned off the likes of DeV / G.Eye (etc) and it's only right to keep passing that information on.
I can vouch for G.Eye/TS being one of the worst decisions my family ever made. As Scamp has already said, read Expat Millionaire, I wish I did all those years ago.
Dxbstu387 is offline  
Old Sep 14th 2023, 10:56 am
  #28  
Bored liberal
 
Meow's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Over there ----->
Posts: 13,713
Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying/investing in UK as a UK Expat

Originally Posted by Duoduo
Can you elaborate on point one in your capacity to give such advice? Excuse me for being direct, but unless your qualified, then you’ve no place to say such a thing.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with offshore regular or lump sum savings plans, it’s the adviser that recommends it, that you have to be comfortable with. I’ve been advising these and never had one issue. As long as the adviser takes into consideration of future plans, these are as good as a UK ISA, but without the £20k per year restriction.
Commenting as a well qualified and experienced adviser, this is not true. Offshore regular savinsg plans are nothing like an ISA in any way. They are expensive, limited in fund options, and not tax-efficient. They pay HUGE amounts of commissions to sales people.

Expats can invest via offshore platforms without exit penalties, with great fund choices, and with full transparency in terms of charges and adviser fees. They just need to speak with a real adviser, not salespeople. Vastly different.
Meow is offline  
Old Sep 14th 2023, 2:27 pm
  #29  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Oct 2022
Location: UK/UAE/SAUDI
Posts: 33
Duoduo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Buying/investing in UK as a UK Expat

Originally Posted by Meow
Commenting as a well qualified and experienced adviser, this is not true. Offshore regular savinsg plans are nothing like an ISA in any way. They are expensive, limited in fund options, and not tax-efficient. They pay HUGE amounts of commissions to sales people.

Expats can invest via offshore platforms without exit penalties, with great fund choices, and with full transparency in terms of charges and adviser fees. They just need to speak with a real adviser, not salespeople. Vastly different.
It was platforms that I was referring too and not the commission based products from the likes of RL360/Zurich etc.
Duoduo is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.