Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Budget 2013: Who are the losers

Budget 2013: Who are the losers

Old Mar 16th 2013, 10:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Budget 2013: Who are the losers

OOO that's controversial Beaker!

On one hand I agree with you, I also think moving away from your family has a big impact on this, we lived with my grandparents when I was a kid, so they would do the childcare when my parents were working. But with people having kids in their 30s rather than their 20s also means this is harder as the grandparents are not as physically able in their 70's or 80's as they were in their 60's.

I would question if most families be able to survive on one salary? Buying a house would be nigh on impossible for most.

I do think you have a point though but not sure how that works in real life.
Old Mar 16th 2013, 10:28 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beakersful
Now, call me old fashioned, but I think there should be one earner in a family and the second adult should raise the kids, manage the household, etc.

Latchkey kids and break down in society are symptoms of both parents working to afford to manage a family. And if we can free up a lot of jobs, then unemployment, wage imbalances (gender) and other assorted problems gets pretty much wiped out surely?

ps. what's a multiple family household? If we have more than one wife do we lose less?
Multiple family, more than one family living in the house, as to the rest of your post, how quaint and old fashioned, there I called you that..
Old Mar 16th 2013, 10:32 am
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kix
A 5% loss on a few hundred quid a week (most of which is benefits) is nothing, maybe a tenner. OK, stop smoking fags then!
Smoking is on the decline in the UK.

A few hundred quid a week is also a somewhat optimistic view of what you can get on benefits, particularly if you don't have kids...

(Of course, most people on benefits are also in work.)
Old Mar 16th 2013, 10:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Beakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by kittycat1
OOO that's controversial Beaker!
But....I didn't say what gender should remain in the home, did I?

I'm all up for being a house husband, if my missus earned more than me, or if we could survive on just her wages. Think of the children!!! (I have to admit, daytime tv would have to severely change its format though)
Old Mar 16th 2013, 10:42 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beakersful
But....I didn't say what gender should remain in the home, did I?

I'm all up for being a house husband, if my missus earned more than me, or if we could survive on just her wages. Think of the children!!! (I have to admit, daytime tv would have to severely change its format though)
Two big 'if's' in there though. I do know of several families where the man is a house husband, mainly because he can't get a job, only a few do it through choice.
Old Mar 16th 2013, 10:43 am
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by typical
Smoking is on the decline in the UK.

A few hundred quid a week is also a somewhat optimistic view of what you can get on benefits, particularly if you don't have kids...

(Of course, most people on benefits are also in work.)
If I was PM/King/Hitler, I'd stop ALL benefits to everyone.

If they want money they should earn it.

I'd get rid of all council housing and the NHS.
Old Mar 16th 2013, 10:46 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by Kix

I just thank god you aren't then. Just as a f'rinstance, how would you create the 2.5 million jobs? If you can't answer that question, stop posting such stupid drivel, and how would you increase everyones wages so they could pay for their healthcare.
Old Mar 16th 2013, 11:00 am
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Originally Posted by mikelincs
I just thank god you aren't then. Just as a f'rinstance, how would you create the 2.5 million jobs? If you can't answer that question, stop posting such stupid drivel, and how would you increase everyones wages so they could pay for their healthcare.
Why would I have to increase their wages to pay for their healthcare? I wouldn't be taking the tax of them at source.
Old Mar 16th 2013, 11:13 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by Kix
Why would I have to increase their wages to pay for their healthcare? I wouldn't be taking the tax of them at source.
So no PAYE, a nice reversion to an older system, or is this the way to create the jobs, thousand more civil servants needed to process the tax returns, and to deal with all the queries that will arise. You really are beginning to sound like a troll over this. Therefore I'm out of this thread, and you are now on ignore.
Old Mar 16th 2013, 11:19 am
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Originally Posted by mikelincs
So no PAYE, a nice reversion to an older system, or is this the way to create the jobs, thousand more civil servants needed to process the tax returns, and to deal with all the queries that will arise. You really are beginning to sound like a troll over this. Therefore I'm out of this thread, and you are now on ignore.
Oh thank you.

Civil servants are not proper jobs, they don't make or do things, all they do is pass bits of paper around.

How about think of a system where there is no tax (UAE), no civil servants and people have to make a difference in society to live.
Old Mar 16th 2013, 11:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Theseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kix
Oh thank you.

Civil servants are not proper jobs, they don't make or do things, all they do is pass bits of paper around.

How about think of a system where there is no tax (UAE), no civil servants and people have to make a difference in society to live.
China under Chairman Mao? - That's an awesome plan well done.
Old Mar 16th 2013, 11:29 am
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Originally Posted by Theseus
China under Chairman Mao? - That's an awesome plan well done.
Why not? Why have so many spongers? Why should I pay tax that is given to a pissed up drug addict who refuses to work, or a mother of 11 that demands a mansion cos of her offspring the father's of which she doesn't even know?

Tell me Theseus, WHY?
Old Mar 16th 2013, 11:33 am
BE Forum Addict

UKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond repute

I think that is a misconception. There is no personal or cap gains tax - but have a close look at your hotel receipt for starters
Old Mar 16th 2013, 11:42 am
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Originally Posted by UKCityGent
I think that is a misconception. There is no personal or cap gains tax - but have a close look at your hotel receipt for starters
I don't mind VAt (or municipality tax), it's the taking money off me before I spend it is the problem.

Let's say you don't get taxed at source, but DO get taxed on spend.

Surely that is fairer on everyone (tax dodgers aside), the more you spend, the more you pay tax.

Simplistic I know, but i am from Newcastle on Tyne.
Old Mar 16th 2013, 11:50 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kix

So you would rather have an American style healthcare system then!
And what's the problem with council housing. It serves a valuable purpose.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.