Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

British sports coaches are to stand trial in Dubai over the death of a five-year-old

British sports coaches are to stand trial in Dubai over the death of a five-year-old

Old Apr 25th 2016, 9:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British sports coaches are to stand trial in Dubai over the death of a five-year-

Originally Posted by iggle
What happens if all the H&S procedures are are in place, everyone one trained to the max, every rule / consequence was thought of and followed...you can't fail safe everything.
Then one would hope common sense prevails... and the directors are suitably insured.
Old Apr 25th 2016, 9:31 am
Banned

iggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British sports coaches are to stand trial in Dubai over the death of a five-year-

Is there a possibility of Capital Punishment for these two?
Old Apr 25th 2016, 9:54 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

What happens if all the H&S procedures are are in place, everyone one trained to the max, every rule / consequence was thought of and followed...you can't fail safe everything.
If every rule / consequence was thought of, then everything would be fine.

If all proper measures are taken, then the biggest risk becomes human failure (usually stupidity, which is difficult to legilsate for). Unless you're dealing with an event that is truly force majeure (meeting all four requirements of the "classical" deinfition), or human error, then there's always a cause which could have been prevented.
Old Apr 25th 2016, 10:05 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

The problem is that it's the UAE....

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
If every rule / consequence was thought of, then everything would be fine.

If all proper measures are taken, then the biggest risk becomes human failure (usually stupidity, which is difficult to legilsate for). Unless you're dealing with an event that is truly force majeure (meeting all four requirements of the "classical" deinfition), or human error, then there's always a cause which could have been prevented.
Old Apr 25th 2016, 10:07 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
The problem is that it's the UAE....
Only in the way consequences are dealt with. The approach to avoiding them should be the same, at least where there's western management.
Old Apr 25th 2016, 10:20 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

I feel quite ruthless.

I should have started or finished by saying it's a horrid tragedy and that I hope the family are supported in all ways expected.
Old Apr 25th 2016, 10:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

A friend of mine was the head of safely for a local contractor. A few times he had his passport held by police while on-site deaths were investigated. I have no idea how he slept at night.

Understandably, he was very very strict and thorough. Deaths still happened though.
Old Apr 25th 2016, 10:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Is there a possibility of Capital Punishment for these two?
I don't think so. Blood money may prevail.
Old Apr 25th 2016, 10:26 am
Hit 16's

Originally Posted by Millhouse
A friend of mine was the head of safely for a local contractor. A few times he had his passport held by police while on-site deaths were investigated. I have no idea how he slept at night.

Understandably, he was very very strict and thorough. Deaths still happened though.
I still find it unsettling in the UK that individual prosecutions are relatively rare. If people are paid to do a job in relation to which they know that people's lives are at risk if things aren't done properly, then failure to do that job and which failure results in someone's death should have commensurate consequences.
Old Apr 25th 2016, 3:49 pm
"Insert witty title here"

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute

It ofcourse is a terrible tragedy and I dont want to even think what the parents would be going through right now. Time as always is something you hate because in time this pain shall too pass and somehow you dont want it to pass....ever!
Anyway, I tend to agree with the comment above that IF you have the right personnel and IF they have had the proper training and IF all protocols are followed (most important in this case being not exceeding the number of bodies in the water at any one time by the already pre-set number) then there ought not to be a death of anyone. Water is an alien environment even for grown-ups, let alone little kids and should be respected as being a killer. Once you bring all your team members on board about them recognizing the high risk involved when bringing a non-swimmer into the water then and only then you can have a zero accident rate. It is like I saw this video of Rihanna or Lil Kim or some other large behinded woman doing a concert here in Dubai and mid-song she just walked up to her body guard who was busy browsing his smart phone and just chucked it and walked away. Niggah please! You have a job to do just for those 3-4 hours and focus at the job in hand.
I remember when I was very young a kid died in our pool, super cramped pool and only 2 body guards. Poor kid dove, hit his head and slid down to the deep end. Was found after it was too late. It was a Navy pool, so both the guards got court-martial and probably got lengthy jail terms but I still think that those poor buggers really weren't at fault as they were just too many kids in the pool. The safety guidlines were not followed thats all.
Old Apr 29th 2016, 10:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Sandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond repute

then this wouldn't have happened - somebody wasn't watching a 5 year old in a pool !

took me the best part of 10 years to get the message across that these things could be avoided, it wasn't Allah's will. One of my most devout lads turned his truck over and escaped completely unscathed because he was wearing his seatbelt, he became our #1 ambassador
Old Apr 29th 2016, 10:52 am
Hit 16's

Originally Posted by Sandboy
then this wouldn't have happened - somebody wasn't watching a 5 year old in a pool !

took me the best part of 10 years to get the message across that these things could be avoided, it wasn't Allah's will. One of my most devout lads turned his truck over and escaped completely unscathed because he was wearing his seatbelt, he became our #1 ambassador
I recall having a discussion with a local in a bar in AD, who reckoned he'd survived an accident becuase he wasn't wearing a seatbelt (admittedly it can happen). At that point you might as well give up.
Old Apr 30th 2016, 3:54 am
Banned

iggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
I recall having a discussion with a local in a bar in AD, who reckoned he'd survived an accident becuase he wasn't wearing a seatbelt (admittedly it can happen). At that point you might as well give up.
I can relate to him but i wouldn't be so brash as what he said. I had a car crash when i was younger, the seat belt bruised all my internal organs to the point i was intensive care because of the damaged caused by the seat belt.

Now I am not saying if I didn't wear one I would of walked out scotch free...I am not. I find driving without a seat belt very unsettling any way
Old Apr 30th 2016, 4:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

I can relate to him but i wouldn't be so brash as what he said. I had a car crash when i was younger, the seat belt bruised all my internal organs to the point i was intensive care because of the damaged caused by the seat belt.

Now I am not saying if I didn't wear one I would of walked out scotch free...I am not. I find driving without a seat belt very unsettling any way
No, you'd have probably ended up through the windscreen with the car on top of you and quickly in a black plastic bag zipped all the way to the top. My silly brother in law took his seatbelt off because he was feeling a bit queazy one morning and he never came home to my sister and three nieces again. His brother did manage to lift the car off him, and he crawled out, but unfortunately not just bruising to his internal organs, they were ripped to pieces and he bled out internally within a minute or two.
Old May 18th 2016, 3:41 pm
Just Joined

michelle_wilson26 is an unknown quantity at this point

I worked for this company so I know certain things. What I find amazing is why Active Sports owners are not being charged and how are they still running swimming classes? They should not be allowed to teach swimming.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.