Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

British Mum to Have Two Headed Baby

British Mum to Have Two Headed Baby

Old Jan 13th 2009, 10:11 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Mum to Have Two Headed Baby

Originally Posted by MataHari
maybe it's better not to know everything in advance...
my 3rd child had down syndrome, and she was the greatest girl ever, loved by everyone...if I had known in advance she might never have been born...unfortunately she died when she was 3, but I wouldn't have missed having her for the world...it completely changed my outlook on life, in a positive way I might add...
MH i am so sorry for mentioning DS especially given your circumstances which i was aware of.

Same with my family, nobody knew until birth, there was a large degree of initial shock, then normality takes over..

Would we carry on with a pregnancy knowing about DS.....jeesus that is a hard one.

Sometimes it is best just not knowing.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 10:13 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
raising 1 100% healthy child has nearly killed me hardest job ever
that's a bit of a strong statement...I am hardly the maternal type but I don't see how raising a kid that's only 5 years old can nearly kill you...
Old Jan 13th 2009, 10:16 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commander
MH i am so sorry for mentioning DS especially given your circumstances which i was aware of.

Same with my family, nobody knew until birth, there was a large degree of initial shock, then normality takes over..

Would we carry on with a pregnancy knowing about DS.....jeesus that is a hard one.

Sometimes it is best just not knowing.
no worries...I have no problem talking about it at all...

yeah...when I was pregnant with the 4th, I had the tests done...and until this day I couldn't tell you what I had done if the result would have shown another DS....thankfully I never had to make that decision....
Old Jan 13th 2009, 11:04 am
Forum Regular

Simao is just really niceSimao is just really niceSimao is just really niceSimao is just really niceSimao is just really niceSimao is just really niceSimao is just really niceSimao is just really niceSimao is just really nice

Why most people here look at raising kids as if it was a hard job or something? then why have the child at the first place if you're not gonna be happy with them?
And to Norm, do these kids deserve to die just because they're different than you? I honestly applaud the mom for this. Do you just want her to get rid of them just because of the inconvenience they might cause to your lifestyle?
Old Jan 13th 2009, 11:25 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by expat.brat
how did that relationship work, out of curiosity?
She was a perfect lip reader and seemed to prefer dating hearing guys than other deaf people. I remember being puzzled when I met her in a club as she was an excellent dancer but found out this was because when the music was loud as she moved to the vibrations she felt in her feet.

We didn't get serious or anything but she was definately one of nicer girls I dated in my mispent youth.

N.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 11:36 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commander
thats not really what you said to be fair..
For sure but it's what I meant.

N.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by Simao
Why most people here look at raising kids as if it was a hard job or something? then why have the child at the first place if you're not gonna be happy with them?
It IS a hard job...I went ahead and made a little 'un anyways. Best, hardest and most amazing thing I ever did.

And to Norm, do these kids deserve to die just because they're different than you? I honestly applaud the mom for this. Do you just want her to get rid of them just because of the inconvenience they might cause to your lifestyle?
I don't think anyone should die because they are different from me. I said a fetus should be aborted if it is malformed or abnormal. Big difference.

As for the mum. I don't applaud her at all and suspect she may be doing this to get money from the press etc and some erroneous belief that God wants her to have it. As for her choice to keep it...of course it doesn't affect my lifestyle - I don't even live in the same country as her.

I was simply giving my opinion. If was paying tax I might be affected though because I doubt the mother is paying for her own medical expenses and the cost of supporting the baby should it be born and survive into adulthood.

N.

Last edited by Norm_uk; Jan 13th 2009 at 11:52 am.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 12:09 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: British Mum to Have Two Headed Baby

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
I do see your point but the fact remains that weather stemming from genetic or environmental causes having two heads is not considered normal or healthy socially or physically..
Yes but if you lose your arm or suffer brain damage in a car crash you may never again be considered "normal". Your solution?...

What is normal any way? A great many exceptional people from the world of science and arts would not have been considered "normal" in body or mind yet produced yet made invaluable contributions inspite of, or perhaps because of their impairments.
Some people live long and fruitful lives in the face of severe disabilities they are born with, but given a choice if we know long before they were born of their condition it would be better to spare them unneeded suffering. Life is hard enough already for "normal" people and as medicine progresses we can detect problems before people are born so why not take advantage of that?
If you are talking about screening embryos or splicing in new genes then I'm inclined to agree. However terminating pregnancy purly due to a physical impairment when said embryo has a chance of living a fulfilling and productive life I think is a little immoral (totally IMO of course).

Mind you this happens of course, in China couples select boys and abort girls etc.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 12:59 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

maybe it's better not to know everything in advance...
my 3rd child had down syndrome, and she was the greatest girl ever, loved by everyone...if I had known in advance she might never have been born...unfortunately she died when she was 3, but I wouldn't have missed having her for the world...it completely changed my outlook on life, in a positive way I might add...
oh MH I am so sorry to hear this, it must have been awful
Old Jan 13th 2009, 1:00 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

that's a bit of a strong statement...I am hardly the maternal type but I don't see how raising a kid that's only 5 years old can nearly kill you...
it's my personal opinion, she has been alot of hard work and very demanding, I couldn't have managed without the support of friends that I have here.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 3:50 am
Forum Regular

Simao is just really niceSimao is just really niceSimao is just really niceSimao is just really niceSimao is just really niceSimao is just really niceSimao is just really niceSimao is just really niceSimao is just really nice

It IS a hard job...I went ahead and made a little 'un anyways. Best, hardest and most amazing thing I ever did.

I don't think anyone should die because they are different from me. I said a fetus should be aborted if it is malformed or abnormal. Big difference.

As for the mum. I don't applaud her at all and suspect she may be doing this to get money from the press etc and some erroneous belief that God wants her to have it. As for her choice to keep it...of course it doesn't affect my lifestyle - I don't even live in the same country as her.

I was simply giving my opinion. If was paying tax I might be affected though because I doubt the mother is paying for her own medical expenses and the cost of supporting the baby should it be born and survive into adulthood.

N.
I understand you got carried away. You're right it is a hard job but not at the sense of hard/dislike/not enjoyable.
As for the mom, why do you care if she decided to keep the baby anyway? like you said you're not living in the same country as her and as for the taxes thing, would you rather the government spend it on another war then? I don't mean to be sarcastic or anything but once you pay the taxes don't expect to get them back, that's what I think about it.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by Charismatic
Yes but if you lose your arm or suffer brain damage in a car crash you may never again be considered "normal". Your solution?...
Medical treatment would be my solution. I am not against medicine to help people who have been injured...

What is normal any way? A great many exceptional people from the world of science and arts would not have been considered "normal" in body or mind yet produced yet made invaluable contributions inspite of, or perhaps because of their impairments.
Agreed. I think I already mentioned Stephen Hawkins and there are plenty of others. Still doesn't change the fact that abnormal fetuses should not be carried to term in a vastly overpopulated world where resources will soon be at a premium...

If you are talking about screening embryos or splicing in new genes then I'm inclined to agree. However terminating pregnancy purly due to a physical impairment when said embryo has a chance of living a fulfilling and productive life I think is a little immoral (totally IMO of course).
I understand but I actually feel it is immoral to knowing bring a disabled child into the world given the world is vastly overpopulated to the point that we need GM foods, dangerous pesticides and rabbit hutch housing to ensure everyone get's fed.

Naturally if this child is born though and grows up it should be afforded the same rights as any other human being. Unfortunately for the bleeding heart liberals (sans capital "L") out there my "naziesque" thoughts on eugenics don't go far enough to counter my humanitarian stance towards people who are already alive

Mind you this happens of course, in China couples select boys and abort girls etc.
China's issue is not the one child policy but it's cultural and economic preference for boys and the availability of abortions for otherwise healthy children simply because they are female. It is mostly rural families who need men to work on farms and in labour intensive businesses that do this. A family of educated professionals would not likely care what gender their child is as it will be schooled and trained to do a job most men and women can do equally well. As China get's richer this preference will die down hopefully.

N.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 8:44 am

I understand you got carried away. You're right it is a hard job but not at the sense of hard/dislike/not enjoyable.
As for the mom, why do you care if she decided to keep the baby anyway? like you said you're not living in the same country as her and as for the taxes thing, would you rather the government spend it on another war then? I don't mean to be sarcastic or anything but once you pay the taxes don't expect to get them back, that's what I think about it.
I'd rather the government spend the money on upgrading infrastructure, policing and environmental protection than giving handouts to people that don't deserve them and thereby creating a culture of rewarding irresponsibility and laziness and punishing those with talent, drive and determination.

But that's just my opinion...

N.