Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Breast cancer in the middle east

Breast cancer in the middle east

Old Jan 4th 2010, 4:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Breast cancer in the middle east

Hi all,

Happy post time!

I was doing some research at work today and came across some very shocking and saddening info.

Did you know in the Middle East 28% of deaths in women are due to breast cancer. 44% of women diagnosed with breast cancer will die, 26% will have to have a double mastectomy.

Western women in the middle east are 30% more likely to develop breast cancer here than in their home countries due to their lifestyles.

So please ladies make sure you are checking yourselves and take care of yourselves! Exercise, eat healthily and if you notice anything unusual get yourself checked out immediately.

Anyone unsure of how to check their boobs should watch the video on this site- http://www.channel4embarrassingillne...your-breasts/# You should check yourself every month btw- if you haven't maybe this will remind you to.

End of depressing post!

KC
x
Old Jan 4th 2010, 4:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Breast cancer in the middle east

Originally Posted by kittycat1
Hi all,

Happy post time!

I was doing some research at work today and came across some very shocking and saddening info.

Did you know in the Middle East 28% of deaths in women are due to breast cancer. 44% of women diagnosed with breast cancer will die, 26% will have to have a double mastectomy.

Western women in the middle east are 30% more likely to develop breast cancer here than in their home countries due to their lifestyles.

So please ladies make sure you are checking yourselves and take care of yourselves! Exercise, eat healthily and if you notice anything unusual get yourself checked out immediately.

Anyone unsure of how to check their boobs should watch the video on this site- http://www.channel4embarrassingillne...your-breasts/# You should check yourself every month btw- if you haven't maybe this will remind you to.

End of depressing post!

KC
x
"...due to their lifestyles..."

Care to elaborate?
Old Jan 4th 2010, 4:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Happy post time!

End of depressing post!

KC
x
28% of deaths in women are from breast cancer? really?
I know that 1 in 3 die from cancer these days....but cancer covers a lot of different cancers.....don't mean to quibble but is it really 28% for bung boobs.
Old Jan 4th 2010, 4:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Ok apart from the family history thing lifestyle choices that make you higher risk are;

NOT having children
Having children later in life
Not breast feeding
Lack of exercise
Using the pill
Drinking alcohol regularly- ie daily
Being overweight and a high level of fat in your diet
White women are also in a higher risk group than black women

Any one of these factors puts you in the higher risk group. 1 in 9 women will develop breast cancer- I'm sure there are more than 9 women on this forum...

I know I tick a few of these boxes- did when I was in London as well so was a lifestyle choice there as well as here and I'm sure someone will say but I don't do that or this etc, however every woman should be checking herself- my cousin died from breast cancer at the age of 31- after 10 years battling it- she'd had a double mastectomy and raised over half a million for breast cancer awareness, but eventually it got the better of her. More or less her whole adult life was spent fighting this disease and its heartbreaking to think that in this region women aren't educated about it and that there is still a stigma to go and get yourself checked out.

If you are over 40 you should be going for a mammogram every couple of years.

(men also get breast cancer btw but is more common in women obviously)

x
Old Jan 4th 2010, 4:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yes it really is 28% for breast cancer here! it is the 5th biggest killer in the UK.
Old Jan 4th 2010, 4:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Ok apart from the family history thing lifestyle choices that make you higher risk are;

NOT having children
Not breast feeding
Lack of exercise
Using the pill

Any one of these factors puts you in the higher risk group. 1 in 9 women will develop breast cancer- I'm sure there are more than 9 women on this forum...

I know I tick a few of these boxes- did when I was in London as well so was a lifestyle choice there as well as here and I'm sure someone will say but I don't do that or this etc, however every woman should be checking herself- my cousin died from breast cancer at the age of 31- after 10 years battling it- she'd had a double mastectomy and raised over half a million for breast cancer awareness, but eventually it got the better of her. More or less her whole adult life was spent fighting this disease and its heartbreaking to think that in this region women aren't educated about it and that there is still a stigma to go and get yourself checked out.

x
so 1 in 9 will develop breast cancer but almost 1 in 3 will die from it? That's 2 out of 9 women dying from BC without even developing it...and that really sucks....you have no chance of early detection. In fact...that's saying that 66% of women who will die of breast cancer will never have it in the first place.

Don't mind me.....I know it's a serious issue.....but the stats are bugging me.

Last edited by Jeeper; Jan 4th 2010 at 4:48 pm.
Old Jan 4th 2010, 4:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yes it really is 28% for breast cancer here! it is the 5th biggest killer in the UK.
What percentage of women die from BC in UK?
Old Jan 4th 2010, 4:55 pm
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

no, it's plausible that if 33% of the population will die of cancer, 33 women in 100 will die of it, 28 of which will die of breast cancer in particular.

Dunno how the 1 in 9 fits in... but hey... maybe it's just more fatal.

Thanks for the vid link, btw... you never know if you're checking properly!

Last edited by Hello.Kitty; Jan 4th 2010 at 4:58 pm.
Old Jan 4th 2010, 5:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty
no, it's plausible that if 33% of the population will die of cancer, 33 women in 100 will die of it, 28 of which will die of breast cancer in particular.

SO 85% of cancer deaths are breast cancer? (28/33) Bollocks.
Quick google tells me it's Lung cancer....and even if it's not - you can't tell me breast cancers kill more than lung cancers at a ratio of 85 /15 (and that's assuming no other cancer deaths.

Again....agree with the main issue....but your stats are laughable.
Old Jan 4th 2010, 5:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty

The 1 in 9 was a quote from the OP who said 1 in 9 women will get Breast Cancer....that's 11% of women getting Breast Cancer....but hang on.....apparently 28% of women die from Breast Cancer.......so my question was.....what happens to that poor 17% of women who died from Breast cancer but didn't have it in the first place?
Old Jan 4th 2010, 5:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

NOT having children
Not breast feeding
Lack of exercise
Using the pill

x
Sorry but I'm puzzled too............. why are the factors you mentioned 30% more likely to affect Western women who live in this region than back at home? None of those factors (which I do not dispute) are particularly Middle-East-specific.
Old Jan 4th 2010, 5:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

http://info.cancerresearchuk.org/can...ales/index.htm

16% of cancer deaths are from breast cancer in UK.

If the rate of deaths in women is 23% due to cancer ( http://www.cancure.org/statistics.htm )....and 16% of those 30% is from breast cancer....then the actual death rate from Breast Cancer is around 5%

No matter the source of your stats - There is no way that 28% of women die from breast cancer specifically.

and thankfully....according to my sources above....the only people that died from BC had it before the time of death....which must be viewed as a good thing for the preservation of logic if nothing else.
Old Jan 4th 2010, 5:39 pm
Just Joined

Anonindubai has a brilliant futureAnonindubai has a brilliant futureAnonindubai has a brilliant futureAnonindubai has a brilliant futureAnonindubai has a brilliant futureAnonindubai has a brilliant futureAnonindubai has a brilliant futureAnonindubai has a brilliant future

sod the stats girls, just check your tits!
Old Jan 4th 2010, 5:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hi all,

Happy post time!

End of depressing post!

KC
x
........ and (would you believe it?), here in 21st century enlightened Bahrain, that self-examination website is blocked by the Webnazi :curse:
Old Jan 5th 2010, 3:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jeeper
so 1 in 9 will develop breast cancer but almost 1 in 3 will die from it? That's 2 out of 9 women dying from BC without even developing it...and that really sucks....you have no chance of early detection. In fact...that's saying that 66% of women who will die of breast cancer will never have it in the first place.

Don't mind me.....I know it's a serious issue.....but the stats are bugging me.
Maybe it is 1/3 of the people who get it will die. i.e. 1/3 of the 1/9 - 1/27 will die. This seems much more reasonable.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.