Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Breaking News - Lanarkwitch Actually Gets Job Interview!

Breaking News - Lanarkwitch Actually Gets Job Interview!

Old Dec 3rd 2012, 12:08 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: Breaking News - Lanarkwitch Actually Gets Job Interview!

Originally Posted by lanarkwitch
Thanks Scamp I appreciate the help, I'm a bit nervous but excited nervous, plus Mr Lanark will be v impressed if I arrive in Dubai on Wednesday am and get a job in the pm

Gone over the CV a bunch of times, thought of interesting points and have gone through the JD with a fine tooth comb and made notes regarding relevant experience etc, any other thoughts?
Think of what they are looking for.

I can reject a CV until I read it again and notice only one or two points that interest me. Then I'll call.

Think of how you can drop in key parts of their JD to show you understand the job and the role...think of what the company is like in terms of it's culture and tailor things to make sure they understand that you get it and are like that (although it depends on your role but what I mean is if the position interfaces with different levels and has to be able to cut across different streams / units then demonstrate you've done it / do it / can do it).

Erm...

Go loaded with a few questions. Even if they all get answered in the interview, have extensions to those questions so you can find out more...or just be honest and tell them the three things you wanted to ask about (eg: why the company is whatever or however or going wherever) have been covered.

Try not to use cheesey / shit closes at the end. If it's gone well then thank them and leave confidently. I interviewed a lad for a research role and he asked when to expect the offer when he was spectacularly shit. Fair play - he flummoxed me but by doing so he got my bluntest response.

Pause before you speak. Don't be afraid to do so, but don't leave them hanging like you're day dreaming. Think about what you're going to say. Be concise and factual, delivering the information succinctly but in enough detail...if that makes sense.

Look at them when you talk to them.

Smile a lot.

Be confident.

If they say no then just shrug your shoulders and think 'get ****ed, you're company is shit and I wouldn't have accepted it anyway'.

NB: All of the above is just general shit that I think is sensible. People WILL disagree or say things are right / wrong but it's tough to give a pointer when I don't know what you do etc etc etc. Take what you think is relevant and ignore the rest.
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 12:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

UKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond repute

For competency questions one thing i was taught was to think of 5 (work) stories and relate the questions to those stories - saves trying to swot different questions.
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 12:22 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Don't wear black
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 12:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Think of what they are looking for.

I can reject a CV until I read it again and notice only one or two points that interest me. Then I'll call.

Think of how you can drop in key parts of their JD to show you understand the job and the role...think of what the company is like in terms of it's culture and tailor things to make sure they understand that you get it and are like that (although it depends on your role but what I mean is if the position interfaces with different levels and has to be able to cut across different streams / units then demonstrate you've done it / do it / can do it).

Erm...

Go loaded with a few questions. Even if they all get answered in the interview, have extensions to those questions so you can find out more...or just be honest and tell them the three things you wanted to ask about (eg: why the company is whatever or however or going wherever) have been covered.

Try not to use cheesey / shit closes at the end. If it's gone well then thank them and leave confidently. I interviewed a lad for a research role and he asked when to expect the offer when he was spectacularly shit. Fair play - he flummoxed me but by doing so he got my bluntest response.

Pause before you speak. Don't be afraid to do so, but don't leave them hanging like you're day dreaming. Think about what you're going to say. Be concise and factual, delivering the information succinctly but in enough detail...if that makes sense.

Look at them when you talk to them.

Smile a lot.

Be confident.

If they say no then just shrug your shoulders and think 'get ****ed, you're company is shit and I wouldn't have accepted it anyway'.

NB: All of the above is just general shit that I think is sensible. People WILL disagree or say things are right / wrong but it's tough to give a pointer when I don't know what you do etc etc etc. Take what you think is relevant and ignore the rest.
I'd agree with about 95 pct of that..........

A question I always ask: why is there a vacancy? Has someone left? If so, under what circumstances? Or are they simply expanding/growing and need more people to meet increased demand from customers, etc?

Also - always clarify the chain of command: if you are accustomed to a senior role with considerable responsibility, decision-making powers, etc, do not tolerate reporting to the Deputy Assistant Manager, or whoever.
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 12:32 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by The Dean
I'd agree with about 95 pct of that..........

A question I always ask: why is there a vacancy? Has someone left? If so, under what circumstances? Or are they simply expanding/growing and need more people to meet increased demand from customers, etc?

Also - always clarify the chain of command: if you are accustomed to a senior role with considerable responsibility, decision-making powers, etc, do not tolerate reporting to the Deputy Assistant Manager, or whoever.
Shit the bed that's a good point.

Justification for the vacancy is key. If you've gone direct then ask, if you've gone through an agent then ask them.
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 12:39 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

One of the key ones for me (mainly as an interviewer, but also when I've been on the other side of the table) is, "What can you bring to this company? / Why should we hire you?".

Diggy biccies aside, I like to hear how a candidate has dealt with and resolved problems in situations similar to those which s/he's going to face in my company. Which requires the candidate to have taken the trouble to find out what we really do (or, if that's not possible pre-interview, then taken the trouble to ask and listen properly during the interview) and then relate his/her real experiences and expand on their similarities. Most jobs, regardless of level, require employees to work with their colleagues, customers and suppliers to achieve results, and its the efficiency and attitude of the employee that means success or failure. "In my last employment there was a situation [details...] where I did [such and such] to achieve an outcome." The details have got to be real (names, figures, dates, projects) and your own involvement has to be specific--always a give-away when a candidate changes from "I" to "we" when describing actions: "we" almost always means the candidate had bugger-all part to play.

Good luck
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 12:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

For me it would have to be Victorias Secret, La Senza or that company which employs Kittykat.
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 12:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

lanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to all

You guys are spectacularly helpful, can't thank you enough <3
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 12:54 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mentalist
For me it would have to be Victorias Secret, La Senza or that company which employs Kittykat.
What, as Sniffer-in-Chief?
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 1:33 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
Don't wear black
Maybe she's applying to be a funeral director...
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 2:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE]Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Cat
Don't wear black
Maybe she's applying to be a funeral director.../QUOTE]

Or a job in the fashion industry....
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 2:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Mentalist- we have a few job openings- what are your skills, how will you make my life easier and why would I want to work with you?
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 2:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

And Lanarkwitch, ask the interviewer if they enjoy working for the company- throws most people
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 5:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Ask if you have to buy the cakes on your birthday, or if it works the other way around.
Old Dec 6th 2012, 3:28 am
Account Closed

Well? Come on....how'd it go?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.