Wikiposts

bored in Bahrain

Old Nov 16th 2007, 10:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

jvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default bored in Bahrain

marhaba habibis,

greetings from Bahrain - got in yesterday afternoon for what could be a very geeky conference. yesterday and today relaxing, work starts tomorrow...

first impressions v favourable cf UAE - all 3 of my cabbies so far have been locals! rip-off merchants natch but friendly and being local their conversation isn't restricted to how bad the traffic is or how much/little they managed to send home last month and how my taking them to Sharjah is an evil act...

Main topic today has been Iran. One chap is very unhappy with all Shia' labelling them *all* with some colourful language... he seems to be eagerly awaiting the war. This came up because of the security presence around the palace on the occasion of Ahmedinajad visiting today.

At Bahrian fort I met a young US family - the man is with his embassy here and he had a lot to say about it too, and the last cabby had a picture of one of the Ayatollahs on his dash and was listening to a sermon... managed to catch a few names - Imam Hussein was mentioned many times. So it looks like i had both sides of the political compass. Understandably this man was less gung-ho (insh-allah jang nahi hoga)

The Crowded Planet talks of a mysterious bar known as Hunters Lodge where American sailors play pool. But i randomly met an English QS and his tattooed mate from Plymouth and his American teacher gf last night at the Bab al-Bahrain and his experience is that everyone here is friendly... locals, Asians, Filipinos, except for American naval ratings, and even the naval officers are a bit iffy. It seems he has almost been in 3 fights as a result. Interesting!

Work starts tomorrow, yay!
Old Nov 16th 2007, 10:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: bored in Bahrain

Originally Posted by jvr20
marhaba habibis,

greetings from Bahrain - got in yesterday afternoon for what could be a very geeky conference. yesterday and today relaxing, work starts tomorrow...

first impressions v favourable cf UAE - all 3 of my cabbies so far have been locals! rip-off merchants natch but friendly and being local their conversation isn't restricted to how bad the traffic is or how much/little they managed to send home last month and how my taking them to Sharjah is an evil act...

Main topic today has been Iran. One chap is very unhappy with all Shia' labelling them *all* with some colourful language... he seems to be eagerly awaiting the war. This came up because of the security presence around the palace on the occasion of Ahmedinajad visiting today.

At Bahrian fort I met a young US family - the man is with his embassy here and he had a lot to say about it too, and the last cabby had a picture of one of the Ayatollahs on his dash and was listening to a sermon... managed to catch a few names - Imam Hussein was mentioned many times. So it looks like i had both sides of the political compass. Understandably this man was less gung-ho (insh-allah jang nahi hoga)

The Crowded Planet talks of a mysterious bar known as Hunters Lodge where American sailors play pool. But i randomly met an English QS and his tattooed mate from Plymouth and his American teacher gf last night at the Bab al-Bahrain and his experience is that everyone here is friendly... locals, Asians, Filipinos, except for American naval ratings, and even the naval officers are a bit iffy. It seems he has almost been in 3 fights as a result. Interesting!

Keep up the travelogue, ya akhee. Looking forward to the next installment - njoy yr trip.
Old Nov 17th 2007, 2:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jvr20
marhaba habibis,

JVR,

Totally agree that Bahrain is better than Dubai. It's more 'genuinely Arabic' with a more transient racial mix, which makes people more willing to welcome newcomers etc.

Some expats find it a bit claustrophobic ('everyone knows everyone else's business' etc) but I've never found this. The rugby club is very family-friendly, unlike the Exiles, and a good social focal point.

Haven't heard of Hunters Lodge though - must be within the US military base itself? I never get farther than the Warbler.......
Old Nov 17th 2007, 6:06 pm
Greying Member

Rog_Rams is a glorious beacon of lightRog_Rams is a glorious beacon of lightRog_Rams is a glorious beacon of lightRog_Rams is a glorious beacon of lightRog_Rams is a glorious beacon of lightRog_Rams is a glorious beacon of lightRog_Rams is a glorious beacon of lightRog_Rams is a glorious beacon of lightRog_Rams is a glorious beacon of lightRog_Rams is a glorious beacon of lightRog_Rams is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by The Dean
JVR,

Totally agree that Bahrain is better than Dubai. It's more 'genuinely Arabic' with a more transient racial mix, which makes people more willing to welcome newcomers etc.

Some expats find it a bit claustrophobic ('everyone knows everyone else's business' etc) but I've never found this. The rugby club is very family-friendly, unlike the Exiles, and a good social focal point.

Haven't heard of Hunters Lodge though - must be within the US military base itself? I never get farther than the Warbler.......
Hunters Lodge? It's in the Adhari Hotel, down in the souk area. Check out it's sister property on the top floor of the Aradous Hotel. Always amusing. Filipino cover bands galore and cheap-ish refreshment. Both should have an interesting cross section of clientele.

The Warbler is OK too of course - and JJ's.

You could also check out the Wrangler. My mate went there expecting to see cowboys, but all he found were Indians.........boom, boom.
Old Nov 17th 2007, 8:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

sounds like fun, jvr...hope the rest of your stay goes well...least you've got a legit excuse for blowing us out on quiz night this week!!

MM, xx
Old Nov 17th 2007, 9:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
sounds like fun, jvr...hope the rest of your stay goes well...least you've got a legit excuse for blowing us out on quiz night this week!!

MM, xx
so that means you are coming then
Old Nov 17th 2007, 9:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
so that means you are coming then
don't you read your pms...?!!!

MM, xx
Old Nov 17th 2007, 9:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

don't you read your pms...?!!!

MM, xx
just did
Old Nov 17th 2007, 9:29 pm
live life to the max

mythic has a reputation beyond reputemythic has a reputation beyond reputemythic has a reputation beyond reputemythic has a reputation beyond reputemythic has a reputation beyond reputemythic has a reputation beyond reputemythic has a reputation beyond reputemythic has a reputation beyond reputemythic has a reputation beyond reputemythic has a reputation beyond reputemythic has a reputation beyond repute

just did
now come on ins, you know with MM you have to be opn the ball
Old Nov 17th 2007, 9:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by mythic
now come on ins, you know with MM you have to be opn the ball
yeah...can't stand slackers...

MM, xx
Old Nov 17th 2007, 9:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

yeah...can't stand slackers...

MM, xx
I can take a hint
Old Nov 17th 2007, 9:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I can take a hint
stop it now...and get that bleedin christmas night out sorted...

MM, xx
Old Nov 17th 2007, 10:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

stop it now...and get that bleedin christmas night out sorted...

MM, xx
ooooh I love it when you are domineering
Old Nov 18th 2007, 6:35 pm
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

I recall a very nice sports bar just behind the Gold Souk in Bahrain popular with US marines with a dodgy health club downstairs and a very lively Filipino rock joint upstairs, where four cuties did a fabulous imitation of Led Zeppelin and I mean they were note perfect...nothing really comparable here.
Old Nov 18th 2007, 6:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by lionheart
I recall a very nice sports bar just behind the Gold Souk in Bahrain popular with US marines with a dodgy health club downstairs and a very lively Filipino rock joint upstairs, where four cuties did a fabulous imitation of Led Zeppelin and I mean they were note perfect...nothing really comparable here.
the bar at the seaview hotel is...allegedly...

MM, xx

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.