Boozeio

Old Jun 19th 2017, 10:41 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: Boozeio

Originally Posted by Meow
I get that but - to play devil's advocate for a moment - why should they? English may be a global language but we do rather expect Johnny Foreigner to learn English rather than learning anything ourselves. The Brits are generally rubbish at languages.

Cue posters claiming proficiency in multiple languages but the point stands. We are lucky that we can mostly get away with not bothering but it's a bit Daily Mail to expect others to be the only ones to make an effort, don't you think?

(Yes, I am bored too, but busy bored!)
I go for the minimal and then try to use it as much or as little as possible, depending on how difficult it is. It's the easiest way, especially if not a total language learning buff, which I won't profess to be.

Examples: French, my accent is actually, too much fabulous....I'm gifted. I end up being spoken to like a Frenchman and I understand so little nowadays. I would limit attempts and revert to point and shout to avoid having to explain that I'm a roast beef not a garlic and onion.
Greek - I love giving it a go when I (rarely, sadly) get to visit nowadays. It's pleasant, except I'll never accept that yes/no sound the wrong way round.
Japanese - when we go we will try, but rather than hash through things too often I might limit to please, thanks and hello type basics.
Old Jun 19th 2017, 10:57 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
I go for the minimal and then try to use it as much or as little as possible, depending on how difficult it is. It's the easiest way, especially if not a total language learning buff, which I won't profess to be.

Examples: French, my accent is actually, too much fabulous....I'm gifted. I end up being spoken to like a Frenchman and I understand so little nowadays. I would limit attempts and revert to point and shout to avoid having to explain that I'm a roast beef not a garlic and onion.
Greek - I love giving it a go when I (rarely, sadly) get to visit nowadays. It's pleasant, except I'll never accept that yes/no sound the wrong way round.
Japanese - when we go we will try, but rather than hash through things too often I might limit to please, thanks and hello type basics.

I am not suggesting we should take intensive classes before going anywhere but hello, please and thank you and not shouting are a good start. I believe you can get great phone apps for languages like Japanese. I only know a few words/phrases and learned most of that whilst watching Shogun many years ago!

I wish I had more time to learn more language properly but sadly it gets harder as you get older too. I wish I'd had to learn more as a small child as we are like sponges then.
Old Jun 19th 2017, 11:04 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

I get that but - to play devil's advocate for a moment - why should they? English may be a global language but we do rather expect Johnny Foreigner to learn English rather than learning anything ourselves. The Brits are generally rubbish at languages.

Cue posters claiming proficiency in multiple languages but the point stands. We are lucky that we can mostly get away with not bothering but it's a bit Daily Mail to expect others to be the only ones to make an effort, don't you think?

Meh. Wasn't that the whole point of the Empire? So we could go on a 200 quid all inc to Malaga and then submit a food poisoning claim while at least shouting at Pablo for another beer in English?

Personally I am pretty average at languages.... Welsh (16yrs - forgotten it), French (5yrs - schoolboy at best), German (2yrs - schoolboy at best).... after that there's bits of Spanish, Indo and Hindi.... actually my Hindi when in India is OK.

I do still find though that wherever you are if you make a basic effort it goes a long way, and then if hand gestures are needed then no one cares and you'll get there in the end. This is with exception of France, and I know many will claim otherwise but after visiting various areas and trying out my very blatantly sh*tey French they still reply at 3,000,000 mph with the sole intention of being dicks! I was there last week and gave it a shot several times but..... non merci!
Old Jun 20th 2017, 4:07 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

I am not suggesting we should take intensive classes before going anywhere but hello, please and thank you and not shouting are a good start. I believe you can get great phone apps for languages like Japanese. I only know a few words/phrases and learned most of that whilst watching Shogun many years ago!

I wish I had more time to learn more language properly but sadly it gets harder as you get older too. I wish I'd had to learn more as a small child as we are like sponges then.
Yeah, I was quite good but not like some who can just snap into a new language quickly. I like giving it a go though, it goes a long way.
Old Jun 20th 2017, 4:42 am
BE Forum Addict

al dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond repute

We go to Italy for a month every summer. My husband decided after year 4 to get some professional help at his language acquisition (as it is shite) and started Italian language school in AD twice a week for 6 months. He was still so shite that i said that he had better have had a mistress as, if he had actually tried to learn Italian, his lack of progress was an embarrassment to both of us.

Apparently, she didn't believe he had been to Italy for the month either as he came back worse than when he left. (so he tells me)

Last edited by al dente; Jun 20th 2017 at 4:43 am. Reason: comma
Old Jun 20th 2017, 5:00 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by al dente
We go to Italy for a month every summer. My husband decided after year 4 to get some professional help at his language acquisition (as it is shite) and started Italian language school in AD twice a week for 6 months. He was still so shite that i said that he had better have had a mistress as, if he had actually tried to learn Italian, his lack of progress was an embarrassment to both of us.

Apparently, she didn't believe he had been to Italy for the month either as he came back worse than when he left. (so he tells me)
Shout. Drag words out for longer than they should be. Lots of gesturing with shrugged shoulders and stuff like that. Italian must be easy?

Bit in bold properly made me chuckle.
Old Jun 20th 2017, 6:51 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

i hear ya
Old Jun 20th 2017, 6:52 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

SCAMP when you off yaar?
Old Jun 20th 2017, 7:12 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by mission
SCAMP when you off yaar?
Not until August.

But we're adults you know? We decided where to go, booked flights and that's that.
Old Jun 20th 2017, 7:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Not until August.

But we're adults you know? We decided where to go, booked flights and that's that.
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Old Jun 20th 2017, 7:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Not until August.

When in Aug? I'M OFF ON THE 24TH AUG
Old Jun 20th 2017, 7:59 am
Account Closed

When in Aug?
Why? do you want a lunch date at Terminal 3?

9th or 10th I think.
Old Jun 20th 2017, 8:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Why? do you want a lunch date at Terminal 3?

9th or 10th I think.
we could have had a lunch date......next time we will co-ordinate our holidays
Old Jun 20th 2017, 8:06 am
Account Closed

we could have had a lunch date......next time we will co-ordinate our holidays
You're probably flying on the 24th August 2019 anyway.
Old Jun 20th 2017, 8:08 am
BE Forum Addict

You're probably flying on the 24th August 2019 anyway.
:ban ghead:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.