book club

Old Jul 29th 2012, 10:05 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: book club

Originally Posted by mikewot
When you're signing something do you subvocalise your name and does your tongue poke out between your lips?
Occasionally.
Old Jul 29th 2012, 6:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hnd
Salmon Fishing in the Yemen ...

Yes, I know it's been made into a film but I haven't seen it and will not see it because the pictures in my mind are so glorious that nothing on-screen could ever compare.

If anyone does read this book I challenge them NOT to ascribe certain features/characteristics to, say, certain political figures. Not many books make me laugh out loud but this book did.
The film is excellent. I've not read the book though...
Old Jul 30th 2012, 7:45 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Operation Market Garden, very moving account and free on kindle - Diary of a Red Devil: By Glider to Arnhem with the 7th King's Own Scottish Borderers
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008BLQNX...g=armrumser-21
Old Jul 30th 2012, 10:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

DesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cypselos
The whole family? did you finish it

Spoiler:
What with the cannibalism and all that.

From cover to cover and just may read again before the movie comes out. The ending is interesting and can be taken two ways, literally, or magically. The innocence and the humour, the observations were all so well done. From what I've been reading there seems to be a groundswell surrounding this book of fiction since it's publication 10 years ago, even becoming required reading in some schools.

The whole family?...Given the movie will be made in 3D, the studio will probably disneyfy it for mass consumption & profits. It will be interesting to watch the movie to see what was toned down, changed or eliminated.

Last edited by DesertOcean; Jul 30th 2012 at 11:57 pm.
Old Jul 31st 2012, 5:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Cypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to behold

It's nearly ten years since I read it, but I seem to remember there were some fairly dark undertones implicit throughout. Quite how you can Disneyfy the end I'm not sure.

I can see why you'd give it to kids in Secondary school, but that doesn't make it whole family stuff. You may be right on the Disney front - but it won't be the life of Pi if they turn it into the Junglebook.