book club

Old Jul 29th 2012, 4:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: book club

'Shit my Dad Says' : Justin Halpen

One of the only books ever to actually make me laugh out-loud. It's short, you will read it in a few days, but very funny.

I have a DRM free copy for the kindle somewhere if you want it. Otherwise, it'll cost you 3 quid.

edit - as far as I can tell, it has nothing to do with the shitty US TV program of same name.

Last edited by Millhouse; Jul 29th 2012 at 4:13 am.
Old Jul 29th 2012, 5:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Cypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by DesertOcean
If it's anything like the book it should be good entertainment for the whole family.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9Hjrs6WQ8M
The whole family? did you finish it

Spoiler:
What with the cannibalism and all that.
Old Jul 29th 2012, 5:38 am
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
'Shit my Dad Says' : Justin Halpen

One of the only books ever to actually make me laugh out-loud. It's short, you will read it in a few days, but very funny.

I have a DRM free copy for the kindle somewhere if you want it. Otherwise, it'll cost you 3 quid.

edit - as far as I can tell, it has nothing to do with the shitty US TV program of same name.
Not read the book, but it started with his twitter persona, then developed the book and was the basis for the TV show and he was involved as a writer, but the TV show was a totally different format / concept. The TV show is awful, the original tweets (and I'd guess) the book are brilliant...
Old Jul 29th 2012, 6:34 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Autonomy
Not read the book, but it started with his twitter persona, then developed the book and was the basis for the TV show and he was involved as a writer, but the TV show was a totally different format / concept. The TV show is awful, the original tweets (and I'd guess) the book are brilliant...
The book is quite amusing, but very short. I read it in a couple of hours max.

I'm reading George Orwell's The Road to Wigan Pier. One of my favourite writers.
Old Jul 29th 2012, 6:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
The book is quite amusing, but very short. I read it in a couple of hours max.
Just so we are clear Meow about your two hours vs. my few day estimate of how long it takes to read this book. I don't have the reading skills of a 5 year old, but only read while on the thrown.
Old Jul 29th 2012, 6:49 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Just so we are clear Meow about your two hours vs. my few day estimate of how long it takes to read this book. I don't have the reading skills of a 5 year old, but only read while on the thrown.
*scrubs brain*
Old Jul 29th 2012, 6:51 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Reading times. Interesting to me at least because I read very quickly (so does my mother) and retain the salient points of work documents. Long descriptive verbiage such as some authors seem to use, like the colour of the curtains when a character enters a room, what other people are wearing etc. doesn't do it for me. I will quickly scan over this type of unessential rubbish. My wife enjoys all of that and is a 'slow' reader. My parents are similar, mother like me, father like my wife and both will reread paragraphs they enjoy. I never reread bits and can't read the same book twice.

Anyone else a 'fast' reader with good retention?
Old Jul 29th 2012, 6:52 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

only read while on the thrown.
I hope you're not throwing around the stuff you're depositing whilst on the throne
Old Jul 29th 2012, 6:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by mikewot
I hope you're not throwing around the stuff you're depositing whilst on the throne
good spot. I leave the shit throwing for the monkeys.

I'm also a fast reader. It drives me insane when I give my wife something to read and I sit there waiting... 'have you finished yet?' ,'no', 'how long does this take, I've read it three times now', 'wait', 'ok, tell me when you're done. I'll make a drink' - typical conversations in my house.
Old Jul 29th 2012, 7:03 am
Bored liberal

Reading times. Interesting to me at least because I read very quickly (so does my mother) and retain the salient points of work documents. Long descriptive verbiage such as some authors seem to use, like the colour of the curtains when a character enters a room, what other people are wearing etc. doesn't do it for me. I will quickly scan over this type of unessential rubbish. My wife enjoys all of that and is a 'slow' reader. My parents are similar, mother like me, father like my wife and both will reread paragraphs they enjoy. I never reread bits and can't read the same book twice.

Ditto, although I have been known to read a few books twice, several years apart.

If I read slowly I'd never get through all the work related stuff I need to read without dying of boredom.
Old Jul 29th 2012, 7:45 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a slow reader--I subvocalise. I do sometimes just scan--which I can do quite well--but generally I don't. And usually scanning isn't appropriate for the work I do, where every words counts.
Old Jul 29th 2012, 8:31 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

'The Nipper' by Charlie Mitchell

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Nipper-h.../dp/0007292597

tear jerking book. I read it in one sitting during a rainy day in Scotland. Times i wanted to jump into the book and smack the shit out of the bastard of a dad.
Old Jul 29th 2012, 8:32 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
I'm a slow reader--I subvocalise.
When you're signing something do you subvocalise your name and does your tongue poke out between your lips?
Old Jul 29th 2012, 8:35 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by commander
'The Nipper' by Charlie Mitchell
There is an English version of this book whose name escapes me. Appalling poverty but even worse treatment of the eldest boy. Had me in tears many times. Loaned it to one of my sons so will try and track the title down.

The Kid by Kevin Lewes Bit dusty in here.

Last edited by mikewot; Jul 29th 2012 at 8:44 am. Reason: Found title
Old Jul 29th 2012, 9:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

When you're signing something do you subvocalise your name and does your tongue poke out between your lips?
It's so bad, he has finger spaces in his signature.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.