Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Big Birthday Bash...Ideas please

Big Birthday Bash...Ideas please

Old Jan 14th 2014, 2:12 am
Forum Regular

Myusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really nice
Default Re: Big Birthday Bash...Ideas please

12 days in the UAE and not one visit to the capital? The grand mosque and possibly emirates palace?
Old Jan 14th 2014, 3:50 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Myusernamewastaken
12 days in the UAE and not one visit to the capital? The grand mosque and possibly emirates palace?
Excellent shout. On my list as I've done neither.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 4:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Excellent shout. On my list as I've done neither.
the palace can be missed, but the mosque is awesome - don't go on a Friday (obviously) and try and go before 10am for the free tour.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 4:10 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Millhouse
the palace can be missed, but the mosque is awesome - don't go on a Friday (obviously) and try and go before 10am for the free tour.
I remember looking into it before and the timings are online, will investigate. Thanks
Old Jan 14th 2014, 4:27 am
BE Enthusiast

the_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond repute

Ferrari World on the way back from the mosque?

Stick her on the Big bus tour one day when you’re working

Cocktails in the Burj al Arab

Boat party i.e. the one from Jebel Ali where you book in with a load of randoms

Al Qasr brunch is excellent for visitors

Trip out to Hatta, RAK or Fujairah

Any decent gigs or sporting events on while she’s here? Meydan, Polo, camel races?

Send her on the bus into Sharjah for the day ; )
Old Jan 14th 2014, 4:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Mogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to all

I'll email you, thanks mate.

I know what you mean re; Creek. We'll park on Deira side, walk around souks, get an abra, have some lunch and then wander about.
I would suggest parking in Carrefour car park on Bur Dubai side ( it's free if you buy something and by far the easiest place I have found to get a space in that part of town) and get the abra across to spice/gold souk, abra back to Bur Dubai side and go to the restaurant with seating overlooking the creek - no idea the name of it but it's at the end nearest the abra station (you'll see the seating area from the abra). Food is not bad and our 1st time visitors always enjoyed it.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 4:43 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Mogs
I would suggest parking in Carrefour car park on Bur Dubai side ( it's free if you buy something and by far the easiest place I have found to get a space in that part of town) and get the abra across to spice/gold souk, abra back to Bur Dubai side and go to the restaurant with seating overlooking the creek - no idea the name of it but it's at the end nearest the abra station (you'll see the seating area from the abra). Food is not bad and our 1st time visitors always enjoyed it.
I know the one, we've been in that restaurant with every visitor, not too expensive and decent tucker.

I found an underground car park on Deira side somewhere within about 5 mins of the souks. Not expensive and means you get to drive along the creek down to the front and walk in amongst some of the 'proper' bits of the city.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 4:48 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

I found an underground car park on Deira side somewhere within about 5 mins of the souks. Not expensive and means you get to drive along the creek down to the front and walk in amongst some of the 'proper' bits of the city.
Pray tell
Old Jan 14th 2014, 4:52 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

I don't like Yalumba, sorry.
Me neither, but it's an unforgettable experience.

We went to Bice brunch at Hilton JBR late last year and was one of best we had...it's not the queuing up like being at school type brunch, but excellent food and very civilised - then up to Pure bar which is very nice.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 4:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

I've still never been to a brunch in Dubai - quite happy about that.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 5:14 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by mentalist
Pray tell
I think...because I just sort of remember each time I go...it is on Al Ahmadia Street in Deira. When you look on Google Maps it's at the Civil Defence station end, probably around the Purvi Enterprises junction. It's got a big 'P' sign (I think the road is one-way and it's therefore on the left) and there is a bank on the corner after it (if it's on your left).
Old Jan 14th 2014, 5:17 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
Me neither, but it's an unforgettable experience.

We went to Bice brunch at Hilton JBR late last year and was one of best we had...it's not the queuing up like being at school type brunch, but excellent food and very civilised - then up to Pure bar which is very nice.
Sorry was a bit blunt, I don't dislike it, just not a massive fan. Agree that it's unforgettable. I think Mina Salaam is winning so far - reasonable price and still has big 'wow' factor.

Will look into Bice - Thanks.

Originally Posted by Millhouse
I've still never been to a brunch in Dubai - quite happy about that.
You're like my boss, he refuses to go, hates them.

The last four I've done have all been at Bubblicious so avoiding that for a year or so.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 5:32 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Myusernamewastaken
Doesn't the sister already live and work in Fujeirah so she can visit Abu Dhabi at her own convenience, surely?
Old Jan 14th 2014, 5:33 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by mentalist
Doesn't the sister already live and work in Fujeirah so she can visit Abu Dhabi at her own convenience, surely?
Nope, she had some work to there a few years ago but only for a matter of days.

She was in the port too, so probably saw the inside of a container ship and little else.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 7:43 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Take her to the Panorama, seaview or York hotel for some 'sightseeing'?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.