British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Big Birthday Bash...Ideas please (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/big-birthday-bash-ideas-please-821412/)

Scamp Jan 13th 2014 11:15 am

Big Birthday Bash...Ideas please
 
Afternoon fellow members,

In just under a month I have my big Sister coming for her 30th Birthday. She's not been here before, apart from with work but she didn't see Dubai, she was sent straight to Fujairah Port. Hahahaha.

I want to blow her simple little mind and send her home thinking she's had the best birthday ever.

Now, there are several things I can sort, like a nice brunch (I should mention she's here for 12 days), Khalifa visit - probably At.mosphere as I haven't been yet, NEOS, Observatory, all those nice bars to take her to and show off.

However, she's going to be alone for a few days whilst I'm working and wants to go scuba diving - any suggestions???

Anything else other than the usual that I'm overlooking?; Gold/Spice souks, Malls, Ravi's, Museum (maybe) etc?

Millhouse Jan 13th 2014 11:24 am

Re: Big Birthday Bash...Ideas please
 
I would highly recommend a trip to Musandam and do the full day boat cruise... end it with some pissed camping on the beach before driving home the next day.

I can probably arrange for a dune bashing trip too if you wanted.

NorthernLad Jan 13th 2014 11:30 am

Re: Big Birthday Bash...Ideas please
 
Brunch in Yalumba, she'll not forget it.

Barasti for sundowners during the week.

Walk up the creek, abra across and into the souks (apparently you can also walk around the place where they make dhows, not sure if a lass would be interested in that).

Dragonmart.

The Pavilion dive club in JBH used to offer a variety of dive trips, although Al Boom are likely cheaper.

kittycat1 Jan 13th 2014 11:32 am

Re: Big Birthday Bash...Ideas please
 
awww aren't you a nice brother :thumbsup: I got jack all from my brother- he didn't even come out for my dinner/drinks.

360 is a must.
Also take her to the waterparks- always a fun day. and as she hasn't been before desert safari- or how about quad biking? Boat day trip? Global Village is great for gifts and feels more unique than the malls? Helicopter ride over Dubai?

For time on her own- I have no idea about scuba but I am sure she could kill a day at a Spa Treat her to a day at the one and only pool use or even a treatment- that's my indulgence. If she like shopping as well I am sure Dubai mall would keep her entertained for the day.

I'd also say let her have a lazy day just by your pool with a good book, time to wind down and relax. see if she wants to get her hair done, sleep whatever.


And finally if you do all of the above please adopt me Scamp :-)

kittycat1 Jan 13th 2014 11:33 am

Re: Big Birthday Bash...Ideas please
 
Do not send her to Dragonmart.

Scamp Jan 13th 2014 11:45 am

Re: Big Birthday Bash...Ideas please
 

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 11075974)
I would highly recommend a trip to Musandam and do the full day boat cruise... end it with some pissed camping on the beach before driving home the next day.

I can probably arrange for a dune bashing trip too if you wanted.

I'll email you, thanks mate.


Originally Posted by NorthernLad (Post 11075990)
Brunch in Yalumba, she'll not forget it.

Barasti for sundowners during the week.

Walk up the creek, abra across and into the souks (apparently you can also walk around the place where they make dhows, not sure if a lass would be interested in that).

Dragonmart.

The Pavilion dive club in JBH used to offer a variety of dive trips, although Al Boom are likely cheaper.

I don't like Yalumba, sorry.
Barasti mid-week is a good shout and on my list.
I know what you mean re; Creek. We'll park on Deira side, walk around souks, get an abra, have some lunch and then wander about.
Dragonmart - maybe. Not sure why but it might be funny. Although I'm technically on a ban as last time I went I spent 250dhs on a full size replica of the world cup trophy...


Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 11075993)
awww aren't you a nice brother :thumbsup: I got jack all from my brother- he didn't even come out for my dinner/drinks.

360 is a must.
Also take her to the waterparks- always a fun day. and as she hasn't been before desert safari- or how about quad biking? Boat day trip? Global Village is great for gifts and feels more unique than the malls? Helicopter ride over Dubai?

For time on her own- I have no idea about scuba but I am sure she could kill a day at a Spa Treat her to a day at the one and only pool use or even a treatment- that's my indulgence. If she like shopping as well I am sure Dubai mall would keep her entertained for the day.

I'd also say let her have a lazy day just by your pool with a good book, time to wind down and relax. see if she wants to get her hair done, sleep whatever.


And finally if you do all of the above please adopt me Scamp :-)

360 - Added to the list of must-visit bars, thanks!
Waterpark - maybe, not sure how interested she'd be.
Spa - maybe, she's a bit of a tomboy, she's an Engineer by profession and fixes shit on boats, scuba dives, sails and generally isn't a girly-girl...not a lesbian, no. (Before anyone asks...).
She may well fancy a few days to chill so will get them when I'm at work.

I might be able to adopt you, the application process is easy:

Mother me, in an annoying over-protective way that makes me not particularly like you sometimes, but leaves me with a deep-down feeling of true sibling love. Do that for 25 years and you're part of the fam.


Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 11075995)
Do not send her to Dragonmart.

:rofl:

Bahtatboy Jan 13th 2014 11:49 am

Re: Big Birthday Bash...Ideas please
 
My kids really enjoyed their scuba experience at the Sheraton, but--their enjoyment aside--I'm not sure I'd recommend it. What was meant to be theory + swimming pool familiarisation + sea experience, actually skipped the middle bit, and after 1 1/2 hours of theory and handling the equipment, they went straight into the sea and after about 15 minutes in waist / chest-deep water disappeared for 40 minutes. 1 instructor and my 3 kids. I was bricking it by the end.

Cypselos Jan 13th 2014 11:53 am

Re: Big Birthday Bash...Ideas please
 
Fish Shack.

Bahtatboy Jan 13th 2014 11:57 am

Re: Big Birthday Bash...Ideas please
 
First hotel on the right after crossing the bridge going from Barasti to JBR--they have an outdoor restaurant (not overlooking the sea) where you can get excellent mezze and booze, and sit under bit umbrellas in a very Arabic atmosphere.

NorthernLad Jan 13th 2014 12:11 pm

Re: Big Birthday Bash...Ideas please
 

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 11075995)
Do not send her to Dragonmart.

Dragonmart is great fun, we've taken visitors and they love it.

Scamp Jan 13th 2014 12:28 pm

Re: Big Birthday Bash...Ideas please
 

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 11076015)
My kids really enjoyed their scuba experience at the Sheraton, but--their enjoyment aside--I'm not sure I'd recommend it. What was meant to be theory + swimming pool familiarisation + sea experience, actually skipped the middle bit, and after 1 1/2 hours of theory and handling the equipment, they went straight into the sea and after about 15 minutes in waist / chest-deep water disappeared for 40 minutes. 1 instructor and my 3 kids. I was bricking it by the end.

That's almost identical to my first and only experience of scuba diving. On holiday in Spain, off a beach, bloke told us some simple signals, how to clean out the mouth piece and face mask and then told us to walk off the beach into the water. I got about 30 yards out and told him to **** it. Straight out of that mess. Fortunately Dad and the sisters survived!

winter Jan 13th 2014 2:06 pm

Re: Big Birthday Bash...Ideas please
 

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 11075965)
Afternoon fellow members,

In just under a month I have my big Sister coming for her 30th Birthday. She's not been here before, apart from with work but she didn't see Dubai, she was sent straight to Fujairah Port. Hahahaha.

I want to blow her simple little mind and send her home thinking she's had the best birthday ever.

Now, there are several things I can sort, like a nice brunch (I should mention she's here for 12 days), Khalifa visit - probably At.mosphere as I haven't been yet, NEOS, Observatory, all those nice bars to take her to and show off.

However, she's going to be alone for a few days whilst I'm working and wants to go scuba diving - any suggestions???

Anything else other than the usual that I'm overlooking?; Gold/Spice souks, Malls, Ravi's, Museum (maybe) etc?

One of my colleagues, just had her 30th birthday bash, and her friends hired the limo hummer car, she seem to enjoy it, not sure which brunches it took them to, but you probably can't get that in England. The company seemed to organise everything, balloons and all that

kittycat1 Jan 13th 2014 3:19 pm

Re: Big Birthday Bash...Ideas please
 
Sorry winter that is so so wrong!

kittycat1 Jan 13th 2014 3:29 pm

Re: Big Birthday Bash...Ideas please
 
Northern lad don't get me wrong I like dragon mart but really- for guests? Really?

winter Jan 13th 2014 3:42 pm

Re: Big Birthday Bash...Ideas please
 

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 11076235)
Sorry winter that is so so wrong!

It was just a suggestion, personally it's not for me, but Scamp asked for suggestions


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:55 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.