Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Bicycles - what to buy?

Wikiposts

Bicycles - what to buy?

Old Jul 27th 2011, 8:45 pm
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bicycles - what to buy?

Originally Posted by Roadking
WANT ONE!!!!
'cept the England bit.
Old Jul 27th 2011, 8:45 pm

WakeUp is an unknown quantity at this point

Or how about this effort from Muddy Fox, blue is a good colour......I mean green.

Old Jul 27th 2011, 8:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to behold

OK, need to buy 3 bikes for getting around while in the Highlands of sunny Scotland. None of us are passionate cyclists...more extreme couch surfers, unlike these dudes:
http://www.angelfire.com/ak2/intelli...yjLhw.facebook

What do we need to consider, what are the must haves and nice to haves. The bikes will only be used when we are home so not expensive stuff. One male and two females.

Sounds like you need a few Flying Pidgeons, the world's favourite bike??!!!!!!!!

Maybe they haven't reached Scotland ?
Old Jul 27th 2011, 8:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WakeUp
Or how about this effort from Muddy Fox, blue is a good colour......I mean green.

http://cdn.cyclingforums.com/6/65/65...yfox_Babes.jpg
They sell muddy fox bikes in a box at Tescos. Girls not included sadly.
Old Jul 27th 2011, 8:49 pm
Forum Regular

paca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nice

Originally Posted by Millhouse
I think you should also check out:

http://www.bikes2udirect.com/B0883.html

You know it makes sense.
Yes, I want one too

Just looked at decathelon.... do me a favour and promise not to buy one from there!!!!! spend the extra £100 for a trek and then you can thank me after riding it just once
Old Jul 27th 2011, 8:51 pm
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jim Smith
Sounds like you need a few Flying Pidgeons, the world's favourite bike??!!!!!!!!

Maybe they haven't reached Scotland ?
Strangely enough, that's the style Mrs RK wants but Miss RK said she wouldn't be seen out with us if she got one!
Old Jul 27th 2011, 8:52 pm
If I have to explain...

Originally Posted by paca
Yes, I want one too

Just looked at decathelon.... do me a favour and promise not to buy one from there!!!!! spend the extra £100 for a trek and then you can thank me after riding it just once
Why? What's the difference for occasional use...serious question, not being my usual sarky self
Old Jul 27th 2011, 8:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Strangely enough, that's the style Mrs RK wants but Miss RK said she wouldn't be seen out with us if she got one!
You are going about this all the wrong way...

Flying pigeon for Mr RK
Chopper for you
Barbie bike for Mini RK.

You're on holiday - no point in having the arguments over what bike!

Done.
Old Jul 27th 2011, 8:56 pm
If I have to explain...

Yes, I want one too

'knell buddy, just looked at Trek, one too many zeros in the price.

http://www.trekbikes.com/uk/en/bikes...kking/t_series
Old Jul 27th 2011, 8:57 pm
If I have to explain...

Originally Posted by Millhouse
You are going about this all the wrong way...

Flying pigeon for Mr RK
Chopper for you
Barbie bike for Mini RK.

You're on holiday - no point in having the arguments over what bike!

Done.
Ill tell Mini RK you said so, she is 15 going on 25 and Barbie is not an option. Thought this was cool and she said....nothing, just a look.

http://www.bikesdirect365.com/produc...2C-Ladies.html
Old Jul 27th 2011, 8:58 pm
If I have to explain...

Ill tell Mini RK you said so, she is 15 going on 25 and Barbie is not an option. Thought this was cool and she said....nothing, just a look.

http://www.bikesdirect365.com/produc...2C-Ladies.html
So far, from an attractive marketing perspective, WakeUp and Muddy Fox are winning!
Old Jul 27th 2011, 9:08 pm
Forum Regular

paca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nice

Why? What's the difference for occasional use...serious question, not being my usual sarky self
We went serious biking in scotland (well some of us did take it serious). I was hitting it hard and friend was taking it easy.

I had my second hand marin (cost£180) 10 years old - performed great apart from no suspension and trying to do jumps and ride hard

Friend had £160 apollo brand new (looked great, disc brakes, front suspension, etc), just riding the first uphill on a smooth track he had issues with the weight of the thing, then seat worked loose(broken clamp) then later handlebars loose(1 stripped thread when tightening). Then later on disc brake problem adjuster that rendered front brake out of action, rear was made of chocolate, rims not true after morning. He ended up renting a bike later which cost £60 and then took bike back to halfords for upgrade/refund. so all in what he spent he could have had a real good bike.

All cheaper sub £200 have cheap stuff (look at the cost of just 1 component on a decent bike, can cost £200 alone).

The trek bikes on sale are great because the tech is near the same as top end, They also have a name and brand so lower end usually isnt scrap.

If you buy a trek and use it for 3 years (3 weeks total use) and keep it in good condition you will get over half the value back easily if you decide to sell it. Cheap broken bike will have cost you the same or more and you wont sell it.
Old Jul 27th 2011, 9:13 pm
Forum Regular

yes, shocking

did you look at the links to the other bikes.... £220 and £250 ?

But like I said Mr. Cheapo bike factory only churns out crap all day, Trek have those bikes plus some that cost 3 times as much as well as Mr. Armstrongs Tour d'France road bikes..... Their low end gear is 10x better than Mr. Cheapo high end stuff
Old Jul 27th 2011, 9:13 pm

WakeUp is an unknown quantity at this point

They need to try harder with their models as well.
Old Jul 27th 2011, 9:19 pm
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

Why's that? Just based on the price?

They're built to a price, yes, but there's still thought put into the components in a way a generic Chinese brand from the supermarket doesn't have. They usually miss out on features, rather than stick on POS components. Their cheapest mountain bike is cheap - but no mudguards, no suspension, simple (but decent) braking system, etc.

I agree that for 50% extra on the price it'd be well worth looking Trek (and that ilk). But if you're going budget, Decathlon bikes are actually really quite decent. Well engineered, branded components that aren't scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Last edited by typical; Jul 27th 2011 at 9:22 pm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.