Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Bicycles - what to buy?

Bicycles - what to buy?

Old Jul 28th 2011, 7:11 am
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute
Question Bicycles - what to buy?

OK, need to buy 3 bikes for getting around while in the Highlands of sunny Scotland. None of us are passionate cyclists...more extreme couch surfers, unlike these dudes:
http://www.angelfire.com/ak2/intelli...yjLhw.facebook

What do we need to consider, what are the must haves and nice to haves. The bikes will only be used when we are home so not expensive stuff. One male and two females.
Old Jul 28th 2011, 7:43 am

WakeUp is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Bicycles - what to buy?

Originally Posted by Roadking
OK, need to buy 3 bikes for getting around while in the Highlands of sunny Scotland. None of us are passionate cyclists...more extreme couch surfers, unlike these dudes:
http://www.angelfire.com/ak2/intelli...yjLhw.facebook

What do we need to consider, what are the must haves and nice to haves. The bikes will only be used when we are home so not expensive stuff. One male and two females.
Loving the video, I thought he was going to bail when the dog ran in his path.
Old Jul 28th 2011, 7:49 am
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WakeUp
Loving the video, I thought he was going to bail when the dog ran in his path.
Yeah, it's very cool. I thought he had lost it when he climbs the wall, had visions of a major wipe out.
Old Jul 28th 2011, 7:58 am
Forum Regular

paca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nice

Need more info really but I can say this already

You don't need full suspension, even front suspension is just extra weight unless you are getting off the canal path into single track and mild downhill.

Weight is not a real problem unless you are doing alot of uphill for miles

Stay away from fancy looking disc brakes on sub £300 bikes, usually they are more hassle and the cheaper systems just break, see previous and if you are doing more downhill you need good hydrolic's

Halfords do some good deals on carrera ali frame with mid range components.

Smaller local bike shops can have decent second hand bikes for half price or less if your not worried about it being used, you can get a quality big name for sub £200

Online bike shops can be cheaper but you need to make sure you get the correct frame size. Also different bikes ride and feel different, try before you buy at a shop could be worth the £10 extra as well as the advice from salesman

Cheap bikes have cheap components, weigh up the cost of bike + upgrade vs buying a slightly better model right away

If you go to a smaller bike shop they usually offer upgrades at discount during purchase so you like the bike but want a better saddle? They will sell you new one as a discounted upgrade

Don't be tempted by ebay bargains unless you know what you are doing
Old Jul 28th 2011, 8:01 am
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

Are you going to be carrying luggage with you while cycling from point to point, or will you just drive / take the train to places and cycle circuits?

Will you be going offroad, cycling on tracks, cycling on unpaved roads, or sticking to paved roads throughout?

How important is comfort? How important is speed?
Old Jul 28th 2011, 8:04 am
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

In general, I highly recommend Decathlon for the cheap(ish)-but-good end of the market, and the Edinburgh Bike Co-op gets very good reviews if you're feeling a bit more flush.
Old Jul 28th 2011, 8:08 am
If I have to explain...

Originally Posted by paca
Need more info really but I can say this already

You don't need full suspension, even front suspension is just extra weight unless you are getting off the canal path into single track and mild downhill.

Weight is not a real problem unless you are doing alot of uphill for miles

Stay away from fancy looking disc brakes on sub £300 bikes, usually they are more hassle and the cheaper systems just break, see previous and if you are doing more downhill you need good hydrolic's

Halfords do some good deals on carrera ali frame with mid range components.

Smaller local bike shops can have decent second hand bikes for half price or less if your not worried about it being used, you can get a quality big name for sub £200

Online bike shops can be cheaper but you need to make sure you get the correct frame size. Also different bikes ride and feel different, try before you buy at a shop could be worth the £10 extra as well as the advice from salesman

Cheap bikes have cheap components, weigh up the cost of bike + upgrade vs buying a slightly better model right away

If you go to a smaller bike shop they usually offer upgrades at discount during purchase so you like the bike but want a better saddle? They will sell you new one as a discounted upgrade

Don't be tempted by ebay bargains unless you know what you are doing
Problem is there are very few cycle shops in the area and they tend to be expensive. Haven't found one with any 2nd hand stuff.

Most of the time it will be on road with some lightweight off road but on designated cycle tracks. Wanted to keep them under £200 each if possible as they will sit in the garage from one year to the next and get used for a few weeks during the summer.

Thanks for the info.
Old Jul 28th 2011, 8:10 am
If I have to explain...

Originally Posted by typical
Are you going to be carrying luggage with you while cycling from point to point, or will you just drive / take the train to places and cycle circuits?

Will you be going offroad, cycling on tracks, cycling on unpaved roads, or sticking to paved roads throughout?

How important is comfort? How important is speed?
Comfort is critical, speed not so much, I have my motorbike for that. No luggage apart from a rucksack and not long distances as none of us are exactly fit.

Again, thanks for the feedback. Will check out the Bike Co-op if it's online.
Old Jul 28th 2011, 8:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

You be careful out there:

Old Jul 28th 2011, 8:23 am
Forum Regular

paca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nice

look for something like this (ladies one)
http://www.scotbycycles.co.uk/bikes-...n=froogle#3529

mens
http://www.scotbycycles.co.uk/bikes-...nyx-2011-p1069

I know above budget but trek is top quality - you wont need upgrades
Old Jul 28th 2011, 8:27 am
Not an evil hypnotist

Originally Posted by Roadking
Comfort is critical, speed not so much, I have my motorbike for that. No luggage apart from a rucksack and not long distances as none of us are exactly fit.

Again, thanks for the feedback. Will check out the Bike Co-op if it's online.
Sounds like just about anything would do, though I'd be thinking about a road or hybrid bike. A tourer would be good in terms of comfort but they don't seem to be popular any more.

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ - but you're falling more in the Decathlon (or Halfords) end. Second hand may well be the way to go.
Old Jul 28th 2011, 8:32 am
If I have to explain...

Sounds like just about anything would do, though I'd be thinking about a road or hybrid bike. A tourer would be good in terms of comfort but they don't seem to be popular any more.

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ - but you're falling more in the Decathlon (or Halfords) end. Second hand may well be the way to go.
Yep, having a look at Decathlon now, cheers.
Old Jul 28th 2011, 8:33 am
If I have to explain...

Yep, having a look at Decathlon now, cheers.
Old Jul 28th 2011, 8:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

I think you should also check out:

http://www.bikes2udirect.com/B0883.html

You know it makes sense.
Old Jul 28th 2011, 8:45 am
If I have to explain...

Originally Posted by Millhouse
I think you should also check out:

http://www.bikes2udirect.com/B0883.html

You know it makes sense.
WANT ONE!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.