Bevvie run

Old May 29th 2010, 6:18 pm
  #1  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
the_red_sheep's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Downtown, Dubai
Posts: 782
the_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bevvie run

Okay, so I need to make my first booze run, probably next weekend, to get stocked up for the world cup (presuming Du pull the finger out and I can get it on the telly) and also to start getting the liver back to fighting condition prior to going to T in the Park.

The question's are which is better the Hole in the Wall or Barracuda's, and are they open on a Friday? I know where the HITW is (it was on the induction tour I was given by work!), but other than the directions from old posts I found not so sure about Barracuda's, other than spot the plane in the field and you're on the right tracks!!

Also, heard there is guy (or maybe more than one) who'll do the run for you, for a fee. Anyone have any experience of using him/them, do they have a minimum order value?

Ta
the_red_sheep is offline  
Old May 29th 2010, 7:10 pm
  #2  
If I have to explain...
 
Roadking's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Where ever the road takes me
Posts: 3,999
Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bevvie run

Originally Posted by abz_to_dbx View Post
Okay, so I need to make my first booze run, probably next weekend, to get stocked up for the world cup (presuming Du pull the finger out and I can get it on the telly) and also to start getting the liver back to fighting condition prior to going to T in the Park.

The question's are which is better the Hole in the Wall or Barracuda's, and are they open on a Friday? I know where the HITW is (it was on the induction tour I was given by work!), but other than the directions from old posts I found not so sure about Barracuda's, other than spot the plane in the field and you're on the right tracks!!

Also, heard there is guy (or maybe more than one) who'll do the run for you, for a fee. Anyone have any experience of using him/them, do they have a minimum order value?

Ta
Never been to HITW. Done the 'cuda a HUUUUGE number of times. It's not me, it's the wife, honest. Anyway, 'cuda is easy, straight up the Emirates Rd until the sign for Dreamland, take that junctions and follow the signs. It's basicaly a left under the road along the desert then turn right until you see the plane. Then turn left into the place.

There is a "supplier" who delivers. They need a recommend and minimum 1'200 order value. Plus 100 for delivery. Website to view and order, but you do need a sponsor. PM if interested.

This poster has no affiliation, relations...aw fewk it
Roadking is offline  
Old May 29th 2010, 9:19 pm
  #3  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Abu Dhabi
Posts: 1,800
Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bevvie run

Where is the best place in UAE to buy beer and wine? I'm using the one beside carrefour in abdab, how much would I need to spend to make it worthwhile going to somewhere else (I hear RAK is cheap). all things considered, 115 for 24 tiger isn't really that bad unless you really can save a fortune?
Brains1983 is offline  
Old May 30th 2010, 6:49 am
  #4  
Go on.. Pull my finger..
 
TGFKASE's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Dubai
Posts: 5,692
TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bevvie run

Originally Posted by Roadking View Post
Never been to HITW. Done the 'cuda a HUUUUGE number of times. It's not me, it's the wife, honest. Anyway, 'cuda is easy, straight up the Emirates Rd until the sign for Dreamland, take that junctions and follow the signs. It's basicaly a left under the road along the desert then turn right until you see the plane. Then turn left into the place.

There is a "supplier" who delivers. They need a recommend and minimum 1'200 order value. Plus 100 for delivery. Website to view and order, but you do need a sponsor. PM if interested.

This poster has no affiliation, relations...aw fewk it
RK, the website based place I use has a minimum order of 1500dhs, not 1200... Can you pm me with the website?

Did a run to 'cuda on Friday morning.. Place mobbed.. And no 'cuda bandit in sight.. As RK says, straight up Emirates Rd, turn off at Exit 103 (Dreamland), head for the coast and turn right before driving into the Gulf.. Left turn just after the plane..
TGFKASE is offline  
Old May 30th 2010, 7:03 am
  #5  
Powered by cows
 
Autonomy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: currently Dubai, ex UK
Posts: 4,581
Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bevvie run

Originally Posted by Brains1983 View Post
Where is the best place in UAE to buy beer and wine? I'm using the one beside carrefour in abdab, how much would I need to spend to make it worthwhile going to somewhere else (I hear RAK is cheap). all things considered, 115 for 24 tiger isn't really that bad unless you really can save a fortune?
Barracuda is tax free and cheap duty free prices. Biggest saving is on spirits, but if you're getting more than a few slabs of beer / a crate or more of wine - if you're spending about 1,000dhs then the savings are definitely worth the drive from Dubai...

From AD - not so sure as this will be a 4 hour round trip minimum...
Autonomy is offline  
Old May 30th 2010, 7:34 am
  #6  
If I have to explain...
 
Roadking's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Where ever the road takes me
Posts: 3,999
Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bevvie run

Originally Posted by TGFKASE View Post
RK, the website based place I use has a minimum order of 1500dhs, not 1200... Can you pm me with the website?

Did a run to 'cuda on Friday morning.. Place mobbed.. And no 'cuda bandit in sight.. As RK says, straight up Emirates Rd, turn off at Exit 103 (Dreamland), head for the coast and turn right before driving into the Gulf.. Left turn just after the plane..
You could be right, my orders are always over 2'000 AED...but, but I only order every once in a while....honest.

I think you gave me the site in the first place but I'll PM in case.
Roadking is offline  
Old May 30th 2010, 7:53 am
  #7  
Go on.. Pull my finger..
 
TGFKASE's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Dubai
Posts: 5,692
TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bevvie run

Originally Posted by Roadking View Post
You could be right, my orders are always over 2'000 AED...but, but I only order every once in a while....honest.

I think you gave me the site in the first place but I'll PM in case.
Yep, thats the one,.

Minimum order is 1500dhs.. but have to say I enjoyed trawling round the 'cuda. Cheaper than the website and obviously ended up buying more than I had planned to.. Damn impulses..!!!
TGFKASE is offline  
Old May 30th 2010, 10:16 am
  #8  
hnd
BE Forum Addict
 
hnd's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Muscat, Oman
Posts: 1,099
hnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bevvie run

Or there's an MMI about another 10mins or so up the road from Barracuda. Price examples: 24 x 500ml Grolsch/Kingfisher for 80dhs, 1ltr Grouse around 45dhs (cf 140dhs at a&e - in February), 1ltr Bombay Sapphire gin 50dhs, Wyndham Estates Shiraz 38dhs. Buy a case of anything and you get a bottle free.

Less busy at MMI than at Barracuda and no problems with the bandit. No licence required, either.

MMI is about 1k or so past the Spinneys at the Al Hamra Mall on the same side of the road as the mall. You have to drive past it and do a Uturn.
hnd is offline  
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 9:36 am
  #9  
Hit 16's
 
Bahtatboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Posts: 13,112
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bevvie run

Originally Posted by hnd View Post
Or there's an MMI about another 10mins or so up the road from Barracuda. Price examples: 24 x 500ml Grolsch/Kingfisher for 80dhs, 1ltr Grouse around 45dhs (cf 140dhs at a&e - in February), 1ltr Bombay Sapphire gin 50dhs, Wyndham Estates Shiraz 38dhs. Buy a case of anything and you get a bottle free.

Less busy at MMI than at Barracuda and no problems with the bandit. No licence required, either.

MMI is about 1k or so past the Spinneys at the Al Hamra Mall on the same side of the road as the mall. You have to drive past it and do a Uturn.
So far I've been buying at various places (including Spinneys) in AD, and since I don't buy so much the prices aren't so important. HOWEVER, with the World Cup coming up I'll probably stock up, and the MMI prices quoted above are damned cheap. Problem is, I always get lost as hell in Dubai--next time someone goes there would you check the coordinates on your satnav and post them here? Ta!
Bahtatboy is offline  
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 10:08 am
  #10  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 7,028
lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Bevvie run

Bought 24 bottles of wine at Bazzas on Tuesday, paid no more than Dhs20 for any of them. The manager says he is getting a new order of UK real ale this coming week. They already have Marstons Pedigree amongst others. Watch out for the camels strolling across the desert road from the Emirates Rd exit. Got held up by two herds and a troop of donkeys.
lionheart is offline  
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 8:20 pm
  #11  
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Eva's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 7,646
Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bevvie run

Originally Posted by lionheart View Post
Bought 24 bottles of wine at Bazzas on Tuesday, paid no more than Dhs20 for any of them. The manager says he is getting a new order of UK real ale this coming week. They already have Marstons Pedigree amongst others. Watch out for the camels strolling across the desert road from the Emirates Rd exit. Got held up by two herds and a troop of donkeys.



Bastardos, did they get away with the full two dozen?
Eva is offline  
Old Jun 4th 2010, 7:19 am
  #12  
If I have to explain...
 
Roadking's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Where ever the road takes me
Posts: 3,999
Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bevvie run

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy View Post
So far I've been buying at various places (including Spinneys) in AD, and since I don't buy so much the prices aren't so important. HOWEVER, with the World Cup coming up I'll probably stock up, and the MMI prices quoted above are damned cheap. Problem is, I always get lost as hell in Dubai--next time someone goes there would you check the coordinates on your satnav and post them here? Ta!
Well, if you come to Dubai to find the 'Cuda, it's no wonder you get lost...it's t'other side of Sharjah!

Really is easy to find though. I won't be going until August but if you google Dreamland Aqua Park, that might give you the coordinates and it's in the same place...nearly (next door).
Roadking is offline  
Old Jun 5th 2010, 11:41 am
  #13  
Hit 16's
 
Bahtatboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Posts: 13,112
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bevvie run

Originally Posted by Roadking View Post
Well, if you come to Dubai to find the 'Cuda, it's no wonder you get lost...it's t'other side of Sharjah!

Really is easy to find though. I won't be going until August but if you google Dreamland Aqua Park, that might give you the coordinates and it's in the same place...nearly (next door).
Thanks RK. I'll call you when I get to Al Ain...
Bahtatboy is offline  
Old Jun 6th 2010, 7:37 am
  #14  
MODERATOR
 
Norm_uk's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: Dubai
Posts: 6,271
Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bevvie run

You know if you drive to AD and go to the place behind Carrefour on Airport Road you're not likely to be asked for a license and don't have to worry about driving through Sharjah....
Norm_uk is offline  
Old Jun 6th 2010, 1:58 pm
  #15  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Abu Dhabi
Posts: 77
Birdeez is a name known to allBirdeez is a name known to allBirdeez is a name known to allBirdeez is a name known to allBirdeez is a name known to allBirdeez is a name known to allBirdeez is a name known to allBirdeez is a name known to allBirdeez is a name known to allBirdeez is a name known to allBirdeez is a name known to all
Default Re: Bevvie run

There's a new Spinney's one opened in Mussaffah as well which is pretty good and they don't ask for a license. It's near ICAD.
Birdeez is offline  

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.