Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Bet this has gone down well over there!

Bet this has gone down well over there!

Old Dec 2nd 2009, 11:43 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bet this has gone down well over there!

Originally Posted by littlejimmy
With the drums on the Eastenders tune people might mistake it for gunfire.
that would be ' MIDDLEASTENDERS' then
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 5:27 pm
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
Church bells are not unpleasant to hear to be honest - musical and the engineering to get those huge bells up in the spires in the middle ages was impressive.

However I would support a limiting of church bells...but not a complete ban because they form part of our heritage and history. I am an athiest yet I love to visit old churches because of their beauty and charm. They form part of my history...the same as stone henge or the houses of parliament.

Banning all religion won't work because we'll probably end up with the state as our religion like the Soviets had or North Korea does today. Better to just constitutionally seperate the two in no uncertain terms - make it clear religion will have no special treatment, tax free status or money from taxpayers. All religious schools should be banned though - people who want to brainwash children should be limited to sunday school or the equivalent. Ban all religious dress and symbols in courts, the military and places of governance and schooling and be done with it.

N.
you see, i think the islamic calls to prayer are also musical and religious architecture of whichever denomination fascinating... I love to visit and admire all of it for what it is - a huge statement of the aspirations of a society, as well as saying a lot about the socio-economic climate of the time.

The big English churches were built off the back of the prosperous wool-trade, tiny, but beautiful synagogues in Cordoba speak of a people trying to hang on to their identity in troubled times... what message do you think castrated mosques will say about a so-called modern, tolerant society?

As for the second part of your comment - France has done just that for slightly over 150 years. State and religion are completely separated, even though it is still a fairly religious population. No religious education, no assemblies and no religious dress is allowed in state schools. Private religious schools do exist though. Also Protestant churches are called "Temples"... most of my school friends (I went to school in a rural area of France - the first foreigner and first non-catholic many had ever seen) didn't know there was any other form of Christianity than Catholicism, but hey... most only did their Confirmation to get lots of presents.

I digress...

Last edited by Hello.Kitty; Dec 2nd 2009 at 6:43 pm. Reason: a bit of clarification needed!
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 6:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

I had a conversation at work today between myself (britsh atheist), one devout muslim, one hindu and another not so devout muslim.

rather than banning things why can't everyone just accept that everyone is different? How can we expect all the hatred and racism to end when people are divided by who they pray to? Whether you be Muslim, Hindu, Catholic, Christian or Jewish surely we should be able to accept each other for individuals rather than sticking people into a religious shaped pigeon hole.

Personally I like to live in a melting pot of cultures and am always interested in learning the histories of various cultures, it is lack of education and underdstanding that keeps breeding the racist hatred that is so current. I think its a very sad state of affairs when in Western countries people are so closed minded that we are unable to embrace each other no matter what their religion.

For religious individuals the significance of symbols is important- as much as the crucifix to a christian. If a muslim finds a minaret symbolic to their religion why should they be denied that just because a more than likely uneducated population encouraged by a narrowminded voice( more than likely press) has become digruntled by it. Personally i believe this is a step closer to finding religious segregation acceptable within a community. Surely life for everyone would be so much better if we could all get along together and accept we all have different beliefs and neither one or the other is right or wrong, its just a personel preference.

It seems we are far from Eutopia.

A big step backwards in my opinion.

KC

Last edited by kittycat1; Dec 2nd 2009 at 6:27 pm.
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 2:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kittycat1
I had a conversation at work today between myself (britsh atheist), one devout muslim, one hindu and another not so devout muslim.

rather than banning things why can't everyone just accept that everyone is different? How can we expect all the hatred and racism to end when people are divided by who they pray to? Whether you be Muslim, Hindu, Catholic, Christian or Jewish surely we should be able to accept each other for individuals rather than sticking people into a religious shaped pigeon hole.

Personally I like to live in a melting pot of cultures and am always interested in learning the histories of various cultures, it is lack of education and underdstanding that keeps breeding the racist hatred that is so current. I think its a very sad state of affairs when in Western countries people are so closed minded that we are unable to embrace each other no matter what their religion.

For religious individuals the significance of symbols is important- as much as the crucifix to a christian. If a muslim finds a minaret symbolic to their religion why should they be denied that just because a more than likely uneducated population encouraged by a narrowminded voice( more than likely press) has become digruntled by it. Personally i believe this is a step closer to finding religious segregation acceptable within a community. Surely life for everyone would be so much better if we could all get along together and accept we all have different beliefs and neither one or the other is right or wrong, its just a personel preference.

KC

Singapore is full of Mosques as it has a significant Muslim population (mainly Malays and Indonesians). the vast majority do not have Minarets.

Nobody is stopping them building mosques in Switzerland.
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 9:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kittycat1

KC
I'd like to emphasize BOTH or better said ALL have to be tolerant and accepting.

I also think the West has been tolerant and accepting,to the point that PC has taken over to an almost ridiculous amount.

Maybe having lived in the ME has opened my eyes to the point that I am less and less tolerant....oh geez, one wonders why...
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 10:35 am
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alexa
I'd like to emphasize BOTH or better said ALL have to be tolerant and accepting.

I also think the West has been tolerant and accepting,to the point that PC has taken over to an almost ridiculous amount.

Maybe having lived in the ME has opened my eyes to the point that I am less and less tolerant....oh geez, one wonders why...
Precisely!
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 12:31 pm
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

PC isn't being tolerant though - I feel it actually emphasises intolerance by creating "positive discrimination". Real tolerance would be to simply not give a monkeys and let people get on with it.

When I was in London, they'd send me an ethnicity form for renewing my parking permit - I mean, wtf has ethnicity got to do with a parking space?! The first year I gave them a brief(ish) paragraph on my ancestry (file that, suckers!) and second year, crossed the form out and put "no change since last year".
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 1:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty
PC isn't being tolerant though - I feel it actually emphasises intolerance by creating "positive discrimination". Real tolerance would be to simply not give a monkeys and let people get on with it.

When I was in London, they'd send me an ethnicity form for renewing my parking permit - I mean, wtf has ethnicity got to do with a parking space?! The first year I gave them a brief(ish) paragraph on my ancestry (file that, suckers!) and second year, crossed the form out and put "no change since last year".
Question is, how has all the "PC ness" come to exist? Because tolerance was not enough for some? Because living in a democratic country all of a sudden has given way to 'overindulge" ? (note, I did not use the term abuse )
And then throwing your dummy out of the pram was a good way to get even more? And if that was not the case, how about crying "racism " or "discrimination" ?
And our "respected " leaders in their little ivory towers fearing bad rep or press if they do not comply......ah yes, the rightwingers are laughing,getting more powerful by the day . Who's fault is that? lol

Tell you what I think...if the ones making the laws would actually have to live with them, they a. would NEVER come to pass or there would only be rightwing politicians...
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 3:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

benzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond repute

Never be so tolerant that you tolerate intolerance.
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 3:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by benzonar
Never be so tolerant that you tolerate intolerance.
Or so open minded, your brain falls out of your head.....Thing is ,a lot of people have none to begin with.
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 5:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute

Alexa- what is this mysterious PC that haunts your days?
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 7:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by seven seas
Alexa- what is this mysterious PC that haunts your days?
Political correctness and the "over use" of it seven seas....have you heard of it?
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 7:23 pm

rowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond repute

Political correctness and the "over use" of it seven seas....have you heard of it?
Dont.t rise to the bait 7 seas is bitter n twisted...........look at his posts nothing good to say about anything or anyone
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 7:42 pm
ex-expat

Question is, how has all the "PC ness" come to exist? Because tolerance was not enough for some? Because living in a democratic country all of a sudden has given way to 'overindulge" ? (note, I did not use the term abuse )
And then throwing your dummy out of the pram was a good way to get even more? And if that was not the case, how about crying "racism " or "discrimination" ?
And our "respected " leaders in their little ivory towers fearing bad rep or press if they do not comply......ah yes, the rightwingers are laughing,getting more powerful by the day . Who's fault is that? lol

Tell you what I think...if the ones making the laws would actually have to live with them, they a. would NEVER come to pass or there would only be rightwing politicians...
My personal theory is that it's all down to a weird guilt trip on the part of our invariably middle-aged "leaders" - they still have the echoes of WWII, the first wave of immigration to the UK, etc. Heck, those born in the 1940s and 1950s find racial and sexual stereotyping funny and can be downright embarassing with their vehement adherence to any sensationalist headlines where non-white/non-christian people are getting "one up" over good, hard-working folks...

They haven't quite understood that those issues will pass away with them, if only they stopped creating more means of comparison. I'd venture so far to say that [educated] people of my generation hardly blink at the kind of difference that is highlighted by our anti-discrimination laws.

Of course, on the other side, well, if something totally legal was out there that put you in a preferential position/ free money/ extra perks/ extra protection... well... can you honestly say you wouldn't use it to your own ends?
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 7:52 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

I'm agnostic so I suppose in some peoples' eyes that makes me weak but I do my own thing,live my life by my own code.
My code is simple. Live and let live and...it's nice to be nice, it costs you nothing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.