Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

BBC iPlayer - VPN proofed?

BBC iPlayer - VPN proofed?

Old Oct 13th 2010, 12:29 am
Just Joined

rmcboyle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default BBC iPlayer - VPN proofed?

Anyone else having this problem? BBC iPlayer used to work a treat through the VPN. Not any more it seems. Maybe it's just a glitch but I fear the worst.
Old Oct 13th 2010, 4:22 am
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BBC iPlayer - VPN proofed?

Originally Posted by rmcboyle
Anyone else having this problem? BBC iPlayer used to work a treat through the VPN. Not any more it seems. Maybe it's just a glitch but I fear the worst.
Worked fine for me last night. The BBC can't VPN-proof the iPlayer. All they can do is ban certain IPs belong to your VPN provider who should, if they're any good, simply change IPs to another set.
Old Oct 13th 2010, 4:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by csdf
Worked fine for me last night. The BBC can't VPN-proof the iPlayer. All they can do is ban certain IPs belong to your VPN provider who should, if they're any good, simply change IPs to another set.
All ok for us. Apart from the news... where we only got sound but I assumed that was their problem not mine.
Old Oct 13th 2010, 4:57 am
Forum Regular

George Holmer Kenya has much to be proud ofGeorge Holmer Kenya has much to be proud ofGeorge Holmer Kenya has much to be proud ofGeorge Holmer Kenya has much to be proud ofGeorge Holmer Kenya has much to be proud ofGeorge Holmer Kenya has much to be proud ofGeorge Holmer Kenya has much to be proud ofGeorge Holmer Kenya has much to be proud ofGeorge Holmer Kenya has much to be proud ofGeorge Holmer Kenya has much to be proud ofGeorge Holmer Kenya has much to be proud of

What I have found is that if you let the iPlayer stay on in the background with the VPN switched off, it deletes any downloaded programs.
Old Oct 13th 2010, 5:11 am
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by George Holmer Kenya
What I have found is that if you let the iPlayer stay on in the background with the VPN switched off, it deletes any downloaded programs.
Yep - I've definitely noticed that.
Old Oct 13th 2010, 5:35 am
Just Joined

rambar is an unknown quantity at this point

Could one of you kindly send me the details for the VPN provider you use? It would be most appreciated. Thanks
Old Oct 13th 2010, 5:52 am
Forum Regular

George Holmer Kenya has much to be proud ofGeorge Holmer Kenya has much to be proud ofGeorge Holmer Kenya has much to be proud ofGeorge Holmer Kenya has much to be proud ofGeorge Holmer Kenya has much to be proud ofGeorge Holmer Kenya has much to be proud ofGeorge Holmer Kenya has much to be proud ofGeorge Holmer Kenya has much to be proud ofGeorge Holmer Kenya has much to be proud ofGeorge Holmer Kenya has much to be proud ofGeorge Holmer Kenya has much to be proud of

I use Happy VPN. No idea if they are the best but it works well for me.

www.happy-vpn.com
Old Oct 13th 2010, 8:11 am
Gold-Helmeted Member

captainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond repute

I tend to avoid the Iplayer application, and instead just browser the iplayer web site and then click the download link and download the files as .wmv format.

Then the first time you run them on your machine, you need the VPN connected as it does a DRM check to get a license for it. If you don't have the VPN on, it'll give you a media rights error. But once you've done this (just viewed the first two seconds of the video) then those files should be good for a week or so. You can even click to run them without having your VPN on and they'll work.
Old Oct 13th 2010, 8:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by captainflack
I tend to avoid the Iplayer application, and instead just browser the iplayer web site and then click the download link and download the files as .wmv format.

Then the first time you run them on your machine, you need the VPN connected as it does a DRM check to get a license for it. If you don't have the VPN on, it'll give you a media rights error. But once you've done this (just viewed the first two seconds of the video) then those files should be good for a week or so. You can even click to run them without having your VPN on and they'll work.
... and the next step is to download FairUse4WM 1.3 and use the DRM key you have to remove it off the file forever...
Old Oct 14th 2010, 5:09 pm
Just Joined

rmcboyle is an unknown quantity at this point

I resolved my iPlayer problem. It was weird. With VPN off, the iplayer site loaded properly but obviously I couldn't access or download content. With the VPN connected, the iplayer page wouldn't load properly with thumnails missing and errors all over the place.

Managed to resolve all by applying the ultimate IT solution to my router. (Switch off - switch on).

Happy days.
Old Oct 14th 2010, 5:13 pm
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute

I use Happy VPN. No idea if they are the best but it works well for me.

www.happy-vpn.com
It is best to PM people with VPN information rather than write the URLs in the forum, as in some countries the URLs may later be blocked.
Old Oct 30th 2010, 4:32 pm
Banned

twisty100 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by rambar
Could one of you kindly send me the details for the VPN provider you use? It would be most appreciated. Thanks
Hey Rambar, www.***************** works fine.
Old Oct 30th 2010, 6:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by twisty100
Hey Rambar, www.***************** works fine.
Yeah, nice one....... Try private messaging your suggestions because, even though you're trying to help, you're also making it very easy for the internet service providers to now block that website too.
Old Oct 30th 2010, 7:57 pm
hnd
BE Forum Addict

hnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond repute

Where can I find that icon 'banging head against brick wall'?

Pleeeease don't give names of v p n s on open forums. As Bigtaff says you're creating more problems than you're trying to help solve.

Same with ssskkkyyyppeee solutions.
Old Oct 31st 2010, 3:06 am
Just Joined

home5 is an unknown quantity at this point

do you know free vpn web site ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.