Baling Out ?

Old May 29th 2020, 2:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Baling Out ?

https://asiatimes.com/2020/05/expat-...dus-from-gulf/

I learned much from my years in KSA over the period 1970 to 2014. I saw Jeddah and the rest of "Al-Mamluka" undergo transformations that no one could imagine.

Difficult times ahead, and I am glad that I am no longer involve in what will be catastrophic changes.
Old May 29th 2020, 7:16 pm
Forum Regular

Trailing_Hubby will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Baling Out ?

Ah, we've picked the best time to head out to Riyadh then!
Old May 29th 2020, 9:34 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

"The Gulf aviation industry, which employs mainly middle-class expatriates, is expected to see job losses up to 800,000 in the coming period, the International Air Transport Association said."

That figure can't be right surely ?
Old May 30th 2020, 12:22 am
BE Enthusiast

martinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond repute

Not just in the Gulf, I doubt there are anything like that many employees in total. Globally, seems high, but maybe not impossible, several airlines have announced lay-offs in the tens of thousands, and that's a first cut, could go deeper yet.

Creaking Thai Airways has recently filed for protection and has said it may never pay ticket refunds for cancelled flights. This is an airline that previously held closely guarded state enterprise status, basically a golden chequebook. Lots of other aviation related cutback stories. I understand Qatar Airways crew cuts are likely to be very deep and the knock on is right through even the government operated air navigation service. This in the face of the need to finish several key projects that are on super tight timescales with no deferral or delay options, 2022.

I think we all know the aviation business can expect to see a fair sized drop in its potential customer base over the next couple of years, that's going to see fares increase 15-20% and maybe as high as 50% and more in some cases. Luckily (?) I'm at the end of my life cycle so this one last big one should see me through until I no longer want to work 6-7 days a week

Old May 30th 2020, 1:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

When I worked for Saudi Arabian Airlines (1996-2002) their global workforce was between 26,000 and 28,000. Mich of that was deadwood. The airline was used by Prince SAuyltan as a source oif patronage. I cabbot see how that figure of 800,o00 is credublke unless it takes in all jobs dependent on aviation throughout the region. One zero too many ?
Old May 30th 2020, 4:46 pm
On a grand tour

tooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, I would agree with you Scot - 80,000 not 800,000.
Old May 30th 2020, 7:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sorry for the tyoipos !
Old Jun 3rd 2020, 2:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

HiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond repute

It's 46 today in Riyadh and its only just turned June. At least I'm not in the humidity of the gulf with a river of sweat running down my back. I guess we are in for yet another 50+ summer. Although there are many economic reasons for leaving the region the environment must be a factor particularly for the healthy outdoor types. I see nobody posting from Kuwait which must have the worst weather, although I'm certain you will all have your personal candidate for that title. According to current thinking the region will be totally uninhabitable in less than 30 years, so I guess we are all leaving at some point. Given that the region will become uninhabitable to different nationalities at different times. I have tried to predict an order of exit although welcome your comments and or corrections. The destinations of many of those toward the top of the list is predictable but less so for those near to the bottom. Will Mars look more viable by 2100?
https://gizmodo.com/extreme-heat-wil...afr-1774311994
Yanks (including Canadians)
Western Europeans
Eastern Europeans
Southern Europeans
Brits (I include the safas and kiwis with second passports)
South Americans
Arabs (the ones with a Canadian passports)
Philippines
Indians (I include all of it regardless of modernity)
Africans (I include Arabs without Canadian passports)
https://u.ae/en/about-the-uae/uae-future

Last edited by HiHo; Jun 3rd 2020 at 2:56 pm.
Old Jun 4th 2020, 10:26 am
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute

The post-Brexit Brits more desperate than the continental Europeans.
Old Jun 4th 2020, 12:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wait till the full force of Brexit plus Covid-19-Recession hits. i am glad that I am getting toward the end of my time here on Terra !