Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Bali death sentence for English grannny

Bali death sentence for English grannny

Old Dec 16th 2013, 3:35 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bali death sentence for English grannny

Originally Posted by mikewot
Lets not sweat the small stuff The big issue really is the 'war on drugs' so lets think heroin, cocaine, MDMA and cannabis.
The drugs trade seem to be so far ahead of the law it is impossible for them to win any war against drugs. That cop in the video spoke a lot of sense imo.

I agree with his point that if you want to do some drugs their illegality isn't going to make a difference and conversely if you don't then their legality won't encourage you to do it anyhow.It's just treating people as adults and education is the only way, people can make informed choices based on the information.

The drugs which were popular when I was growing up such as acid, speed, and ecstasy in its original form (MDMA) have pretty much disappeared, or are hard to get now.
They have been replaced with stuff like ketamine and mephedrone, and lots of derivatives that are usually legal for a while before the law gets around to making them illegal.
People should set aside their personal or moral feelings on the subject and take a pragmatic view instead.
Old Dec 16th 2013, 3:40 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
People should set aside their personal or moral feelings on the subject and take a pragmatic view instead.
Exactly where I am and why I posted.
Old Dec 16th 2013, 3:40 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Myusernamewastaken
What if someone's ex partner is a "frequent but not excessive" heroin user and because it is legal it plays no effect if there is a question of custody of a child that they have together?
I would imagine the court would treat that information the same way as if they were told the partner was a heavy drinker. Custody of a child is a civil case not a criminal case, so it's about balance of reasonableness taking all factors into account.
Old Dec 16th 2013, 3:44 am
Knee deep and rising

Originally Posted by mikewot
Exactly where I am and why I posted.
Uruguay just completely legalised cannabis from growth to use last week, so as a country sized test case it will be interesting to see how it goes.
Old Dec 16th 2013, 4:09 am
BE Enthusiast

the_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond repute

Where are the drugs supposed to be consumed? I wouldn't want my next door neighbour to chain smoke marijuana or throw heroin parties for that matter and especially, not being able to do anything about it.

What if someone's ex partner is a "frequent but not excessive" heroin user and because it is legal it plays no effect if there is a question of custody of a child that they have together?
I think you’d be surprised at how many ‘functioning’ drug addicts there are out there – people who hold done good jobs and to all intents and purposes lead normal lives but at the same are regularly users of heroin, cocaine and such like. I’ve personally heard of several cases of people who have been 20+ year heroin addicts, and during that whole time have been in full time employment, and living a normal life with no criminal record, other than for a few periods a day when they have a fix - much like a smoker taking a few breaks a day for a ciggie.

The argument can be made that if heroin, for example, was decriminalised and made available via controlled, licensed pharmacies you would very quickly undermine the illegal market in it, and in turn the crime at all levels - from high level drug import gangs, to petty street level dealing and theft – would be reduced. The real danger of drugs when they are illegal and underground is that people are forced into that underworld environment to obtain them and can then be dragged into it full time to sustain their habit. Plus the drugs are cut with all sorts which makes them much more dangerous, again something which could be eradicated through licensing and control.

Ultimately, the outlawing of drugs does not work anywhere, no matter what the level of punishment is handed out, and the ‘war on drugs’ is failing at great expense.
Old Dec 16th 2013, 7:07 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the_red_sheep
I think you’d be surprised at how many ‘functioning’ drug addicts there are out there – people who hold done good jobs and to all intents and purposes lead normal lives but at the same are regularly users of heroin, cocaine and such like. I’ve personally heard of several cases of people who have been 20+ year heroin addicts, and during that whole time have been in full time employment, and living a normal life with no criminal record, other than for a few periods a day when they have a fix - much like a smoker taking a few breaks a day for a ciggie.

The argument can be made that if heroin, for example, was decriminalised and made available via controlled, licensed pharmacies you would very quickly undermine the illegal market in it, and in turn the crime at all levels - from high level drug import gangs, to petty street level dealing and theft – would be reduced. The real danger of drugs when they are illegal and underground is that people are forced into that underworld environment to obtain them and can then be dragged into it full time to sustain their habit. Plus the drugs are cut with all sorts which makes them much more dangerous, again something which could be eradicated through licensing and control.

Ultimately, the outlawing of drugs does not work anywhere, no matter what the level of punishment is handed out, and the ‘war on drugs’ is failing at great expense.
I took cocaine for 3/4 years 2 or 3 nights a week whilst being a branch manager for a big high street recruiter. Sure I turned up tired once or twice but it never got in the way of my work. The people who tend to struggle with drugs are the ones that have nothing to get up for, so instead of getting showered throwing on a suit and being busy for 12 hours they sit at home and take more drugs to escape their rather sad existence. These are the people we need to protect more.

That said they are probably the ones who also drink 4 litres of frosty jack cider in the day and thats not banned.
Old Dec 16th 2013, 8:59 am
BE Enthusiast

the_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britexpat76
I took cocaine for 3/4 years 2 or 3 nights a week whilst being a branch manager for a big high street recruiter. Sure I turned up tired once or twice but it never got in the way of my work. The people who tend to struggle with drugs are the ones that have nothing to get up for, so instead of getting showered throwing on a suit and being busy for 12 hours they sit at home and take more drugs to escape their rather sad existence. These are the people we need to protect more.

That said they are probably the ones who also drink 4 litres of frosty jack cider in the day and thats not banned.
I’ve worked with, been friends with and know of people who have done similar, sometimes to a greater degree and with more than just coke. Some of them like you stopped, some of them still do it, some of them are dead.

I agree about people who are in the position of having nothing else to do. But, I also think some people know their limit and when to dial it back. Others always have to try to push the boundaries and do a little more, invariable they are the dead ones.
Old Dec 16th 2013, 12:46 pm
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

For me there is a lot to think about. I have always vehemently opposed drugs and in my job(s) would never consider using them (apart from the random drug testing). However things can't go on as they are, something has got to give. And it's not the drug (mis)users who will give up.
Old Dec 16th 2013, 3:52 pm
Forum Regular

Myusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really nice

Hard drugs: I can't really take such a discussion seriously. I can only send my regrets that someone here most likely had cocaine in their bloodstream for around 3 years while working. It's not like alcohol that gets out of the bloodstream within hours. Never thought of its long term effects and the possibility for an OD? I don't think that any judge would care too much about an adult having a glass of wine a few times a week.

Soft drugs: As of today, even in the most regulated countries in that regard, non smokers still have to put up with cigarette smoke. When walking around town, in one's own apartment when opening the window etc. That might be livable but I wouldn't want pot smoke instead. It would make it effectively hard for people to avoid being in environments where cannabis is used. Tell an 18 year old that they don't need to accept facebook's perhaps dodgy terms and conditions. Doable, just avoid using it - or avoid the party - but it would probably seriously hampen that person's social life. In the same way, I would't want any colleague to have cannabis in their bloodstream while working.

I don't know if it's a good idea but what about: making licensed production and selling of most drugs legal but to keep the use if it illegal?
Old Dec 16th 2013, 4:01 pm
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough

Coke only stays in your bloodstream for 48 hours maximum. With pot it's 2 weeks.
Old Dec 16th 2013, 4:14 pm
Forum Regular

Myusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really nice

Coke only stays in your bloodstream for 48 hours maximum
I read up to 72 hours for cocaine but using it 2 or 3 nights a week I don't know how someone would manage to get that out of the bloodstream working presumably 5 consecutive days a week?

How easy is it to find soft and hard drugs in the UAE compared to let's say the UK? How widespread is the use of drugs in the UAE compared to lets say again the UK as a reference?
Old Dec 16th 2013, 4:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

How easy is it to find soft and hard drugs in the UAE compared to let's say the UK? How widespread is the use of drugs in the UAE compared to lets say again the UK as a reference?
It is mega easy to get soft & recreational drugs in the UK. Obviously dependent on what you want but something like weed is super easy. I don't think you realise how prevalent weed usage in the UK actually is.

UAE its moderately easily doable I expect but why would you risk it? Not worth the consequences.

As for the usage here, it's a lot more than most think it is, especially in the yokal community, although they abuse prescription drugs mostly. As with anything negative here, you'll never find out the real figures.
Old Dec 16th 2013, 4:44 pm
Forum Regular

UAE its moderately easily doable I expect but why would you risk it? Not worth the consequences.
Thanks, interesting. It seems like stiff penalties are a deterrent after all.
Old Dec 16th 2013, 5:39 pm
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough

Also I might add, cocaine IS NOT addictive per se, as in heroin (or excessive alcohol) is and you get ill if you stop using it, the same doesn't happen with cocaine.

As for the admission, so what, he's not the only one to have done it and he's not been (obviously) harmed by it.

Unless coke makes you bald... ;-)
Old Dec 16th 2013, 5:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kix
Also I might add, cocaine IS NOT addictive per se, as in heroin (or excessive alcohol) is and you get ill if you stop using it, the same doesn't happen with cocaine.

As for the admission, so what, he's not the only one to have done it and he's not been (obviously) harmed by it.

Unless coke makes you bald... ;-)
Genetics make you bald.

Withdrawing from Heroin is less traumatic than giving up alcohol or nicottene.

If you're simple minded, then anything is addictive, including sugar.

<meh>

Last edited by Bob; Dec 17th 2013 at 1:19 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.