Baby Stuff

Old Jun 14th 2011, 12:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Baby Stuff

I'll apologise for posting this here and not in the snakepit (to coin a phrase from Hello.Kitty)

After the problems with last years pregnancy, my wife and I are now happily 22 weeks gone and looking forward to having our wee boy in October I'm slowly adjusting myself from being out on the lash at the weekend, to being at home and providing support to my hormonal wife. It's not as bad as it may sound.

We've been very lucky and had plenty friends here donate baby clothes, maternity clothes (for wife and not me), cots, toys, etc, etc. I can't complain as it has saved us a small fortune.

However, I've just been looking at the prices for the things you push them around in. For something that has the baby seat + adapter for car, stroller, moses basket (a new term for me), etc, etc, that will do them from birth through to 18Kg, we're looking at between 4 and 5k AED. WTF! Is that the normal sort of price for this stuff, or is it another additional cost for the middle east?

We're going back to the UK in July, and wondering if it will be much cheaper to get it there?

Could the mothers on this forum help me out?

Also, Philllps had this baby monitor thing with a camera/LCD display, for about 1400 AED, my frame of thought is that if it's dark we can't see anything so no point in buying it, or am I supposed to leave the light on when he's sleeping?

What about the thermometer, there was a load of options on ones that you put in his mouth, or on his forehead or in his ear? What's the best way of doing it?

And, against my better judgement for asking, we've also been donated a breast pump, and had mixed opinions on whether it's something my wife can use safely again (it will be sterilized!). Or whether we should one new. My head says it'll be fine if it's properly sterilized, what's the consensus?

Most of the other stuff is easily affordable and we are buying it up on a week by week basis.

Jesus, was I as much trouble as a nipper?
Old Jun 14th 2011, 12:48 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: Baby Stuff

Originally Posted by Brains1983
I'll apologise for posting this here and not in the snakepit (to coin a phrase from Hello.Kitty)

After the problems with last years pregnancy, my wife and I are now happily 22 weeks gone and looking forward to having our wee boy in October I'm slowly adjusting myself from being out on the lash at the weekend, to being at home and providing support to my hormonal wife. It's not as bad as it may sound.

We've been very lucky and had plenty friends here donate baby clothes, maternity clothes (for wife and not me), cots, toys, etc, etc. I can't complain as it has saved us a small fortune.

However, I've just been looking at the prices for the things you push them around in. For something that has the baby seat + adapter for car, stroller, moses basket (a new term for me), etc, etc, that will do them from birth through to 18Kg, we're looking at between 4 and 5k AED. WTF! Is that the normal sort of price for this stuff, or is it another additional cost for the middle east?

We're going back to the UK in July, and wondering if it will be much cheaper to get it there?

Also, Philllps had this baby monitor thing with a camera/LCD display, for about 1400 AED, my frame of thought is that if it's dark we can't see anything so no point in buying it, or am I supposed to leave the light on when he's sleeping?

What about the thermometer, there was a load of options on ones that you put in his mouth, or on his forehead or in his ear? What's the best way of doing it?

And, against my better judgement for asking, we've also been donated a breast pump, and had mixed opinions on whether it's something my wife can use safely again (it will be sterilized!). Or whether we should one new. My head says it'll be fine if it's properly sterilized, what's the consensus?

Most of the other stuff is easily affordable and we are buying it up on a week by week basis.

I'm not any use, but I'm printing this post and framing it. Whenever I think about kids I'll just read it.
Old Jun 14th 2011, 12:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
I'm not any use, but I'm printing this post and framing it. Whenever I think about kids I'll just read it.
These are just the questions that seem obvious to me, I can't imagine the problems I'll have after the sprog is oot!
Old Jun 14th 2011, 1:06 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

These are just the questions that seem obvious to me, I can't imagine the problems I'll have after the sprog is oot!
One thing I can tell you is that sterilizing things will soon wear off.

My sister has three kids;

1st - Everything was sterilized after being touched by anyone other than her or the baby. Microwaved in water / treated / disinfected to within an inch of it's physical stability.

2nd - Some stuff would be sterilized, other bits would be washed quick, dummy went in her mouth then back in the baby's.

3rd - Wiped on jumper, given straight back.
Old Jun 14th 2011, 1:10 pm
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

However, I've just been looking at the prices for the things you push them around in. For something that has the baby seat + adapter for car, stroller, moses basket (a new term for me), etc, etc, that will do them from birth through to 18Kg, we're looking at between 4 and 5k AED. WTF! Is that the normal sort of price for this stuff, or is it another additional cost for the middle east?cheaper in UK

no need for camera the one with out is grand

What about the thermometer, there was a load of options on ones that you put in his mouth, or on his forehead or in his ear? What's the best way of doing it?ear are tricky to get accurate result, forehead strips total waste of time, get a digital one with flexitip and use underarm

And, against my better judgement for asking, we've also been donated a breast pump, and had mixed opinions on whether it's something my wife can use safely again (it will be sterilized!). Or whether we should one new. My head says it'll be fine if it's properly sterilized, what's the consensus?depending on type it may be possible to keep the mechanism and just buy new silicon bits etc. or just steam the shit out of it

its a non stop wallet emptying exercise
Old Jun 14th 2011, 1:16 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

lol...

I guess it's a very personal thing, but why do you think you need a baby monitor thing...you can actually go check in person every once in a while...

breast pump...another thing that you might not even need...see first how your wife (and the baby) like the whole breast feeding thing...some first time mums are determined to do it but it doesn't always work out the way they hope...so no need to worry about pumps.
I've had 4 kids, all breast fed them and never went near a pump (cringe) so it is possible not to use them. But yeah, sterilized is clean, so no worries there.

Just in general, try not to go overboard with feeling that you have to buy everything that is on the market...babies are huge business and companies are keen to tap into the insecurity of 1 time parents, trying to make you feel like if you haven't got this that and the other you are a crap parent...
Old Jun 14th 2011, 1:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

those prices look about on a par with the uk, it isn't cheap this baby lark...if you think you might have a second kid, strongly recommend the phil and teds, it's great for one, and absolutely superb for two...

we looked at the tv monitor but after researching it, decided it wasn't that good...mh, if you live in a house where you can't hear the baby if it's upstairs and you are downstairs, then a monitor is essential, i wouldn't have been without mine...

whatever you do, don't be conned into buying one of those nappy bin things...yuk yuk yuk, vile...

steriliser is needed if the baby is bottle fed, but don't think you need to sterilise anything else...

oh, and highly recommend the stokke high chair, although that's some way into the future...

MM, xx
Old Jun 14th 2011, 2:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to all

The tv monitor is a waste of money. you can only just see what position the baby is in (if you leave the landing light on) - you'll certainly hear when the baby is upset - monitors just mean you hear it in stereo. TV signal is pretty poor as well - we need to keep it in a certain spot downstairs to pick up the signal from the nursery upstairs.

The only benefit a monitor has if you are maybe out in the garden having a smoke with the door shut go with the simple cheap ones.

Car seats are expensive and annoying because one size doesn't fit all....the most annoying one being the "from birth" as they cost the most and only last about 6-9 months until the baby is too big for it. Maxi Cosi have got it sorted.

Steriliser - for the sake of 20 quid - buy a new one rather than using 2nd hand.

Breast pumps - wife bought one of the fancy ones - never been used - compelte waste of money.

Thermometer - buy a good one - we've got a digital one that goes in the ear - best purchase ever. Saves a lot of hassle (and I suppose expense) of going to the doctors in case of a temperature. Calpol, check temp, still high, calpol, etc.

UK Cost for prams and car seats are slightly cheaper but still super pricey.

Good luck with the baby and enjoy as many good nights sleeps as you can before he's born. They are a rarity once you have a baby.
Old Jun 14th 2011, 2:23 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

We bought a cheap pram from the Baby Shop, I had a feeling it would get wrecked the first time we flew, I was completely right, binned it and got another cheap one. Spent good money on the car seat though, got a birth to 14kg one (I think) can't remember weights to be honest. Lasted us right up until she was about 4.

steriliser get a new one, though I did used to use my vegetable steamer as well!

High chairs, avoid fabric you will be forever cleaning it, get a plastic one from Ikea.

And good luck!!

Old Jun 14th 2011, 2:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

al dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond repute

I was a keen 'pumper' with both my children but that's possibly because i was verging on being an alcoholic and the thought of 10 months with a 'oh, best only have one' AFTER doing the same while 9 months of pregnancy just filled me horror. It also meant that, especially with the first who was a terrible sleeper, that my husband could do the occasional feed.

An iso fix car seat is also magic as you don't have to muck around with straps, just pull the lever and bob's yer uncle. A maxi cosi than then just clips onto the pram frame is something that i would have murdered for 5 years ago, when they weren't legal in oz.

You can use a bit pot on the stove to just boil anything up if you don't have space etc for a steriliser. 6 months was a good rule of thumb for us and i still steam up a batch of dummies now and then.

Do bear in mind that you could have more children soon as many come unstuck buying a super pram for one and then have to buy a two seater only a year or so later...
Old Jun 14th 2011, 2:57 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

using a breast pump didn't remove the alcohol from the breast milk
Old Jun 14th 2011, 3:02 pm
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Re monitor i disagree not a waste of time especially in a villa, the philips one without the camera works everywhere no signal drop out as some of the cheap ones have. Can hear a pin drop through it and saves unwarranted trips up and down the bloody stairs.

Re pump, wife finds it handy as i can do night shifts and she gets some well needed sleep. Definitely not essential but bloody handy

As others have said sleep now cos that just won't happen again.
Old Jun 14th 2011, 3:07 pm
Forum Regular

mummy2dolly is a jewel in the roughmummy2dolly is a jewel in the roughmummy2dolly is a jewel in the roughmummy2dolly is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
I would pump and store ready for a night out, then pump and dump the alcoholed milk when I should have fed...

Just a word of warning about buying your travel system in the Uk and bringing it back with you..... we did this..... and we were charged a ridiculous amount of excess baggage for it.... it seems that this stuff is only 'free' to take on a flight if you actually have a baby with you
Old Jun 14th 2011, 3:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

al dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
LOL - don't be daft! It meant i had a store of milk so i could have a proper drink now and then (or reduce explosive levels after said nights' out).

Remember being at a hen do and the club had one loo. After a fews hours of wine etc i needed to 'pump and dump' as boobs were at dangerous levels. Was frantically pumping away and the girls in the queue were getting restlass so my well meaning mate said ' don't worry, she's not doing drugs, she's pumping breast milk'. Arrgh! I screamed tell them i'm doing drugs, tell them i'm doing drugs. Felt like such a a bloody heifer...
Old Jun 14th 2011, 3:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by mummy2dolly
I would pump and store ready for a night out, then pump and dump the alcoholed milk when I should have fed...

Just a word of warning about buying your travel system in the Uk and bringing it back with you..... we did this..... and we were charged a ridiculous amount of excess baggage for it.... it seems that this stuff is only 'free' to take on a flight if you actually have a baby with you
ha - same same

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.