Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Australia on top of the world for expat kids

Australia on top of the world for expat kids

Old Mar 15th 2010, 5:57 pm
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia on top of the world for expat kids

Originally Posted by Alexa
Don't know, why don't you go and check...and get the glasses while you are at it.
hahaha! good retort.

Now get back into the kitchen....
Old Mar 15th 2010, 7:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roadking
hahaha! good retort.

Now get back into the kitchen....
After you.....
Old Mar 16th 2010, 2:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spugsy
Oz is perfect for kids, it's fantastic.
So are you and Mrs Spugsy going to head there when you start having babies?
Old Mar 16th 2010, 2:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

My kid has grown up as a Western Expat in the Middle East. He went, and is still going to a private school. There are different nationalities in his class including Arabs, Asians, South Americans, Canadians , Europeans. We have an Asian person employed in our home. He sees poverty and wealth, sometimes extreme in both cases. We talk about all aspects of Expat life, lifestyle, opinions, nationalities, religion politics. He can experience / see some of the things we talk about "hands on". He has a lot more knowledge about many things than children at home do, simply because he actually sees them. He sees people doing good, people committing atrocious injustices etc. He is very balanced, eco conscious , hates waste and injustice.

I can't say it is not good for him to grow up here, one thing is for sure, he spots a "wanker" from a mile away. lol
Dubai has been a great experience for my kids too and I'll never regret bringing them here, the standard of education, quality of after school activities (mainly dance) and the weather is rubbish compared to what they're used to. We hate not being able to see the blue sky for most of the year because of the layer of dust in the air.
Old Mar 17th 2010, 9:23 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kim67
So are you and Mrs Spugsy going to head there when you start having babies?
We'd like that very much, but getting residency sure isn't easy pet, mrs spugsy was out there for 4 years when I met her as a traveller, and we'd love to go back there - we still have good mates over there, only thing is it really is so far from home.
Old Mar 17th 2010, 9:35 am
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spugsy
We'd like that very much, but getting residency sure isn't easy pet, mrs spugsy was out there for 4 years when I met her as a traveller, and we'd love to go back there - we still have good mates over there, only thing is it really is so far from home.

Last edited by Roadking; Mar 17th 2010 at 10:03 am. Reason: Oops, wrong thread, stoopid!
Old Mar 17th 2010, 10:00 am
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

He sees people doing good, people committing atrocious injustices etc. He is very balanced, eco conscious , hates waste and injustice.
Alexa, I'm genuinely curious here... I think it's great that your son feels this way, but surely, here of all places, there's a certain powerlessness with regards to doing anything meaningful with regards to the above?

I'm just thinking, back in the UK, there are loads of initiatives that actually make a difference - at home, volunteering, at schools, etc. Over here, even with the best will in the world, it's nigh on impossible to be "eco-conscious" and "hating waste" just ends in frustration.

Here in the UAE, believing in such grand causes just feels a bit like a middle class person observing the plight of the less fortunate (like middle-class regency women used to visit prisons and asylums) in order to feel "part of it".

Anyhow, aside from that, we're moving out before our children get to school age.. I don't want my children growing up as part of such a backward hierarchical system.
Old Mar 17th 2010, 11:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty
Alexa, I'm genuinely curious here... I think it's great that your son feels this way, but surely, here of all places, there's a certain powerlessness with regards to doing anything meaningful with regards to the above?

I'm just thinking, back in the UK, there are loads of initiatives that actually make a difference - at home, volunteering, at schools, etc. Over here, even with the best will in the world, it's nigh on impossible to be "eco-conscious" and "hating waste" just ends in frustration.

Here in the UAE, believing in such grand causes just feels a bit like a middle class person observing the plight of the less fortunate (like middle-class regency women used to visit prisons and asylums) in order to feel "part of it".

Anyhow, aside from that, we're moving out before our children get to school age.. I don't want my children growing up as part of such a backward hierarchical system.
Well, you can do something, you can start at home. And looking around, you see a lot of things that are not right. Which can be a good thing, because you will be all the more conscious of them. Sure, the big picture is frustrating, but again, that teaches you to deal with what you have in the best possible manner. I find it always helps to see what NOT to do. Especially with young adults.
Old Mar 17th 2010, 12:29 pm
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

Well, you can do something, you can start at home. And looking around, you see a lot of things that are not right. Which can be a good thing, because you will be all the more conscious of them. Sure, the big picture is frustrating, but again, that teaches you to deal with what you have in the best possible manner. I find it always helps to see what NOT to do. Especially with young adults.
That's a great answer. I've certainly found that my stay here has made me grateful for the small and not so small things... and has made me not take so much for granted, not that I really did before, but you know what I mean.
Old Mar 17th 2010, 1:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty
That's a great answer. I've certainly found that my stay here has made me grateful for the small and not so small things... and has made me not take so much for granted, not that I really did before, but you know what I mean.
I do.