Atmosphere at work

Old Dec 3rd 2008, 8:10 am

rowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Atmosphere at work

The atmosphere where I work is terrible, everyone is down, just been some pay off's and everyone is wondering who is next?
Why do management not just come out and tell everyone where we stand with cancelled/delayed contracts and the situation as they see it, and tell us the truth.

At first I thought the down turn had not hit Dubai as bad as the UK but I think its a lot worse than there, especially in construction.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 9:09 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Atmosphere at work

Originally Posted by rowell
The atmosphere where I work is terrible, everyone is down, just been some pay off's and everyone is wondering who is next?
Why do management not just come out and tell everyone where we stand with cancelled/delayed contracts and the situation as they see it, and tell us the truth.

At first I thought the down turn had not hit Dubai as bad as the UK but I think its a lot worse than there, especially in construction.
of course, the UK has loads in industries, Dubai just the one really, and its construction.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 9:25 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Atmosphere at work

Because people tend to stop bothering to do any actual work once they are told they are being made redundant . Usually they get busy updating their resumes and stealing the office stationary/laptops/projectors/anything not bolted down.

Hope you're OK mate, do you have "options" open elsewhere at the moment? Might be worth just keeping your feet in a few peoples doors as a "Plan B". Good luck .
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 9:33 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spugsy
of course, the UK has loads in industries, Dubai just the one really, and its construction.
and tourism which is definately going to be affected, people dont have the spare cash to holiday here anymore
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 10:13 am
W10

Which project are you working on? Is it one of the ones that hasn't been 'officially' shelved yet?

Old Dec 3rd 2008, 10:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
and tourism which is definately going to be affected, people dont have the spare cash to holiday here anymore
I know that one major hotel group has seriously cut back on its perks for senior managers and is not rehiring to fill vacated positions (which happens a lot with them)
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 10:27 am
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by W10
Which project are you working on? Is it one of the ones that hasn't been 'officially' shelved yet?
You mean delayed, of course..
Old Dec 4th 2008, 2:46 am

rowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by W10
10 went yesterday and another 6 to go today, none of my projects have YET been shelved, just polished up my resume could well be AD next by looks of things but out of the frying pan into the fire?
Old Dec 4th 2008, 2:57 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

10 went yesterday and another 6 to go today, none of my projects have YET been shelved, just polished up my resume could well be AD next by looks of things but out of the frying pan into the fire?
Emaar?
Old Dec 4th 2008, 4:47 am
BE Forum Addict

benzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond repute

Recruitment in AD has slowed considerably as well, in fact some of the major players have shelved offers to people who were in the middle of coming over.
Old Dec 5th 2008, 7:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Live for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by benzonar
Recruitment in AD has slowed considerably as well, in fact some of the major players have shelved offers to people who were in the middle of coming over.
I understand a major Uk consultant with offices in Dubai and AD has just made 300 redundant!

What worrying times not only for xmas but the immediate future.

At the moment there but for the grace of god go I
Old Dec 5th 2008, 7:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Live for now
I understand a major Uk consultant with offices in Dubai and AD has just made 300 redundant!

What worrying times not only for xmas but the immediate future.

At the moment there but for the grace of god go I
what letter does it start with?
Old Dec 6th 2008, 4:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Live for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by busybee2
what letter does it start with?
W
Old Dec 6th 2008, 4:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

bimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud of

People in Abu Dhabi expect that around half the local companies will still be hiring in 2009, been a serious influx of Dubai peeps lately as "safety first" comes into effect so I can´t see it as "into the fire" really.

The extent of the downturn in Dubai’s construction market became clear this week as it emerged some of the biggest UK consultants in the emirate are shedding staff.

EC Harris, which employs about 200 people in the region and has a joint venture with developer Sama Dubai, said it had moved about 15% of its Dubai staff to Abu Dhabi and made “selective cuts”.

Mark Prior, the firm’s regional managing director, said: “The market, particularly in Dubai, has gone southwards rapidly.

Abu Dhabi is slowing down, but not so much.” He added that the firm was building up its disputes and project recovery business in the region.

Last edited by bimcnorth; Dec 6th 2008 at 4:47 pm.
Old Dec 6th 2008, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

highlander393 is a name known to allhighlander393 is a name known to allhighlander393 is a name known to allhighlander393 is a name known to allhighlander393 is a name known to allhighlander393 is a name known to allhighlander393 is a name known to allhighlander393 is a name known to allhighlander393 is a name known to allhighlander393 is a name known to allhighlander393 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Live for now
W
if the second letter is S then that figures as they had a large team working on jumeira gardens which has all but died for the moment. they have also made a lot of cuts in the UK apparently.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.