British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Arrived in Dubai! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/arrived-dubai-782517/)

Saff_Parker Jan 4th 2013 6:58 pm

Arrived in Dubai!

Got here this evening! :D Not that it means much to most of you but I feel more of an official expat now.. although, I've only been on Emirati soil for about 4 hours.. so I am a 4 year old expat! :D

Kix Jan 4th 2013 8:57 pm

Re: Arrived in Dubai!

Originally Posted by Saff_Parker (Post 10464439)
Got here this evening! :D Not that it means much to most of you but I feel more of an official expat now.. although, I've only been on Emirati soil for about 4 hours.. so I am a 4 year old expat! :D

And you're not in a bar yet?

Pah, call yourself an expat....

Saff_Parker Jan 5th 2013 5:59 am

Originally Posted by Kix (Post 10464625)
And you're not in a bar yet?

Pah, call yourself an expat....

I'm afraid I *may* just be the only Brit expat in this city who doesn't drink alcohol.... so no, a bar wasn't my first point of call upon arrival last night! :)

Saff

UKCityGent Jan 5th 2013 6:46 am

Congratulations - hope you settle in ok

Fossildog Jan 5th 2013 6:56 am

How does that work then? Is it a year for an hour like some biblical punishment?

Blue Cat Jan 5th 2013 7:38 am

welcome :thumbup:

Saff_Parker Jan 5th 2013 8:00 am

Originally Posted by Fossildog (Post 10465153)
How does that work then? Is it a year for an hour like some biblical punishment?

hah!

For a second I wondered what the heck you were on about but just realised my mistake there. I blame the travel exhaustion!

Saff

Equestra Jan 5th 2013 8:25 am

Welcome to the Sandpit Saff!

Saff_Parker Jan 5th 2013 8:30 am

thanks guys!
Waking up to a blue sky and sunshine this morning was amazing!

Ditzy Jan 5th 2013 10:25 am

Originally Posted by Saff_Parker (Post 10465242)
thanks guys!
Waking up to a blue sky and sunshine this morning was amazing!

Let us remind you of that in August ;)

Welcome to the UAE! have a great time here. :thumbsup:

Meow Jan 5th 2013 12:43 pm

Welcome to the insane sand pit. :)

You'll have loads more questions, so you know where we are.

Saff_Parker Jan 5th 2013 12:48 pm

thanks guys! So far I've spent my whole day (my first day in Dubai!) traipsing around JLT/Marina/JBR today viewing flatshares with stops at coffeeshops inbetween (like right now! Carrying my trusty laptop around with me) Seen three apts, and two of them were lovely. Half tempted to go for one *right now* but obviously want to see a few more first.

I guess I've come at the perfect time - great walking weather! There was a flatshare I particularly liked.. based on my limited geographical knowledge of the Marina so far, I think it's a little far out from the action? It's next to the Marriot? Or is that still pretty central?

What about you guys who don't drive - do you find it a pain in the neck having to rely on taxis/metro? I was wondering today, would I totally hate this place in the summer when I need to spend 10 minutes outside the building waiting for a cab

Meow Jan 5th 2013 12:51 pm

Near the Marriot is fine. A couple of our regular posters live nearby. You're wise notot rush into anything. Get your bearings a little first.

Many people rely on cabs/buses/metro and if you are near a hotel, it's usually a good place to pick up a cab. You don't have to rely on ones in the street as you can order them over the phone.

Saff_Parker Jan 5th 2013 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10465500)
Near the Marriot is fine. A couple of our regular posters live nearby. You're wise notot rush into anything. Get your bearings a little first.

Many people rely on cabs/buses/metro and if you are near a hotel, it's usually a good place to pick up a cab. You don't have to rely on ones in the street as you can order them over the phone.

AH, good point about hotel/taxi pickup, I didn't consider that as a plus! Cheers :)

Millhouse Jan 5th 2013 1:42 pm

I love the metro and if i was in an apartment, I would definitely choose to be walking distance to a station.