Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Argentina & the Falklands

Wikiposts

Argentina & the Falklands

Old Jan 5th 2013, 6:20 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Argentina & the Falklands

Originally Posted by mentalist
Yeh and I'm sure there were plenty like you who once said...Keep India British, Keep Kenya British, Keep Jamaica British etc. We simply have to move with the times.
And Scotland.
Old Jan 5th 2013, 6:47 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
but now it's an expense the country can do without

I feel the same about Scotland............
I've corrected that for you
Old Jan 5th 2013, 7:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse

Oh, and WTF is the Sun thinking, placing an advert in the Argentine press?
Well, Kristina Kirchner did place adverts all over the British press, so I suspect this was a simple tit for tat (pun intended).
Old Jan 5th 2013, 9:00 pm
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikewot
I was involved, albeit peripherally, in Operation Corporate Also Known As the Falklands War, so I have some interest and I have had many friends serve down there (I missed out, despite having been warned for it).
You were RAF, of course you were on the peripheries ;-)..

Pedantic, but Operation Corporate was the Falklands Conflict..it was never ever a war. Can't remember the political reason for that, but there was certainly some reason.

Scamp, I've been there, my uncle fought on 2 Sisters, my best friends dad died on 2 sisters, I served with countless (now crusty old bastards) who served and some were actually on ships that were sunk..to actually stand on Darwin and see the route that the stupid arse H-Jones took to take a bullet up his hoop is pretty amazing (the stupidity).

Its actually a beautiful place
Old Jan 5th 2013, 9:31 pm
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commander
You were RAF, of course you were on the peripheries ;-)..
Hah! Victor tankers which performed a valuable service on Black Buck when the Vulcan bombed the runway.

see the route that the stupid arse H-Jones took to take a bullet up his hoop is pretty amazing (the stupidity).
And gave rise to the additional phrase after 'The cheque is in the post, 'I promise I won't come in your mouth', 'We're right behind you H'.
Old Jan 5th 2013, 10:17 pm
Forum Regular

Round-Bum is an unknown quantity at this point

Pedantic, but Operation Corporate was the Falklands Conflict..it was never ever a war. Can't remember the political reason for that, but there was certainly some reason.
Because Britain and Argentine were not at war with each other, but were in conflict over rule of The Falkland Islands. As I understand it.

And it meant my life insurance still covered me

Hah! Victor tankers which performed a valuable service on Black Buck when the Vulcan bombed the runway.
An incredible feat aerial of logistics! Very little physical damage done to the runway, but huge point made...
Old Jan 5th 2013, 10:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

I am continually surprised that so many people do not understand that the Empire is over. So many still have the mindset of 1897.
Old Jan 5th 2013, 10:36 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by scot47
I am continually surprised that so many people do not understand that the Empire is over. So many still have the mindset of 1897.
Surprising isn't it, given that you're the only one old enough to remember such a date
Old Jan 5th 2013, 10:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

We have these things called BOOKS that you young ones do not use !
Old Jan 5th 2013, 10:43 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

We have these things called BOOKS that you young ones do not use !
That's, like, an old people version of iBooks innit?
Old Jan 6th 2013, 1:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Beakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to behold

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ebt-fears.html

Consider the source..........but does the Argentinian President really think she can fly round the world on a British owned plane whilst spouting complete sh*te once again?
Old Jan 6th 2013, 1:40 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

The Empire is no more? When did that happen?
Old Jan 6th 2013, 1:48 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
The Empire is no more? When did that happen?
When the memsahib could not longer longer expect the char wallah to bring her a chotapeg before dinner.
Old Jan 6th 2013, 2:17 am
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough

When the memsahib could not longer longer expect the char wallah to bring her a chotapeg before dinner.
But that still happens in the Gulf...
Old Jan 6th 2013, 2:24 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Scamp
That's, like, an old people version of iBooks innit?
I asked my son for a newspaper and he told me that was so old fashioned and passed me a tablet. Still managed to swat that fly with it

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.