Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Argentina & the Falklands

Argentina & the Falklands

Old Jan 4th 2013, 7:33 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Argentina & the Falklands

I know it's not relevant to the ME but I enjoyed this article: http://www.fleetstreetfox.com/2013/0...ntina.html?m=1
Old Jan 4th 2013, 7:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Jim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Argentina & the Falklands

Originally Posted by mikewot
I know it's not relevant to the ME but I enjoyed this article: http://www.fleetstreetfox.com/2013/0...ntina.html?m=1
As a Falkland Islander there is only one thing I can say...............Keep the Falklands British!!!!!
Old Jan 4th 2013, 8:52 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jim Smith
As a Falkland Islander there is only one thing I can say...............Keep the Falklands British!!!!!
Yeh and I'm sure there were plenty like you who once said...Keep India British, Keep Kenya British, Keep Jamaica British etc. We simply have to move with the times.
Old Jan 4th 2013, 8:56 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Well the islanders get their say soon: A referendum on the political status of the Falkland Islands will be held on March 10-11, 2013. The islanders will be asked whether they support the continuation of their status as an Overseas Territory of the United Kingdom in view of Argentina's call for negotiations on the islands' sovereignty. Should the islanders reject the continuation of their current status, a second referendum on possible alternatives will be held. The proposed question is "Do you wish the Falkland Islands to retain their current political status as an Overseas Territory of the United Kingdom?" The final wording of the question was to have been adopted on November 21, 2012.

I note the current Argentine leader has jumped up on the usual 'Malvinas' bandwagon. Let's see how 'democratic' she is if the islanders vote to remain British.
Old Jan 4th 2013, 9:19 am
...---...

Fossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mentalist
Yeh and I'm sure there were plenty like you who once said...Keep India British, Keep Kenya British, Keep Jamaica British etc. We simply have to move with the times.
And look at how their societies have thrived and matured once the British left
Old Jan 4th 2013, 10:36 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fossildog
And look at how their societies have thrived and matured once the British left
Are you for real? Ask any Indian, Kenyan or Jamaican, matey? Your username says it all.
Old Jan 4th 2013, 10:59 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Are you for real? Ask any Indian, Kenyan or Jamaican, matey? Your username says it all.
Interesting you say Kenyan...would you say Zimbabwe, Liberia, Ivory Coast, Nigeria etc... have thrived with happy and well treated citizens?
Old Jan 4th 2013, 11:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Why does Westminster/Whitehall have one formula for the Falkands Islands and a completely different one for Diego Garcia ? Thew interests of the population of Diego Garcia were totally ignored - and they continue to be disregarded despite court victories.

Last edited by scot47; Jan 4th 2013 at 12:03 pm.
Old Jan 4th 2013, 11:56 am
...---...

Fossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond repute

So you feel that India, Kenya and Jamaica all have well developed societies on par with the West?
Old Jan 4th 2013, 12:44 pm
Forum Regular

Equestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by mikewot
Now that's my kind of learning! Fab article, thank you!
Old Jan 4th 2013, 12:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paracletus will become famous soon enoughParacletus will become famous soon enough

So you feel that India, Kenya and Jamaica all have well developed societies on par with the West?
Do you feel Indian, Kenyan or Jamaican culture is comparable to the west and as such, can be organized as societies of the west?

The colonial legacy is an interesting one, though I've only lived for any length of time in one of them, though visited several. Africa could do with some new borders, and a new view on leadership, which was directly inherited from their masters. Ruling by force and oppression continues.
Old Jan 4th 2013, 1:12 pm
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by scot47
Why does Westminster/Whitehall have one formula for the Falkands Islands and a completely different one for Diego Garcia ? Thew interests of the population of Diego Garcia were totally ignored - and they continue to be disregarded despite court victories.
Not entirely true is it, they've been paid compensation by both UK and Mauritius Governments, their last legal cases all failed and one is still pending (at European Court).
Old Jan 4th 2013, 1:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

Can we invite them over to Cowdray Park for a winner takes all chukka
Old Jan 4th 2013, 3:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

nope, not at all. But given that we raped them for a massive amount of their wealth and created massive structural political and cultural divides in order to control them you can kind of see that, apart from the railways, we didn't leave them in such good shape to become developed societies on par with the west.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for keeping parts of the empire... but there is no way we can control it now (our apathetic population can't even elect a government) --- so it's time to wake up to that fact.

Oh, and WTF is the Sun thinking, placing an advert in the Argentine press?
Old Jan 5th 2013, 3:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

In other news, the England rugby team will be touring Argentina this year (June). I have already written to the RFU at Twickenham to seek assurances that they will have the guts to refuse to play any matches in the city of Mendoza - or, more specifically, at this provocatively-named stadium:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estadio...nas_Argentinas

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.